C.J. Updates ?

CJPearl2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Gailey kinda pull a fast 1 in saying he thought C Glenn was a guard or something to that degree b4 the draft!

that was nix/scouting folks, and they proudly admitted it later on. I don't think gailey is the type to use injuries to trick people. I think if he says Fred has a good shot to play this week, and CJ the next week, it sounds genuine to me.

that was nix/scouting folks, and they proudly admitted it later on. I don't think gailey is the type to use injuries to trick people. I think if he says Fred has a good shot to play this week, and CJ the next week, it sounds genuine to me.

It's really hard for me to imagine under any circumstances that an NFL team would fall for Buddy Nix quietly putting rumors out that he was a guard. I think Buddy may have done it or was just pulling people's legs. But every team has scouts watching potential NFL players, especially at Georgia and the SEC, and at the Senior Bowl, and watched hours and hours of tape on him if they needed a LT, and came to their own conclusions.

The fact is, he looked very average over the first half of the year, and very strong over the second half of the year and the Senior Bowl week. It's just as easy to imagine a team would be wary of him being a star as it is a team thinking he has all it takes to be a star. I always thought he could play tackle because Nix always said in public he could play tackle and he looked to me like he could play tackle when I watched him against LSU. But I sincerely doubt Nix spreading rumoring had anything to do with any other team's evaluations, even if it were true.

It's really hard for me to imagine under any circumstances that an NFL team would fall for Buddy Nix quietly putting rumors out that he was a guard. I think Buddy may have done it or was just pulling people's legs. But every team has scouts watching potential NFL players, especially at Georgia and the SEC, and at the Senior Bowl, and watched hours and hours of tape on him if they needed a LT, and came to their own conclusions.

The fact is, he looked very average over the first half of the year, and very strong over the second half of the year and the Senior Bowl week. It's just as easy to imagine a team would be wary of him being a star as it is a team thinking he has all it takes to be a star. I always thought he could play tackle because Nix always said in public he could play tackle and he looked to me like he could play tackle when I watched him against LSU. But I sincerely doubt Nix spreading rumoring had anything to do with any other team's evaluations, even if it were true.

Not so much that - but I could see a young or thin-skinned GM like Ireland thinking twice about pulling the trigger if he's worried that he could later be embarrassed and second-guessed. If he has any doubts about whether Glenn can hold up at LT, he may not want to risk tge pick not working out and his owner boss later being able to say to him (perhaps based on some hack's column like Sullivan), See, other people were saying he was a guard, and you drafted him to play tackle, WTF?

Not so much that - but I could see a young or thin-skinned GM like Ireland thinking twice about pulling the trigger if he's worried that he could later be embarrassed and second-guessed. If he has any doubts about whether Glenn can hold up at LT, he may not want to risk tge pick not working out and his owner boss later being able to say to him (perhaps based on some hack's column like Sullivan), See, other people were saying he was a guard, and you drafted him to play tackle, WTF?

Seriously? Based in a hack columnist as you say? Not a chance. Besides, he could always say look at what Buddy Nix said about him repeatedly, that he was a tackle.

The fact is that everyone knows people say all kinds of stuff good and bad about players. And the fact is on players at positions of need, all teams spend a lot of time watching tape and evaluating SEC games. If there were scouts for teams who happened to watch two Georgia games early and said he doesn't look like a tackle, that is understandable. Going on rumors and hearsay and sports columnists, I'm not falling for that at all.

Seriously? Based in a hack columnist as you say? Not a chance. Besides, he could always say look at what Buddy Nix said about him repeatedly, that he was a tackle.

The fact is that everyone knows people say all kinds of stuff good and bad about players. And the fact is on players at positions of need, all teams spend a lot of time watching tape and evaluating SEC games. If there were scouts for teams who happened to watch two Georgia games early and said he doesn't look like a tackle, that is understandable. Going on rumors and hearsay and sports columnists, I'm not falling for that at all.

Disagree. I think the mind games happen all over the place leading up to the draft. The media gets used throughout the process. Read that article about Pioli after the Chiefs game - there are GMs out there who are obsessed with public and media perception.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Disagree. I think the mind games happen all over the place leading up to the draft. The media gets used throughout the process.

So a thin-skinned Jerry Ireland is going to be told by his scouts that Cordy Glenn is a tackle and well worth drafting in the first or second round, but Ireland is worried about being second guessed when the owner might point out Jerry Sullivan or unreasonable facsimile didn't think he was going to be a tackle and you and your scouts did --- so Ireland would ignore his scouts and not draft Glenn? That's laughable.

So a thin-skinned Jerry Ireland is going to be told by his scouts that Cordy Glenn is a tackle and well worth drafting in the first or second round, but Ireland is worried about being second guessed when the owner might point out Jerry Sullivan or unreasonable facsimile didn't think he was going to be a tackle and you and your scouts did --- so Ireland would ignore his scouts and not draft Glenn? That's laughable.

You know, it isn't laughable, and actually, it's highly plausible. But you go ahead and stick to your opinion - most people do.

