Gailey is right, mental toughness is the issue

TPS

Gailey is correct. His team, especially his defense, plays passively. They play football as if it's a sport solely played by X's and O's; it's not. Not only must you execute a game plan, but you must physically intimidate/dominate your opponent to win consistently. Kyle Williams felt he had to pump the D up for KC, and it worked. Unfortunately, the Bills lack that innate physical mentality, so someone has to create it. In fact, Mario epitomizes this personality of the Bills' D: all of the talent in the world, but he doesn't create any fear in the opponent. Put a mauler in front of him, and you essentially nuetralize him.

Where's the physically intimidating D Wanny had with Dallas? That's what I'd like to see!

Gailey is correct. His team, especially his defense, plays passively. They play football as if it's a sport solely played by X's and O's; it's not. Not only must you execute a game plan, but you must physically intimidate/dominate your opponent to win consistently. Kyle Williams felt he had to pump the D up for KC, and it worked. Unfortunately, the Bills lack that innate physical mentality, so someone has to create it. In fact, Mario epitomizes this personality of the Bills' D: all of the talent in the world, but he doesn't create any fear in the opponent. Put a mauler in front of him, and you essentially nuetralize him.

Where's the physically intimidating D Wanny had with Dallas? That's what I'd like to see!

It's not Chan's defense. The D belongs soley to DW and Gailey is fine with that.

And as for mental toughness, Gailey may believe that is what's needed, but he also stated he had no idea how to accomplish that or he would have already done it.

Edited by kidprison

Are you kidding me Gailey? Mental toughness, for real?!?! Just another piss poor excuse from this guy.

NFL teams usually take on the image of thier coach.. Gailey runs a spread, finesse, timing offense with an innaccurate QB, and marginal(if that) recievers in Buffalo. A total recipe for disaster. We are soft and always will be soft. And he is questioning mental toughness? Your coaching,play calling and offense(don't even want to get into the D here) will not work ever here with the current roster. If you don't realize that then you are an idiot. You need to take accountability for crappy playcalling and not question you players mental toughness. Our running game is our strength. We should be running the ball atleast 55% of the time, and handcuff Fitz. I would love to see some power I, with Cory McIntyre and run it down other teams throats for an entire half, with some play action and NO SHOTGUN. Our countless 3 and outs on offense stops the clock all the time and leave the D on the field for the majority of the game(NOT making an excuse for the D here at all). How bout establishing the run when we were up 21-7 and kill some clock, rather then running the garbage 4,5 wide every play with 3 consecutive passes by an innaccurate QB. It is what it is. We are what we are. Softies.

Gailey, get your head outta your ass and stop making excuses. Run the damn ball and man up. First become a tough, hard nosed team. Then worry about the mental part. Nobody is afraid of the BILLS. Ever.

Wanny still thinks it is the year 1992

Edited by bobshaw81

Our running game is our strength. We should be running the ball atleast 55% of the time, and handcuff Fitz. I would love to see some power I, with Cory McIntyre and run it down other teams throats for an entire half, with some play action and NO SHOTGUN. ... How bout establishing the run when we were up 21-7 and kill some clock, rather then running the garbage 4,5 wide every play with 3 consecutive passes by an innaccurate QB.

Good point. One way to stop the Patriots offense is to keep them off the field, ball control would have helped a lot.

Sorry if I'm gonna insult a bunch of posters here but IMO, anyone who pins the loss predominantly on the players doesn't know football.

Well, as much as folks like to do it, no football is ever decided by one individual player or coach. So it's stupid to try to blame one single person because any number of plays can change the outcome.

Bills' coaches got outcoached but I expect so much more out of that d line. I would have signed up for a 2 td led in the 3rd quarter against the Pats with our new defense teeing off on Brady. It didn't happen and I will put more blame of the players than coaches. Bill Belichick was Dick Jauron until he lucked into Brady.

Defensively, the refusal to blitz (ever!) makes them seem very weak IMO.

Offensively, the frequent empty backfield indicates weakness as well. "Oh don't worry, we won't try to sneak a run in there. We've got Ryan Fitzpatrick, you know..."

Weak all around.

I have lost a lot of respect for Gailey due to the Bills' mental softness.

Are you kidding me Gailey? Mental toughness, for real?!?! Just another piss poor excuse from this guy.

NFL teams usually take on the image of thier coach.. Gailey runs a spread, finesse, timing offense with an innaccurate QB, and marginal(if that) recievers in Buffalo. A total recipe for disaster. We are soft and always will be soft. And he is questioning mental toughness? Your coaching,play calling and offense(don't even want to get into the D here) will not work ever here with the current roster. If you don't realize that then you are an idiot. You need to take accountability for crappy playcalling and not question you players mental toughness. Our running game is our strength. We should be running the ball atleast 55% of the time, and handcuff Fitz. I would love to see some power I, with Cory McIntyre and run it down other teams throats for an entire half, with some play action and NO SHOTGUN. Our countless 3 and outs on offense stops the clock all the time and leave the D on the field for the majority of the game(NOT making an excuse for the D here at all). How bout establishing the run when we were up 21-7 and kill some clock, rather then running the garbage 4,5 wide every play with 3 consecutive passes by an innaccurate QB. It is what it is. We are what we are. Softies.

