"Brees' selfishness to blame for Saints' 0&4 start&#34

Lol c'mon with these cockamamie allegations, seriously Drew Brees is not the reason the Saints are 0-4. I think the whole team is responsible especially the defense. If Adam is going to make a case for Drew being solely responsible for their horrible season (thus far) then he should also state that the Saints are only the Saints because of Drew Brees. Almost every single high profile player going into signing their last big contract is considered a douche of sorts. Drew has done more for that city and team than anyone else. I'll put it like this, I'd rather have Drew Brees on our team for $100mil than Mario Williams for the almost the same price.

Don't care about Brees one way or the other.

I agree with Joe D's assessment though. And I think he's an ungrateful prick with no appreciation for the players that made it possible for him to be quibbling over the difference between $18m and $23m in the first place.

He's lucky that when he's old and drooling into a cup while not being able to remember the names of his children, he will be in the best facilities and not have to worry about paying for it.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't care about Brees one way or the other.

I agree with Joe D's assessment though. And I think he's an ungrateful prick with no appreciation for the players that made it possible for him to be quibbling over the difference between $18m and $23m in the first place.

Exactly acts like it was all about him and nothing else. No mention of coach payton, nor the team and leagues commitment to elevating that franchise post-Katrina. Like he rode in on a white horse on his own. Well if he's such a lone ranger why is that chargers, a team widely acknowledged as most talented in the league, fizzled with him at the helm.

Exactly acts like it was all about him and nothing else. No mention of coach payton, nor the team and leagues commitment to elevating that franchise post-Katrina. Like he rode in on a white horse on his own. Well if he's such a lone ranger why is that chargers, a team widely acknowledged as most talented in the league, fizzled with him at the helm.

He won the franchise a ring, something I'm guessing the "most talented" team in the league would love to have.

You really are a piece of work sometimes. He and Payton are EXTREMELY close friends. They reference each others great track records often. You act like he throws him under the bus to get ahead. The guy was in contract negotiations - not always a time to get modest and humble. He's been fantastic and deserved to say it.

As for the league lifting the saints up - in baffled by what you mean. Truly, baffled.

And last up - rivers had those talented teams primarily in his résumé. Remember, trading Eli getting all those high picks that worked out? Really, again, do look up his last two years there- mid 90s qb rating, 21-11 record, trip to the playoffs.... And yes, much like rivers - a playoff game lost on the foot of Nate Kaeding. He even went to the probowl, before Sean Payton generously decided to pick him off the trash heap, as you often make it sound. He was given a top dollar deal because he, despite injury at the time, had shown to be a top flight qb.

It just amazes me that you act like he's just a system qb, whos just kinda good but nothing special. He's the fastest to 40k yards, single season completion percentage and yardage record holder, Super Bowl MVP, career leader in passing yards per game, has a career 2:1 td:int ratio, and is about to break a 50+ year td streak record..... The mans going to be a hall of famer.

You dislike him personally and let it color your opinion of him professionally.

Edited by NoSaint

Drew Brees was a huge jackass all offseason and a completely selfish prick when it came to the contract negotiations. His reputation definitely took a hit after all of his douchebaggery. He became extremely unlikeable.

However, he's not at fault for the 0-4 start. That's on the defense.

So the defense tied up money in a protracted holdout and handicapped their ability to make roster moves?

That happens when you do not have a leader like Sean Payton as a good leader won't help you go 0-4!

That's right. Brees had an opportunity to fill that leadership vacuum. And instead "Mr good guy team player" manipulated and gouged for every last penny of his almighty's demands.

Pro athletes need to take the most they can in every negotiation. Brees owes it to himself and his family to make as much as possible. He's an MVP caliber QB with a Superbowl ring--you have a number and you don't settle for a penny less. Call it greed and selfishness if you will; but the owners didn't become billionaires by taking less. A pro athlete is a corporation, and as such its duty is to maximize profits. If a corporation is leaving money on the table and not maxing out its potential profits it's shareholders can sue. Corporations are amoral they are legally people but are not subject to the same morality as you or I. A corp only acts in the interests of profits and the shareholders. I don't see why players should be any different when it comes to contracts and money

Pro athletes need to take the most they can in every negotiation. Brees owes it to himself and his family to make as much as possible. He's an MVP caliber QB with a Superbowl ring--you have a number and you don't settle for a penny less. Call it greed and selfishness if you will; but the owners didn't become billionaires by taking less. A pro athlete is a corporation, and as such its duty is to maximize profits. If a corporation is leaving money on the table and not maxing out its potential profits it's shareholders can sue. Corporations are amoral they are legally people but are not subject to the same morality as you or I. A corp only acts in the interests of profits and the shareholders. I don't see why players should be any different when it comes to contracts and money

This.

Thank you for taking the time to write what I was thinking.