Is this the game...?

Dr. Trooth

A while back a recall Wanny, or one of the Bills coaches, mentioning their plan was to line Mario up primarily @ LDE but they were going to move him all over along the front. I've watched three games, and I've not seen Mario move at all from LDE. Perhaps I blinked or missed a few plays making a sandwich or hitting the head... but ain't see anything but LDE for Mario. Is this the week they bring that 6'6" frame up the middle and make it difficult for Brady to step up in the pocket or see his targets clearly? Or, were the Bills coaches BS ing all along?

Well as I've theorized previously, I think the Bills have sandbagged a bit leading up to this game and will stunt and show some new things this week.

So I believe that you're absolutely correct.

Wade Phillips had great (albeit brief) success lining Mario up at linebacker, on the left and right side, and bringing him inside as well.

Hopefully Wanny can at least hold a candle to Phillips and show some effective creativity.

I think there was a lot of talk just after signing him, and I have seen more references this week that the pats games were specifically why they signed him. I think that thought is pretty much a given considering the dominance the cheat riots have had over the afc. It would be great if this was Williams coming out party. Maybe we will get renewed bradying memes after Sunday :)

Well as I've theorized previously, I think the Bills have sandbagged a bit leading up to this game and will stunt and show some new things this week.

Wade Phillips had great (albeit brief) success lining Mario up at linebacker, on the left and right side, and bringing him inside as well.

Hopefully Wanny can at least hold a candle to Phillips and show some effective creativity.

I can't wait for Sunday! what ever they have hidden, they need to rip it out. go Bills!!!

They sandbagged against the jets [and took a L] to fool the Pats? So they only play for real against NE?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I tend to think they will keep things much simpler......and just play beat the man in front of you.....

I still feel that this defense is made to beat the patriots......IF the secondary can start learning how to effectively play press coverage.....you get pressure with your down linemen......flood the passing lanes with secondary and linbackers.......and force Brady to make short throws then tackle immediately

From what I have seen so far....I am not sure if the secondary is ready to do this yet......

I think there was a lot of talk just after signing him, and I have seen more references this week that the pats games were specifically why they signed him. I think that thought is pretty much a given considering the dominance the cheat riots have had over the afc. It would be great if this was Williams coming out party. Maybe we will get renewed bradying memes after Sunday :)

YES

Here WeGo!

The whole defensive philosophy for the Jets game was wrong & it blew up in Wanny's face. We were so scare of the wildcat & the jets offense that we played a containment game that focused on read & then react instead of just pinning our ears back & taking it to them, which this defense is designed to do.

Brady is too smart to just go after him with a basic man2man system. We need to do some stunts and blitzing to throw him off his game. The more we mix it up the better. I would send Moats in early & often. (would love to see the Farve affect on Brady).

I kind of hope you are wrong, for several reasons.

Mostly that in the teams that have gone from the bottom to the top on D in one year, a key repetitive theme is "coach simplified the D, so we could just let it rip".

Defense is a game of reaction. If you have to think about what you're gonna do because it's different than what you've been doing, you lose that millisecond that makes the difference.

Second, because I would loathe and despise the concept that we failed to use something that could have helped keep us from being humiliated by the Jests. I prefer to think that we just took them a little lightly due to believing too much in the clown car media clippings, while the Jests came out desperate to prove they aren't clowns.

Uh… did you watch the Jets game?

I did, and I'd like to better understand the point you're trying to make here from it.

I think Chix has built a team to be physically dominant in a simple scheme on D, which historically seems to be Wannstache's defensive philosophy.

Do you disagree? Why?

A while back a recall Wanny, or one of the Bills coaches, mentioning their plan was to line Mario up primarily @ LDE but they were going to move him all over along the front. I've watched three games, and I've not seen Mario move at all from LDE. Perhaps I blinked or missed a few plays making a sandwich or hitting the head... but ain't see anything but LDE for Mario. Is this the week they bring that 6'6" frame up the middle and make it difficult for Brady to step up in the pocket or see his targets clearly? Or, were the Bills coaches BS ing all along?

Doesnt make sense to me to move Mario down to DT, since in doing this he would be replacing Kyle or Marcell who already create pressure and are much less effective at end. So basically you would take Kyle or Dareus out and line up Mario at DT and Kelsay at End? So basically you would be taking Kyle or Dareus out to line up Kelsay.

Doesnt make sense to me to move Mario down to DT, since in doing this he would be replacing Kyle or Marcell who already create pressure and are much less effective at end. So basically you would take Kyle or Dareus out and line up Mario at DT and Kelsay at End? So basically you would be taking Kyle or Dareus out to line up Kelsay.

What they talked about was having 4 DEs in game at time like Giants had occasionally. I have not seen that yet.

I kind of hope you are wrong, for several reasons.

Mostly that in the teams that have gone from the bottom to the top on D in one year, a key repetitive theme is "coach simplified the D, so we could just let it rip".

Defense is a game of reaction. If you have to think about what you're gonna do because it's different than what you've been doing, you lose that millisecond that makes the difference.

Second, because I would loathe and despise the concept that we failed to use something that could have helped keep us from being humiliated by the Jests. I prefer to think that we just took them a little lightly due to believing too much in the clown car media clippings, while the Jests came out desperate to prove they aren't clowns.

I did, and I'd like to better understand the point you're trying to make here from it.

I think Chix has built a team to be physically dominant in a simple scheme on D, which historically seems to be Wannstache's defensive philosophy.

Do you disagree? Why?

To my point about Wanny sandbagging heretofore and hopefully unveiling a few new twists this week, I truly believe that.

I think the Bills thought they could get the better of the Jets defense simply mano a mano and did very little tactically. I remember seeing very few blitzes and stunts. And it seems Wanny was obstinate and slow to adjust and I'm guessing that Gailey read him the riot act after the game… certainly he was much less than pleased in the postgame presser.

To my comment about the Jets game, I saw what I saw. In subsequent weeks I would bet the Bills got a bit more into playing games as well as being less passive and more aggressive.

As far as simplified defense goes and the whole concept of simpler = faster = better, I agree only to a point. This is still the NFL and tricking and fooling the opposing QB is still a very important ingredient in success.

Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau are not known to run simple schemes, IMO. Their pressure schemes in particular are highly unpredictable and well-disguised (can't speak to the coverage cause I can't really see what's going on back there). My belief is that any successful defensive coordinator like the ones I mentioned, like Wade Phillips, are successful because they present immense mental challenges to the offense.

I personally would like to see Wanny show that he's more than just a glorified college strategist. I'm rooting for that to happen and I'm attributing the simplicity so far to it being less than one month into his first regular season as DC.

I'm hoping and expecting some new wrinkles against the Cheating Bastards***.