Toronto - more regular season and no preseason games?!?

bbb

I saw this article alluded to one thread, but there doesn't seem to be any discussion or a thread of it's own. This seems like huge and, pretty much, not good news. Mark Gaughan thinks that there will be 8 regular season games over 5 years and Toronto wants zero preseason games (Must have scheduling conflicts coming up).............So, Buffalo season ticket holders will have 3 out of 5 seasons where we pay for 2 preseason games and get only 6 regular season. Are you kidding me? They would have to do some kind of discount or something for preseasons, I would hope:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120916/SPORTS/120919253/1004

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be no discount. I haven't read the article but I'm guessing, just take it for who is writing it. Doesn't worry me until the Bills make mention of it.aybe I should read the article and not look dumb though.

Gaughan predicts a 2 1 2 1 2 type of agreement over five years. Yeah it sucks, but if it helps to keep the Bills here as a increased revenue source for a potential new owners....

with Toronto we are the 4th largest NFL market.....

without Toronto will be the 2nd largest market when they relocate to L.A.

embrace our friends from the north.....it is the key to keeping the name BUFFALO if front of BILLS.

eventually the league will move to 18 regular season games with 9 home games ( 7 in buffalo & 2 in Toronto). the 2 in toronto will be late season games that dont sellout here anyways.

If those games in December matter the tickets will be sold. After 12 years a wait and see attitude has to be expected. October is as late in the year as I'm willing to buy in July. Give me a reason to come in December for a change.

The lamest excuse ever, especially when keeping the Bills in Buffalo is a big question.

PTR

Gaughan predicts a 2 1 2 1 2 type of agreement over five years. Yeah it sucks, but if it helps to keep the Bills here as a increased revenue source for a potential new owners....

If I lived in WNY and was an annual season ticket holder and they were talking about only getting 6 games a year I'd tell them to go pound sand. Funny how what you folks will put up with "to keep them there" They're playing you people like a $2 violin.

The lamest excuse ever, especially when keeping the Bills in Buffalo is a big question.

PTR

It's not an excuse, it is pretty much a fact. If the games are meaningful, they will sell out.

There are a ton of reasons why the December game are not sold out right now. And even if they were selling out right now, I don't think that would impact our Toronto situation at this point anyway.

Any sort of team sharing plan beyond 1 game perseason is totally unacceptable and unsustainable.

The problem with any sort of sharing agreement is that at some point you end up having TWO stadiums for your team, neither of which is NFL caliber. The Rogers Center is horrible and RWS is outdated. I've heard rumors of 4-4 (1/2 the season each place) down the road. Totally untenable long-term.

Whoever is asked to pony up hundreds of millions of dollars in public cash is not going to take well to only hosting 4-6 games per year.

As soon as it goes to 2 games per season you can be sure that this team sees its future in a bigger market. Buffalo really has no leverage and offers very little in that scenario.

Here's a question for the lawyers: Since the Bills already play games in Toronto, is it really "relocating" to play 8 games a year there?

It's not an excuse, it is pretty much a fact. If the games are meaningful, they will sell out.

There are a ton of reasons why the December game are not sold out right now. And even if they were selling out right now, I don't think that would impact our Toronto situation at this point anyway.

It may be a fact in New York or Boston. or Chicago Those cities won't lose their NFL teams if fans stay away. Buffalo has no such luxury.

PTR

It may be a fact in New York or Boston. or Chicago Those cities won't lose their NFL teams if fans stay away. Buffalo has no such luxury.

PTR

The man speaks the truth. The narrative is already written though. I could type up and post the "Bills moving" article tonight. We all know how it would sound.

The NFL is doing a LOT behind the scenes with the LA stadium situation. The NFL is determined to have a team or two there sooner rather than later.

IF the Bills move, the NFL is not going to "waste" the negative PR and backlash of a relocation on Toronto; they will go to LA. That you can bank on.

If I lived in WNY and was an annual season ticket holder and they were talking about only getting 6 games a year I'd tell them to go pound sand. Funny how what you folks will put up with "to keep them there" They're playing you people like a $2 violin.

Only one of two teams in town Chef, would you still be a fan if they were a few hours south of you in L.A.? I was a llttle kid when the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and I have not watched the NBA since.

I will be honest with you I have two season tickets in the Club Level and would be willing to pay the same amount for six games as I do seven. It is that foolish? Probably, but that is the price fans have to pay for having a NFL Team in a small market.

Unfortunately WNY does not have one tenth of the wealth that is concentrated in the Bay Area.

Are we hostage to the Bills and any rules or demands that set? If we want to keep the team in WNY, yes.

Why do I put up with it? I guess I have Stockholm Syndrome.

Any arrangement to have 2 games per season in Toronto will be the end of the Bills in Buffalo.

It only makes it more clear that this team cannot survive in this market. As long as they are the "Buffalo Bills" Toronto will not fully embrace them (and why would they?)

More importantly, why would the state pony up hundreds of million in taxpayer money if the team is only going to use the stadium for 3/4 of its home schedule?

Agreed Chef

Any arrangement to have 2 games per season in Toronto will be the end of the Bills in Buffalo.

It only makes it more clear that this team cannot survive in this market. As long as they are the "Buffalo Bills" Toronto will not fully embrace them (and why would they?)

More importantly, why would the state pony up hundreds of million in taxpayer money if the team is only going to use the stadium for 3/4 of its home schedule?

Again there is 10 million people in this market. The Bills aren't going anywhere.

Again there is 10 million people in this market. The Bills aren't going anywhere.

IF they up the number of Toronto games, they're gone. Gone as in "not the Buffalo Bills." They might end up being the "Toronto Bills" but I really doubt it for reasons I stated above.

NY State is NOT going to pay $200 million for 6 games that might become 5 or 4 by the end of the lease that the team can just get out of anyway and leave the taxpayers holding the bag.

It's time to bring this thing to a head: what are the team's plans, and if they are not committed long-term to WNY then they should not get a PENNY.

My guess would be no discount. I haven't read the article but I'm guessing, just take it for who is writing it. Doesn't worry me until the Bills make mention of it.aybe I should read the article and not look dumb though.

You've got to be kidding me. I know every media person gets pounded on this board, but you are putting down Mark Gaughan? He's excellent. I read that hack Bucky Gleason's column right before I read this one. It's like night and day.