ESPN Grantland on Chan's bad decisions yesterday

buffalonian

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The INT was on Fitz. He checked to that play when he saw the coverage. That's not to say that Gailey hadn't called a different pass play and it would have worked out any better. The bigger issue is not being able to punt the ball from reasonable field position and having confidence in your defense to get a stop.

GO BILLS!!!

FYI on the INT, Pears got absolutely blown by and Fitz got hit in 1.7 seconds (I timed it on my stopwatch, seriously) on a 3 man rush. Fitz should have eaten the sack. I actually don't have a huge problem w/ the 2 point decisions, NFL coaches by and large are super conservative when it comes to going for 2

The Bills are weak down the middle at every level of the organization. I'd rather have Perry Fewell back. Get rid of Buddah and give Whaley a shot. For gods sake, get a good QB.

Good QBs have a way of making everyone look good, including your defense, coach, GM and cheerleaders.

FYI on the INT, Pears got absolutely blown by and Fitz got hit in 1.7 seconds (I timed it on my stopwatch, seriously) on a 3 man rush. Fitz should have eaten the sack. I actually don't have a huge problem w/ the 2 point decisions, NFL coaches by and large are super conservative when it comes to going for 2

Eaten the sack on 4th down?

Just because most people do something doesn't make it right. Gailey absolutely should have gone for 2.

Just because most people do something doesn't make it right. Gailey absolutely should have gone for 2.

understood, I said that I didn't have a huge problem with it... most likely it was incorrect, but I don't think by any means think it was game-breaking. I think the stats said for the one at the end of the 3rd quarter that if you think you can make it 24% of the time you should go for it. But you know if we would have missed it, people would have been all over Chan. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Edited by jonramz

understood, I said that I didn't have a huge problem with it... most likely it was incorrect, but I don't think by any means think it was game-breaking. I think the stats said for the one at the end of the 3rd quarter that if you think you can make it 24% of the time you should go for it. But you know if we would have missed it, people would have been all over Chan. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

I think it was game-breaking.. what was the final score?

The worst part is that absolutely nothing would have changed if we had missed the two point conversion. The titans would have needed a touchdown to take the lead either way. There was essentially nothing to lose by going for two.

Eaten the sack on 4th down?

It wasn't forth down.

I'm glad he brought up the 4th and 1 field goal as well.

CJ Spiller was getting 6+ yards per carry. What does a FG give you in a TD battle? A loss.

The INT was on Fitz. He checked to that play when he saw the coverage. That's not to say that Gailey hadn't called a different pass play and it would have worked out any better. The bigger issue is not being able to punt the ball from reasonable field position and having confidence in your defense to get a stop.

GO BILLS!!!

Where did you hear he checked to a Pass play.

They were set up spread, it looked like a pass play was called.

I never read anything that says Fitz audible to a pass play?

TJ Graham was wide open.

I just watched the play again. Your stop watch is broken.

He has well over 2 seconds, which is enough in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102107/2012/REG7/titans@bills#menu=highlights&tab=recap

I think it was game-breaking.. what was the final score?

The worst part is that absolutely nothing would have changed if we had missed the two point conversion. The titans would have needed a touchdown to take the lead either way. There was essentially nothing to lose by going for two.

easy to say that in hindsight. titans kick a fg in the 4th after we miss it and are lining up for a game winner late and the board likewise implodes.

though it may have (probably was) right math-wise to go for it, its much easier to say after you see the final score. you cant just assume the 4th plays out the same (whether they made or missed the conversion)

Nope, nobody would have had anything to complain about. If he goes for 2 and doesn't convert, then we lose by 3 instead of 1 point.

It wasn't forth down.

I'm glad he brought up the 4th and 1 field goal as well.

CJ Spiller was getting 6+ yards per carry. What does a FG give you in a TD battle? A loss.

Where did you hear he checked to a Pass play.

They were set up spread, it looked like a pass play was called.

I never read anything that says Fitz audible to a pass play?

TJ Graham was wide open.

I just watched the play again. Your stop watch is broken.

He has well over 2 seconds, which is enough in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/g...ights&tab=recap

I didn't say that Fitz checked into a pass play. I'm sure a pass play was called. I'm saying that he checked into that pass play when he saw the coverage. I say this because I know what his hot reads are out of that formation against that type of coverage look. That and Fitz does that EVERY SINGLE TIME AGAINST THAT LOOK and has since he was named starter. The safety had him fooled BTW. I don't think that would have been complete even if Fitz made a perfect throw. That safety was gonna get there in time from what I saw.

GO BILLS!!!

easy to say that in hindsight. titans kick a fg in the 4th after we miss it and are lining up for a game winner late and the board likewise implodes.

though it may have (probably was) right math-wise to go for it, its much easier to say after you see the final score. you cant just assume the 4th plays out the same (whether they made or missed the conversion)

All that is assuming we miss the two point conversion.. which we likely would have converted based on how we were playing and our opponent (the worst defense in the league). Especially knowing that our own defense is the second worst in the league. You really have to go for two there.

Just to be clear.. you do think they should have gone for two, dont you?

All that is assuming we miss the two point conversion.. which we likely would have converted based on how we were playing and our opponent (the worst defense in the league). Especially knowing that our own defense is the second worst in the league. You really have to go for two there.

Just to be clear.. you do think they should have gone for two, dont you?

in the moment i was leaning no (for some reason it didnt click in my head how close to the 4th it was), in hindsight (though trying not to take the outcome into account) im leaning yes.

The Bills are weak down the middle at every level of the organization. I'd rather have Perry Fewell back. Get rid of Buddah and give Whaley a shot. For gods sake, get a good QB.

Good QBs have a way of making everyone look good, including your defense, coach, GM and cheerleaders.

I'm sorry, but the talent level of this organization is way better than we've had in a long, long time. That's on Buddy.

Chan is the best OC we've had since Marchibroda IMO.

No, as for game management and the DC's....those have been mediocre to poor.

I really like Chan as OC because he gets the most out of his talent. But for some reason, he surrounds himself with average to below average talent. It's becoming clear that he is a guy who is a better coordinator than head coach. Personally, I'd love to hire a defensive minded head coach and keep Chan as an OC. no one he'd do it but Gailey is a good offensive coach. However, he is about to strike out on his second DC and talked himself into Fitz as his QB. Those mistakes will be his downfall.