Firing Wannstedt during the bye is the right thing to do

I won't cry any tears if Wanny got fired but I'm still no excusing the players. Say all you want to about Wanny and his scheme, there is no reason why Mario and Dareus can't even come close to making a play all game. That's on them.

I think we have a team of nice guys and we have had for far too long. Do you think players would be playing like this if we had Ray Lewis leading them? There needs to be some real leadership and someone to get in the faces of these guys. It's flat out embarrassing.

Agreed. The system may be bad, but with all the talent they have up front, they shouldn't be this bad. It would be one thing if they got just a little bit better than last year, but they got worse! Much worse, and I didn't think that was possible

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. The system may be bad, but with all the talent they have up front, they shouldn't be this bad. It would be one thing if they got just a little bit better than last year, but they got worse! Much worse, and I didn't think that was possible

And I love all the complaining now, but everyone was totally on board. Who didn't think we wouldn't have a dominant d line? Who didn't think Wanny was a huge improvment over Edwards? I would be more mad if I wasn't totally shocked. I could imagine us being 3-4 I guess but never in a million years could I imagine the defense being this bad. and if most fans were honest, they couldn't either. This is just shocking how bad they are.

And I love all the complaining now, but everyone was totally on board. Who didn't think we wouldn't have a dominant d line? Who didn't think Wanny was a huge improvment over Edwards? I would be more mad if I wasn't totally shocked. I could imagine us being 3-4 I guess but never in a million years could I imagine the defense being this bad. and if most fans were honest, they couldn't either. This is just shocking how bad they are.

Yes this is shocking, but Chan's response to this is even more shocking. How Chan has not fired Wanny at this point is beyond comprehension.

i am reminded how bad the 49ers were when they did the spending spree a few years ago. it took some time for that team to get it together. i don't think that firing wanny will really do anything. i think the defensive players need to realize they are being made to be a joke. yeah i'd prefer a defensive coach who'd live and die by the blitz. but i've always liked that approach. i don't think there is a good defensive mind out there right now who wouldn't want to switch the scheme back to a 3-4. the talent is there, the scheme is weak, you can't just use a nickel d on everything. which was weird because against ari there were all kinds of variations that were used. i think its that wanny coaches too conservatively. he doesn't want to get embarrassed and then does because the defensive scheme is too weak.

I have to give fans that go to the games a lot of credit. I was a season ticket holder for years. About 3 years ago, mid December I am sitting in the stands. I'm cold, but still there and I am about 10 rows up looking at the players. I realized I wanted to be there more them they did and I was paying and they were being paid. I made a pact that day not to return until I saw evidence of a changes attitude amoung players and coaches. Simply put, that has not happened. We have seen the same misdirected, unpassionate team ever since. We have changes coaches, players, GM's and still the same thing.

I have heard it all. It't the players, its the coaches, its the refs, its the Patriot's cheating, its the league front office becuase we are a small city team. The reality of it is, is that this team (and the teams of years past) have found ways to lose football games. Yesterday was just another prime example. They are up, at home against a very medicore team. 90% of other teams would put that game away. We have a holding call that takes away a critical first down, then an interception (the worse possible thing that could happen) and then a defense breakdown.

Bottom line is someone has to pay for this, if for nothing else then to show the remaider of the coaches and team that this is unacceptable. The fan base and people making personnel decisions have been too nice for too long.

Why is it that coaches on good teams get in a ref's grill when a bad call has been made. Has anyone since Marv Levy did that for the Bills.

The answer is simple and readily apparent. There is a lack of passion on this team and there has been for the last decade plus. This lack of passion starts with Mr. Wilson and flows all the way down to the long snapper. This is a bad team with a bad culture. There are some bright spots, but they are few and far between.

So firing Wanny does not mean that he will be replaced by someone better, or that there is someone better that will come it. It simply is a message to the remainder of the team that this is simply unacceptable. Its a message that no one is safe, and that its a privelege to have this job and those who are fortunate enought must play with passion.

Its a high paying job and i believe they deserve the money for the pain their bodies experience and the dollars they generate, but it does not discount the fact that you have to play with passion.

I'm 100% with you there. I thought for sure that the offense would be the limiting factor this season. Oh how wrong I was.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wanny has been out of the loop too long it seems. Sitting cozy in that goddamn booth isnt helping anything. Wanny, get your old ass on the field and shake these guys up during a game. I want to see him yelling at guys and grabbing their jerseys. We have the talent on defense, I truly believe that. But without a leader talking them up on the sidelines and making adjustments on the fly it will never be successful. Just another has-been stealing money from Ralph. How could our defense play any worse? The Titans scored on almost every possession.

Edited by Smears

You are right. I didn't believe the best in the league talk but no way did any of us think we were going to be this bad on defense. Of course bottom of the league last year historically bad this year . . . Folks just habent gotten past the preseason hype to realize how incredibly bad the D is.