Anyone here make jerky?

boyst

There are a lot of hunters here, I have seen. Does anyone here have experience with making jerky? I know deer jerky is popular, and maybe some have made beef jerky. I am wondering what kind of dehydrators or smokers anyone prefers. Looking at buying one and reviews on Amazon are not being that helpful, and the internet is all over the place with reviews on gas, charcoal, electric, heat, etc.

Yeah, as a matter of fact I made jerky this morning. 0:)

It's good to be honest Chef. :thumbsup:

First person I thought of when I read jerky was DC Tom. :lol:

I make venison and goose jerky. I have a brinkman electric smoker.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1287362&cagpspn=pla

I talked with others I know that use charcoal ones, you have to soak your wood before using it and you have to monitor the temp constantly. The electric one doesn't require the wood to be wet and the temp is very constant.

Edited by Gary M

There are a lot of hunters here, I have seen. Does anyone here have experience with making jerky? I know deer jerky is popular, and maybe some have made beef jerky. I am wondering what kind of dehydrators or smokers anyone prefers. Looking at buying one and reviews on Amazon are not being that helpful, and the internet is all over the place with reviews on gas, charcoal, electric, heat, etc.

My father has made venison jerky now for as long as I've been alive. Spice wise it is pretty standard I assume; liquid smoke, meat tenderizer, cayenne, salt, and a few other things. The meat was just thinned out in a baking sheet and then laid on top of our woodstove for a few days. Sounds pretty primitive, but it dehydrated the jerky out just fine. He now has some cheap food dehyrdater now which works just the same, but a bit more sanitary I suppose. Getting one of those jerky guns is nice to get consistent slices or sticks.

Care to share how you converted the freezer...I want to do this sometime

Send me a PM to remind me. I'm crazy busy right now and I want to post in here in case anyone else wants to know. It's very simple but I want to link to the site I used to make it.

I use a big chief smoker and smoke lots of venison and salmon, I am a pretty serious hunter and just shot a moose in Alaska and brought back 4oolbs of meat, I have been making jerky for 2 weeks, Im me if you want a recipe, you can find the big chief at WalMart http://luhrjensensmokers.com/

I have two steers at the packager now, took'm Monday. I pick them up in a few weeks, most of it is sold, but I will snatch up a few cuts. I promise if I ever save up enoguh money and get up there to a Bills game I will bring beef. Heck, if someone would furnish the costs to get there I would come up and make you all burgers!

Keep the advice coming, thanks guys!

http://www.acehardwa...362&cagpspn=pla

I talked with others I know that use charcoal ones, you have to soak your wood before using it and you have to monitor the temp constantly. The electric one doesn't require the wood to be wet and the temp is very constant.

I have heard that about the electric smokers but I am very skeptical of this because it doesn't sound old fashioned enough, you know like it 'ought be.'

By the way I make my owne cured sausages. I've converted a freezer into a curing box. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

And we just took a freezer to the dump today...if only.

My father has made venison jerky now for as long as I've been alive. Spice wise it is pretty standard I assume; liquid smoke, meat tenderizer, cayenne, salt, and a few other things. The meat was just thinned out in a baking sheet and then laid on top of our woodstove for a few days. Sounds pretty primitive, but it dehydrated the jerky out just fine. He now has some cheap food dehyrdater now which works just the same, but a bit more sanitary I suppose. Getting one of those jerky guns is nice to get consistent slices or sticks.

I have done this, myself. It was entirely an accident. I wanted a steak and it was frozen so I put it in the oven on low (250). Forgot about it for like 10 hours and ended up with a weird beef jerky-ish product since it was not spiced.

I use a big chief smoker and smoke lots of venison and salmon, I am a pretty serious hunter and just shot a moose in Alaska and brought back 4oolbs of meat, I have been making jerky for 2 weeks, Im me if you want a recipe, you can find the big chief at WalMart http://luhrjensensmokers.com/

Which big chief? There were quite a few. I would not mind one I could use as a dehydrator, as well. I have a lot of fruit trees on the farm that could be used.

400 lbs. of meat from a moose? Wow, I did not realize there would be that much meat, what is the carcass weight?

Yeah, as a matter of fact I made jerky this morning. 0:)

Gary wants the recipe, I think.

I have two steers at the packager now, took'm Monday. I pick them up in a few weeks, most of it is sold, but I will snatch up a few cuts. I promise if I ever save up enoguh money and get up there to a Bills game I will bring beef. Heck, if someone would furnish the costs to get there I would come up and make you all burgers!

Keep the advice coming, thanks guys!

I have heard that about the electric smokers but I am very skeptical of this because it doesn't sound old fashioned enough, you know like it 'ought be.'

I have done this, myself. It was entirely an accident. I wanted a steak and it was frozen so I put it in the oven on low (250). Forgot about it for like 10 hours and ended up with a weird beef jerky-ish product since it was not spiced.

Which big chief? There were quite a few. I would not mind one I could use as a dehydrator, as well. I have a lot of fruit trees on the farm that could be used.

400 lbs. of meat from a moose? Wow, I did not realize there would be that much meat, what is the carcass weight?

Gary wants the recipe, I think.

A moose on the hoof weighs about 1500 lbs, That ia an Alaska/Yukon moose which is bigger than the ones in Quebec! They only make a Big chief and little chief, the only difference is the amount you can smoke at one time, The Bradley smokers are a little fancier and a lot more expensive! Let me know if you want ideas, recipies, or what have you! Would be glad to help, this is my area of specialty! Edited by Buffalo 66

My understanding is it can't be a modern freezer, and this may be regular smokers not cold smokers. The old freezers '50-60's don't have the bad chemicals and insulation in them and are food grade stainless.. but I'll defer to Chef on this...

My understanding is it can't be a modern freezer, and this may be regular smokers not cold smokers. The old freezers '50-60's don't have the bad chemicals and insulation in them and are food grade stainless.. but I'll defer to Chef on this...

This was a 25 year old upright.

I will find one that old no problem if Chef says it needs to be.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1287362&cagpspn=pla

Mmm goose. I've got 70 lbs of goose sausage coming my way. Where do ya hunt?

how much smoke does this give off? I am wondering if this would be able to be used on a 2nd(of 3) floor apartment balcony without pissing off my neighbors. thoughts?