We cant lose focus of the fact that it really doesn't matter who runs behind this line, as long as Gailey commits to the run, we will get it done. Its interesting how nuanced the run game is: there are clearly great running backs and crappy ones, but I think 90+ % fall in the middle and are more of a reflection of the run scheme and oline. Best example i can think of Denver in the 90s with shanahan. No matter who they put behind that line/blocking scheme put up pro bowl type numbers. So my point is, be patient, dont rush either player back, and well be better off over the course of the season.

Fair enough. I fully expect Ireland to fire his scouts and replace them with hack columnists, then he wouldn't have to worry about ignoring his scouts. :lol:

Sticking with that condescending tone.

You act as though scouting departments are highly efficient and functional machines. Many of them aren't. There are GMs out there who find themselves in highly precarious and difficult positions. They may report to an aloof and unpredictable owner like Irsay, and/or a bean counter COO type who will scrutinize and second-guess every move they make. Such a GM may not want to take on a risky selection, especially if it can be shoved up their a$$ by said owner or COO a year or two later if the pick flops.

I know its shocking that someone out there disagrees with you Kelly. Again, you can keep laughing and patting yourself on the back for knowing everything.

Sticking with that condescending tone.

You act as though scouting departments are highly efficient and functional machines. Many of them aren't. There are GMs out there who find themselves in highly precarious and difficult positions. They may report to an aloof and unpredictable owner like Irsay, and/or a bean counter COO type who will scrutinize and second-guess every move they make. Such a GM may not want to take on a risky selection, especially if it can be shoved up their a$$ by said owner or COO a year or two later if the pick flops.

I know its shocking that someone out there disagrees with you Kelly. Again, you can keep laughing and patting yourself on the back for knowing everything.

No, the problem perhaps was the examples you used. Ireland may be stupid but he has been known for taking risks with draft picks that were open to huge criticism already if they didnt pan out, like Ryan Tannehill and Chad Henne and Pat White and Phillip Merling. No one anywhere would worry about being second guessed by Jerry Sullivan from the Buffalo News or his ilk. Now, if you said Rich Gosselin, or somewhat like that, sure, I could easily imagine a GM putting stock in what that columnist says, and maybe worrying he was making a mistake, because they have a good track record for recognizing talent.

The idea that the scouts really thought Cordy Glenn could play tackle, and he himself scouted Glenn and thought he could play tackle, and the team needed a tackle, but he was not going to choose him because Jerry Sullivan said he was a guard remains laughable.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

No, the problem perhaps was the examples you used. Ireland may be stupid but he has been known for taking risks with draft picks that were open to huge criticism already if they didnt pan out, like Ryan Tannehill and Chad Henne and Pat White and Phillip Merling. No one anywhere would worry about being second guessed by Jerry Sullivan from the Buffalo News or his ilk. Now, if you said Rich Gosselin, or somewhat like that, sure, I could easily imagine a GM putting stock in what that columnist says, and maybe worrying he was making a mistake, because they have a good track record for recognizing talent.

The idea that the scouts really thought Cordy Glenn could play tackle, and he himself scouted Glenn and thought he could play tackle, and the team needed a tackle, but he was not going to choose him because Jerry Sullivan said he was a guard remains laughable.

You are purposely distorting my point. Sullivan was just a hypothetical, as was Ireland. My point is that it is more than plausible for Nix to think he could manipulate at least one or two GMs - and that might be all he needed - by throwing out some disinformation. It's not outrageous.

I'm betting Spiller plays. It's a big game, he said he has FROM in his shoulder, and just has some pain and swelling, which can be managed with meds. I just watched a highlight of a run by him to confirm that he carries the ball in his right (non-injured side) arm, so that's good since he won't have to make a switch there. He might be limited to just running since, but that's good enough. Actually I have more faith in him playing than Freddy, who has a knee issue.

Do you really want CJ to run with a bum shoulder??? We don't need him fumbling the ball if the Putrids target his injury.

Just be happy it's not another Brad Smith/Wildcat thread. Oh crap, did I just make it one again?

Okay, good. I'm glad someone brought up the Wildcat. Sure, it's worked, but is it entirely necessary to have a complete offensive formation/package AND a roster spot devoted to a scheme that never nets us more than seven yards!?

:devil:

Okay, good. I'm glad someone brought up the Wildcat. Sure, it's worked, but is it entirely necessary to have a complete offensive formation/package AND a roster spot devoted to a scheme that never nets us more than seven yards!?

:devil:

I have the mobile version so I don't have the emotes but I think there's one with a knife going through his head. I want that one. Your such a jerk Cat. Lol.

Edited by mrags

So a thin-skinned Jerry Ireland ,,,

Wait a minute. Ireland is thin-skinned?!? :lol:

You are purposely distorting my point. Sullivan was just a hypothetical, as was Ireland. My point is that it is more than plausible for Nix to think he could manipulate at least one or two GMs - and that might be all he needed - by throwing out some disinformation. It's not outrageous.

What is more interesting? That our GM spread disinformation, that someone may have believed his disinformation, or that he is slapped on the back for doing what all NFL GMs do?