Worst Coaching Staff in 12 Years? In Context

San-O

http://www.pro-footb....com/teams/buf/

Given the supposed better talent than the Williams, Mularkey, Jauron era, Gailey and staff have not cracked 6 wins now entering their 3rd year.

Williams go to 8-8 with the garbage Ol Whitey assembled.

Mularkey actually got to 9-7 one year?

Jauron: 7 wins three years running, with Marv and however.

This may be the worst coaching staff by far, as the talent seems much better on paper, to most.

Yikes.

The special teams under Dick Jauron and Bobby April were excellent. The offense was awful and boring.

The defense under Greg Williams was good. The offense sucked.

The offense under Chan Gailey is much improved. He's getting the most out of the limited talent he has to work with.

Why can't everything come together one friggin' time, dammit!

Its' hard to measure such things...but I have to say, as someone who has been rooting for the Bills, with cognizance, since Lou Saban V.2, I never hated a time in Bills history as much as the Dick Jauron era.

Chan has got his problems, no doubt, but I am not at the pitch-fork level with him...yet! It was during the Jauron era that my blind, eternal optimism about the Bills was snuffed out. I am not even going to necessarily blame it on Jauron, his coaches, his players...but I really hated watching the Bills during those years...that whole concept of playing dull as church football, waiting for the other team to make a mistake, so you might be able to pull off a three point win was just brutal.

This year, with all the enthusiasm surrounding the team in the off-season, I would say I am more in shock than anything...not so much by the losses (I had their record at 2-3 after five weeks, with losses to the Jets, Pats and 49ers), but by the sheer apathy and incompetence they seem to play with, in each of the losses. I expected to lose to the 49ers. but expected more of a 21-17 kind of game...a 35-31 game against the Pats, maybe... these last two weeks reminded of the back to back drubbings last season against Dallas and San Diego. Only difference is, these come way too early in the season not to start thinking something is truly wrong with this team.

I honestly did not expect the playoff drought to end this year, but I really thought we would see enough progress to think next year would, finally, be that year...still a lot of football to play...but it is not looking encouraging. It is starting to feel like we are spinning our wheels again... assuming there is a next season, and the Bills don't turn it around, I would love to see Doug Whaley get a shot as GM of this team...

Remember when we ran Killdrive out of town and he on two super bowls?

Perry Fewell has one too.

It makes me wonder if its not the coaching... i dont know what it is tho

Funny, Kevin Gilbride has been involved in some of the most prolific offenses in the NFL over the last 25 years...but he was a "bum" for us! :lol:

http://www.pro-footb....com/teams/buf/

Given the supposed better talent than the Williams, Mularkey, Jauron era, Gailey and staff have not cracked 6 wins now entering their 3rd year.

Williams go to 8-8 with the garbage Ol Whitey assembled.

Mularkey actually got to 9-7 one year?

Jauron: 7 wins three years running, with Marv and however.

This may be the worst coaching staff by far, as the talent seems much better on paper, to most.

Yikes.

That's just wrong on so many levels. A big loss Sunday & somethings happens at the bye.........Well Maybe.

The special teams under Dick Jauron and Bobby April were excellent. The offense was awful and boring.

The offense under Chan Gailey is much improved. He's getting the most out of the limited talent he has to work with.

Everyone seems to hate It's-hard-to-win-in-the-NFL Jauron but as you say...

DJ - & Perry Fewell - were good defensive coaches

April was fantastic with ST.

We only lacked a good OC to have a solid coaching staff in those days.

DJ's 7-9 records were not abysmal accomplishments considering the paucity of player talent.

I think Chan has done okay with limited talent on offense. But Wanny's D is underperforming incredibly, and Chan, as HC, deserves some of that blame.

