Chan's Offense

White Linen

Do you think Gailey's offense is intricate? I've never been a coach so I'm not privy to watching the game from that point of view, but compared to other offenses I watch from a fans point of view it seems simplistic. I'm fully aware that all NFL offenses are difficult so I'm not being smart.

I see a lot of the same plays and routes, and it doesn't appear to be terribly inventive. There's not a lot of different offensive line movement, creative calls, or even trick plays (unless you count wildcat). Some very respectable people have said that Gailey is an offensive guru/genious but I just don't get that feeling about our offense. I'm curious for comments from what you guys know/see.

Do you think Gailey's offense is intricate? I've never been a coach so I'm not privy to watching the game from that point of view, but compared to other offenses I watch from a fans point of view it seems simplistic. I'm fully aware that all NFL offenses are difficult so I'm not being smart.

I see a lot of the same plays and routes, and it doesn't appear to be terribly inventive. There's not a lot of different offensive line movement, creative calls, or even trick plays (unless you count wildcat). Some very respectable people have said that Gailey is an offensive guru/genious but I just don't get that feeling about our offense. I'm curious for comments from what you guys know/see.

The intricacy comes from making changes based on reads. A play may have 10 different outcomes based on what the D is showing. So not only does Fitz have to know what to do, he has to call the adjustment and everyone adjusts their route accordingly. I'd call that intricate.

PTR

The intricacy comes from making changes based on reads. A play may have 10 different outcomes based on what the D is showing. So not only does Fitz have to know what to do, he has to call the adjustment and everyone adjusts their route accordingly. I'd call that intricate.

PTR

And other teams DON'T have these intricate nuances?

I agree with Promo. The scheme itself is very simplistic in terms of formations, routes, protections, and run blocking. The complexity is all in the pre and post snap reads that Fitz and his receivers have to make on the fly.

GO BILLS!!!

It is a "run and shoot" with spread formations. been around forever. Houston ran it during the season of the NFL greatest comeback.

Whatever Gailey wants to call it, Fitz isn't the QB to run it, maybe he is? He's looking a lot better last two games.

The passing game is currently ranked 26 th in the league, so it's not working very well and not fooling anybody.

If they can keep running the ball, who cares?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

I hope the Bills try going deep early in the game against the Pats. The Pats CBs wont be afraid of Fitz going deep so they can focus more on short passing game. They know we dont do that, so lets do it early, to let them know that its real. Its going to be interesting to see what the offense looks like if we dont have Jackson or Spiller. Im guessing ground and pound this week, more Dickerson and Lee, with maybe a throw from the wildcat, Smith to Jones. Throw it up, Jones will do his best to make sure the defender doesnt get it. Whatever they do, it better be time consuming by substaining drives, keep Brady off field.

PTR

I agree with Promo. The scheme itself is very simplistic in terms of formations, routes, protections, and run blocking. The complexity is all in the pre and post snap reads that Fitz and his receivers have to make on the fly.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. I see a relatively small number of formations and player substitutions, but the complexity comes from what they do just prior to and after the snap. And that's as it should be.

Several years back, you could just see what players came on the field and know it was run or pass. Or you see Josh Reed go in motion to the left and you knew it was a run off the the left tackle. The offense was a predictable as anything I've ever seen. Contrast that with the current offense and for the majority of snaps its hard to tell if its run or pass based on the formation and personnel. Add in different WRs are the primary target based on the coverage, then there's screens and draw plays added in, and it all really keeps defenses on their toes.

The one thing they really don't do enough of is go deep. The biggest problem I see is that most defenses play within 20yds of the LOS because we rarely throw the long ball. If Fitz Could go long 3 or 4 times per game with some success, I think it would open the offense up even more. Also, they have a tendancy to be a little predictable with down and distance situations.

Its simple by NFL standards, but simple works. The Pats threw screen passes and drag routes on their way to three superbowls. Promo is right to say Fitz does a lot of checking at the LOS but every team does that in the NFL and college. My HS team did it too. (We called a run play and the QB had to deterime if we were running right or left depending on how the D aligned. Simple, but same idea)

The 49ers/Packers/Saints offenses are much more complex with their route combinations and it shows when you watch their games.

I also really like our blocking schemes Chan runs. Those seem to work great with our personel.

Edited by peterpan