It's a Quarterback driven league

Rodgers, Brees, P. Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger's teams are a combined 4-11 in the first three weeks.

It really doesn't mean much, but it is an unexpected win/loss ratio. The strongest teams at this point are arguably Houston, Atlanta, and San Fran. And two of those are mostly a run team with average QB (maybe slightly above average) with solid defenses.

By the end of the year I am expecting the tide to turn more. A lot has happened early on to screw with those results a bit (peyton manning ridding of some rust, brees losing his amazing coach and having a crazy off season, Rodgers losing a game to the refs), but still, it is ironic to see the teams with the best QBs struggling.

and if you throw tony romo and eli manning into the win/loss ratio, you still get 8-13.

Not really much to talk about, but I thought it was interesting to mention that wasn't about the ref lockout.

go bills!

PS: draft a good qb prospect please.

Yet the 3 teams you mentioned spent a #1 pick (smith) a #3 pick (Ryan) and 2 seconds and swapping firsts (schaub).

One is considered a young star with a probowl appearance, schaub led the league in passing and had a probowl

And I won't even get into the investment in pass catchers (Crabtree, Davis, Julio, roddy, Andre johnson - roddy white being the only non top ten pick and still a first rounder).

The passing game is not to be ignored.

It's a "good player" league. We have 2 great RBs.

PTR

I'll agree with that. Spacing rules gave a bump to passing, but truly you need talent everywhere. They are successful because they have that. We are building it.

Yet the 3 teams you mentioned spent a #1 pick (smith) a #3 pick (Ryan) and 2 seconds and swapping firsts (schaub).

One is considered a young star with a probowl appearance, schaub led the league in passing and had a probowl

And I won't even get into the investment in pass catchers (Crabtree, Davis, Julio, roddy, Andre johnson - roddy white being the only non top ten pick and still a first rounder).

The passing game is not to be ignored.

I thought about that for a bit, as far as where they were drafted (schaub and alex smith), but I was looking more as to their performance compared to the elite.

Most definently you cant ignore the passing part. We really could use a high pick at wr and a high pick at qb. It looks like Brady and rodgers would kill to have our oline about now

Nice, fair and honest opening post.

I don't personally believe that there is only one way to build a championship football team although that being said, there is certainly a conventional wisdom about how that is done and that conventional wisdom certainly centers around the passing game.

The takeaway for me watching the evolution of the league is that even the best passing teams need to be able to run the ball efficiently… to get timely and tangible benefits from the run game, in order to have their greatest success.

Using last night's game as an example, Green Bay had zero success offensively until they forced Seattle to honor Cedric Benson's physical running style.

There are many games where the run game doesn't do a lot of damage, but it does keep the offense balanced (and the defense off balance) enough for the offense to really be effective.

Again it's not an issue of how often a team runs or even how many yards per carry they get. It's an issue of keeping the defense honest, keeping the defense guessing, avoiding negative plays, and setting up manageable down and distance situations.

Rodgers, Brees, P. Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger's teams are a combined 4-11 in the first three weeks.

It really doesn't mean much, but it is an unexpected win/loss ratio. The strongest teams at this point are arguably Houston, Atlanta, and San Fran. And two of those are mostly a run team with average QB (maybe slightly above average) with solid defenses.

It seems to me that we're returning to the '90s where the passing game was restricted by allowing DB a lot more leeway in contact past 5 yds and PI calls.

It seems to me that we're returning to the '90s where the passing game was restricted by allowing DB a lot more leeway in contact past 5 yds and PI calls.

It sounds like you're saying that you think that defensive back on receiver contact has been increased.

Is that your view and do you think that this started happening before this season or just this season?

it's 3 games.... anyone want to bet that all those QBs will be out of the playoffs?

Rogers' team got screwed, and they will recover and win their division. The Steelers will be fine. Brady is THE reason to fear New England. Brees lost his head coach and his team was decimated by the bounty scandal.

Still, it has been 3 games. 13 to go. After 7 weeks last season the Bills were looking at a division title. All the "haterZ" were wrong and dumb. "Gailey> Levy?" and " Fitz> Kelly? the Stats..." threads were popping up on message boards.

Let's see a full season before we decide that suddenly elite QBs don't really matter anymore

Edited by TheFunPolice

it's 3 games.... anyone want to bet that all those QBs will be out of the playoffs?

The Bills were 5-2 last year. All the "haterZ" were wrong and dumb. "Gailey> Levy?" and " Fitz> Kelly? the Stats..." threads were popping up on message boards.

Let's see a full season before we decide that suddenly elite QBs don't really matter anymore

I don't think anyone is saying that.

I don't see where Dan was saying that, actually. Maybe it's just me, but the most annoying posts on here lately are the ones where people pop in and say, "there's no point in discussing this" :rolleyes:

Perhaps I misread the intention behind the discussion

Or maybe you were sensing that someone will discount the importance of "franchise QBs" later on in this thread.

I've seen in other threads where some are predicting the re-emergence of the run game so that belief is out there for sure.