I remember some bad defenses in the past when our poor starters weren't on the field because of injury and our pathetic backups replaced them. Even in these scenarios, our D wasn't this hopeless.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I really don't see this at all - not trying to be ornery, just puzzled. We started the season with a good OL and 2 of the best backs in football. We unveiled a power run game against KC. We utilized Corey Mac against the Browns. Then against the Jets, NE, and SF it's back to passing on 3rd and 2. That's getting the most out of limited talent? Really? Really?

All those coaches and only one decent 8-10 game stretch of QB play by Drew Bledsoe in all those years...Maybe the common thread is QB play and FO evaluation of QB's. Offensive minded and defensive minded coaches alike have all failed. The only constant - the QB play has been putrid!

I really don't see this at all - not trying to be ornery, just puzzled. We started the season with a good OL and 2 of the best backs in football. We unveiled a power run game against KC. We utilized Corey Mac against the Browns. Then against the Jets, NE, and SF it's back to passing on 3rd and 2. That's getting the most out of limited talent? Really? Really?

The O-line sucked before Gailey arrived. Now it's a strength. Jackson had some success under Jauron but has fluorished under Gailey. You can't tell me Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson are playing way beyond their potential. Fitzpatrick sucked as a back-up in Cinncy and Johnson couldn't get on the field before Gailey got here.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

The O-line sucked before Gailey arrived. Now it's a strength. Jackson had some success under Jauron but has fluorished under Gailey. You can't tell me Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson are playing way beyond their potential. Fitzpatrick sucked as a back-up in Cinncy and Johnson couldn't get on the field before Gailey got here.

The Bills already had C Eric Wood and G Andy Levitre when Gailey arrived, it took 3 years to add LT Cordy Glenn(dunno why!) The Bills still don't have a really good RT / RG, not when it comes to pass protecting for more then 3 seconds

Most Bills fans knew how good Fred Jackson was in 09, which is why most fans questioned the selection of RB CJ Spiller when the team had more pressing needs at pass rusher, LT, RT, OLB.

I sure as hell can tell you that Perry Fewell benched Trent Edwards and started Fitz in 09. Fitz playing in 10 games and starting 8 of them. Fitz's record in 09 was 4-4. If you remember Chan Gailey picked Trent Edwards as his starter for the 2010 season and gave Edwards most of the reps, its the reason Fitz wasn't ready to take over in 2010 and the Bills went 0-8 to start the season

Chan Gailey is a hack and a loser, all he knows how to do is emulate the Patriots offense,, and throw throw throw out of 4-5 WR shotgun sets. The problem is Gailey doesn't realize he doesn't have Tom Brady at QB, he doesn't have the Patriots receiving corps. Gailey also doesn't have the Patriots O line, and can't protect Fitz for more then 3 seconds on most passing plays.

Sure Gailey can make a backup QB look half way decent with some good stats, and he has done this with several teams. The problem is Gaily doesn't win games that way because for the most part they are always playing from behind and the QB has to throw to try and get back into the game.

The strength of the Bills offense when Gailey first got to Buffalo and even now is in the running game. First with Lynch and Jackson and now Jackson and Spiller, the RB's have always been better then the QB's. The problem is Gailey doesn't know how to build a dominate run game to take pressure off the QB and defense. All he knows is running the ball out of a spread passing formation which has yielded good results in some games, but the team still loses because the O line can't control the line of scrimmage.

So yea, this coaching staff just on offense is alone is worse then Jauron and his band of clowns in OC Turk Schonert along with QB JP Losman & QB Trent Edwards. The defense, i never in my wildest dreams could have thought someone could field a worse defense then the bend but don't break Tampon 2. But Gailey not only managed to do it switching to a 3-4, he also managed to break NFL records in his 4-3 with all those 1st round draft picks and a 100 million dollar DE.

This coaching staff is Hank Bullough / Kay Stephenson bad, or worse. Those 2-14 teams never broke NFL records like the defenses under Gailey George Edwards set a franchise record for worst defense against the run. Dave Wannstooge just set an NFL first for allowing a 300 yard passer and 300 runner in a game.