Levitre and Urbik

JTO

I'm all for giving Levitre a contract extension, but what about Eric Wood?

Many people on this board, yours truly included, believed we should hold off on giving Wood a new contract until we saw how he played this season. The concern being how he would hold up after sustaining another serious injury.

Should we still feel that way?

I'm all for giving Levitre a contract extension, but what about Eric Wood?

Many people on this board, yours truly included, believed we should hold off on giving Wood a new contract until we saw how he played this season. The concern being how he would hold up after sustaining another serious injury.

Should we still feel that way?

Is there a possibility that The Bills can get a better deal due to Woody's injury past? I don't know...But I would be working overtime to lock that Kid up long-term...He's outstanding when he's in there...He may be the best in the NFL at his position...When healthy of course... B-)

Is there a possibility that The Bills can get a better deal due to Woody's injury past? I don't know...But I would be working overtime to lock that Kid up long-term...He's outstanding when he's in there...He may be the best in the NFL at his position...When healthy of course... B-)

If the Bills don't want to take that risk, you know someone else will, he's too good to let him walk

The Bills have to sign Levitre and Byrd, although Levitre will probably be first as we can always franchise Byrd for next season as the franchise number for safeties is relatively low. It may be difficult to re-sign Urbik if he has a good year as Rinehart I think is up, too. But I believe Urbik is a restricted free agent so we may have an extra year to lock him up. And Wood has one extra year to go because of his 5 year rookie contract. So we can concentrate on Levitre and Byrd this year, and Urbik and Wood the next.

We have some money but these linemen are all playing well. We have Cordy cheap for four years and Pears fairly cheap for 2-3 more, as well as Hairston for peanuts for a couple more. The guards may be tough to keep them all.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Is there a possibility that The Bills can get a better deal due to Woody's injury past?

What? Are you trying to get an internship with Jeff Littman? :)

OL Signing Prriorities

1. Levitre (Will cost a lot)

2. Wood (Will cost a lot but not quite as much due to injuries)

3. Urbik (Shouldn't cost too much, he can wait)

I think this is a hopeful view.

He would get what the market will bear which would be a lot, IMO.

If Wood puts in an outstanding 2012 I doubt his injury history will lower his market value.

I think this is a hopeful view.

He would get what the market will bear which would be a lot, IMO.

If Wood puts in an outstanding 2012 I doubt his injury history will lower his market value.

He's under contract through next season, and not a FA until 2014. A lot can happen until then. If he plays two full years, sure. IMO, we will try to re-sign him, if healthy, sometime approximately a year from now and before he hits free agency after next season. We have him for two years though counting this one.

He's under contract through next season, and not a FA until 2014. A lot can happen until then. If he plays two full years, sure. IMO, we will try to re-sign him, if healthy, sometime approximately a year from now and before he hits free agency after next season. We have him for two years though counting this one.

My point remains the same… if he doesn't get injured again his past injuries won't hurt his market value.

My point remains the same… if he doesn't get injured again his past injuries won't hurt his market value.

Oh sure. I'm just saying that since he has two years instead of one before his contract is up, unless he signs early with the Bills and it's somewhat unlikely, he will have to have two years of non-injury, and then hardly anyone would bring it up. Whereas if he was a FA this coming season, and only had one injury free year, they very well might.

Look at Thurman Thomas. He had a bad knee injury as a junior, but played one full year after the injury and was a workhorse and a billion carries and showed zero signs of trouble and yet still he didn't go in the first round because teams were worried about his knee.

Oh sure. I'm just saying that since he has two years instead of one before his contract is up, unless he signs early with the Bills and it's somewhat unlikely, he will have to have two years of non-injury, and then hardly anyone would bring it up. Whereas if he was a FA this coming season, and only had one injury free year, they very well might.

Look at Thurman Thomas. He had a bad knee injury as a junior, but played one full year after the injury and was a workhorse and a billion carries and showed zero signs of trouble and yet still he didn't go in the first round because teams were worried about his knee.

Good point.

Thurman was an interesting and fairly unique case in that he had his ACL removed.

I remember before the 1988 draft that NFL scouts were concerned about Thurman not having an ACL so that probably had an affect on his draft position too.