Gailey, get your head outta your ass and stop making excuses. Run the damn ball and man up. First become a tough, hard nosed team. Then worry about the mental part. Nobody is afraid of the BILLS. Ever.

Wanny still thinks it is the year 1992

At first I thought that this was a dumb post but I do agree with you on a lot of what you said. First of all, the Bills main problem is lack of mental toughness. IMO, this mainly applies to Fitzpatrick and the D-line. The D-line was putting a lot of pressure on Brady in the first half after the first drive and was completely dominating him. When the second half rolled in they just got steam rolled. Extremely talented guys but they just gave up. The defense in its entirety also falls into this category after that game with the biggest collapse of a D I've ever seen. With Fitz its more a problem of him getting rattled. When he doesn't have a lot of pressure on him like in the Browns and Chiefs game he performs fine. When he loses his confidence and starts feeling pressure he starts throwing interceptions.

About Gaily's offense, it does work BUT you completely left out the fact that the Bills have two star running backs. We have an average QB and average recievers but our two backs are great. When our two backs are hurt and are nonfactors like that game, then yes, it isn't going to work but when they are in and tearing up the D then we're fine. I completely agree that our running game is our strength and the fact that we weren't running that much was one of my biggest concerns with regards to play calling. I don't think we need to be a hard nosed running team and I don't know if that's what you're implying or if you're talking specifically about that last game but just having CJ and Freddy run all over the opposing D is good enough.

Really??? And here I thought it was lack of talent.

Not at all! The point is they have talent. What they lack is a physical presence that creates a little fear in the opponent. Some of the responses missed my point. I'm not defending Gailey, but he is right, the Bills, especially the D, lack a physical attitude. I disagree with anyone who thinks they lack talent; they don't. Mario and Anderson are very talented. Neither one of them is physically mean. Watch a 49ers game or even a Miami game, and those defenses are physically intimidating as well as talented. The Bills have the talent; they lack the toughness. Gailey calls it mental toughness. Same difference.

Not at all! The point is they have talent. What they lack is a physical presence that creates a little fear in the opponent. Some of the responses missed my point. I'm not defending Gailey, but he is right, the Bills, especially the D, lack a physical attitude. I disagree with anyone who thinks they lack talent; they don't. Mario and Anderson are very talented. Neither one of them is physically mean. Watch a 49ers game or even a Miami game, and those defenses are physically intimidating as well as talented. The Bills have the talent; they lack the toughness. Gailey calls it mental toughness. Same difference.

Exactly, just watch the Patriots D in the last game. They dominated because they were extremely physical with us. However when Gailey said mental toughness I think he was referring more to the fact that the defense just completely gave up in the 2nd half rather than their overall toughness.

I agree that the Bills aren't mentally tough. Sunday, once the Patsies caught up, we melted. We looked like a bunch of sissies out there. Against the Clowns, after CJ got hurt we started to melt too. But against a lesser opponent they were able to overcome it. We need to get tougher mentally. Don't get too high, don't get too low. When things go against, we get too low.

I agree that the Bills aren't mentally tough. Sunday, once the Patsies caught up, we melted. We looked like a bunch of sissies out there. Against the Clowns, after CJ got hurt we started to melt too. But against a lesser opponent they were able to overcome it. We need to get tougher mentally. Don't get too high, don't get too low. When things go against, we get too low.

Your comments remind me of the Miami game at home last year. I was embarrased for our team they way Miami physically manhandled the Bills. They have the talent. They could be a shut down defense. They have to want to play physical and dominate opposing teams to do so...

We definitely have a mental toughness issue and we've had one here for years. Although I believe it's on the whole organization, no matter the players or the coaches it just seems to be the expected way to react. It's something that is truly upsetting to watch, as soon as the Pats got within 7 points, I as well as a lot of you knew deep down that the game was over. It felt like a loss even being ahead and that needs to change. Since 2009 the Bills have only won 4, get that? 4 divisional games!! that's horrible. Unfortunately that's the culture that we seem to subdue to. The Bills need an " Us against the world" mentality.

Exactly, no one seems to be bringing up the Browns game. When CJ got hurt we completely fell apart. Something needs to give to keep this from happening because right now this is by far our biggest weakness. A team just needs to open up the dams and then they can have their way with our team. Everyone loves to bash the coaching staff and say Wanny is the biggest problem but whatever is at the root of these collapses, be it the players, coaches, or both, needs to be fixed.

This team needs ONE leader among the rest of all of the leaders to step up and SHOUT their dissatisfied emotions. I constantly believe the ravens aren't just good because of talent and coaching. Its because one player can hold the rest accountable and fire them up. I don't want to hear everyones crap about Merriman, but he did that better than any current Bill on the team. And its what the team lacks.