I thought about that for a bit, as far as where they were drafted (schaub and alex smith), but I was looking more as to their performance compared to the elite.

Schaub was #9 by QB rating in 2010 (trailed by 3 dudes named Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, and Drew Brees ). He was 4th in passing yards and 8th in completion percentage

Matt Schaub was the #7 QB by rating in 2009 (trailed by two dudes named Romo and Brady). He led the league in passing yards and was #4 in completion percentage.

He was #7 by QB rating in 2008.

Basically, since coming to the Texans and getting his chance, Schaub has quietly proven himself to be a very very good QB. He doesn't get a lot of press 'cuz he doesn't live in a media fishbowl or play on a flashy "America's Dolls" team. What's your definition of elite, and what does a guy need to do (besides win a SB) to be considered as such by it?

Smith, on the other hand, is a 1st round draft choice who suffered from coaching and scheme changes his first years, and may possibly someday develop into a good QB.

Edited by Hopeful

It sounds like you're saying that you think that defensive back on receiver contact has been increased.

Is that your view and do you think that this started happening before this season or just this season?

Yes, thanks, why don't you write for me? What you said was much clearer.

I think it's this year, due to the replacement officials. I think last year was the year of the QB and the receiver, with defenses very restricted to favor the passing game.

Or maybe you were sensing that someone will discount the importance of "franchise QBs" later on in this thread.

I've seen in other threads where some are predicting the re-emergence of the run game so that belief is out there for sure.

Maybe... That argument just drives me nuts, because in order to believe it you have to ignore the last decade of Super Bowls, the eye test, and pretty much everything else other than warm fuzzies for a guy with a beard who doesn't win very often

I guess I'm a bit jumpy on the subject. LOL

This may be the year that defenses actually catch up with all the offense that we've been having these past few years. I, for one, welcome it. Much rather see a hard-nosed 7-3 game than a 45-51 game.

I agree. I love a great defensive struggle.

Here's my problem: the 49ers were a badass team last year, who really beat up on the Giants and should have gone to the Super Bowl.

HOWEVER, their QB couldn't do anything when it mattered because he really isn't very good.

You get up 10 on the 49ers and it is OVER. They have to play flawlessly and ultra physical and get a turnover or two to win 20-14.

The Giants have an elite QB, so when the chips were down he got the team down the field, whereas Alex Smith could not.

An elite defense can hold an elite QB 8/10 times. But those 2/10 are going to be the killers if your guy can't move the ball.

Edited by TheFunPolice

This may be the year that defenses actually catch up with all the offense that we've been having these past few years. I, for one, welcome it. Much rather see a hard-nosed 7-3 game than a 45-51 game.

I think you and I are in the minority in that sentiment....I prefer that sort of game, too....I love watching a dominant defense where they make the offense just struggle for every yard, let alone every score. That's why I dont often criticize RJ....in that Titans playoff game, the guy left his balls on the field. Kearse and that Titans D were tough as nails, and we had to scratch and claw our way to points. The intensity was through the roof from my perspective.

Yes, thanks, why don't you write for me? What you said was much clearer.

I think it's this year, due to the replacement officials. I think last year was the year of the QB and the receiver, with defenses very restricted to favor the passing game.

I didn't want to start slamming the replacement officials but I agree with you that the increased contact is a function of the replacement officials. So in that view, it might be a one season aberration.

I think usually that changes in the game are forced by changes in the rules. The significant and recent rule changes are ones which protect defenseless receivers so I'm skeptical that defenses will catch up to offenses. For the last several decades the league has continued to institute rule changes which favor the offense.

Maybe... That argument just drives me nuts, because in order to believe it you have to ignore the last decade of Super Bowls, the eye test, and pretty much everything else other than warm fuzzies for a guy with a beard who doesn't win very often

I guess I'm a bit jumpy on the subject. LOL

I agree. I love a great defensive struggle.

Here's my problem: the 49ers were a badass team last year, who really beat up on the Giants and should have gone to the Super Bowl.

HOWEVER, their QB couldn't do anything when it mattered because he really isn't very good.

You get up 10 on the 49ers and it is OVER. They have to play flawlessly and ultra physical and get a turnover or two to win 20-14.

The Giants have an elite QB, so when the chips were down he got the team down the field, whereas Alex Smith could not.

Yeah I picked Seattle to win last night (in my mind, they lost) and after making my prediction I realized that I had picked Russell Wilson to defeat Aaron Rodgers… which even given that it's a team game, is still kind of absurd.

here's the thing about that Seattle/GB game.... they battered Rogers, they beat up Rogers, they held Rogers in check....

Then he won the game for Green Bay.... before the refs stole it away

Seattle, as much as they dominated, could not score.

Yeah, except he didn't. Seattle stopped him on the TD drive & the refs bailed him out with a bogus PI call.

It makes sense. The defenses have had a few years to adjust to the new pass heavy offenses. Now that everyone's D is built to stop the pass it creates opportunities for those that excel in the run game.