Not making excuses for Mario but....

When you'd draw THREE blockers you ARE elite. You don't have to get a sack to make a huge impact. That said, I want to see him dominate the 1 v. 1 matchups!

I don't need to hear the same BS I heard with Schobel...when your paid to get sacks do it.

He didn't get too many one on ones he was often double teamed or even triple teamed. He also got a good amount of pressure on Cassel bull rushing and collapsing the edge. Overall if he keeps drawing double and triple teams you and still holding the edge you are doing your job.

All in all he does need to get sacks but if he plays like he did today the sacks will come.

I don't need to hear the same BS I heard with Schobel...when your paid to get sacks do it.

Schobel towards the end of his career when he was less effective wasn't holding the edge in the run game or collapsing the line down on a QB. What Mario did today was much better than simply drawing a double team because you are the best of the rest.

He's not paid to get sacks. He's an every down end, not an "x and long" situational pass rusher of a selfish stat whore like JasonAllen who is a liability in the run game because he takes himself out of plays, ignores gap assignments, and loses contain. Mario is the rare athletic specimin who makes everyone around him better increasing overall defensive team production. That's what he's paid for.

Team had 5 sacks. That's partly due to MW being there. MW had a fumble recovery. The defense looked incredible from about the fifth minute in (they were shaky at the start) until the game was out of hand. What do you want? Do you think KW and MD have the game that they had if MW wasn't there? No way. It's a team, it's a front four, and they operate as a unit. And MW was fine.

When you'd draw THREE blockers you ARE elite. You don't have to get a sack to make a huge impact. That said, I want to see him dominate the 1 v. 1 matchups!

Bruce Smith was often double and triple teamed AND still got sacks....Mario is no where near the caliber of Bruce Smith - an ELITE DE.

Edited by Azucho98

Mario played soft and he was NOT drawing double and triple coverage as frequent as some would suggest on this board. He was a half step behind off the snap on several plays and was outmatched today physically. He spent way to much time waiving his arms around going after balls that were out of reach, time better served with him following through on the play. He is playing like a serviceable DE not a 100 million dollar elite. I agree with Azucho98 "Bruce Smith was often double and triple teamed AND still got sacks....Mario is no where near the caliber of Bruce Smith - an ELITE DE" It is still early so I will give him more time but 100 million dollars? at this point he hasn't earned his money. I desperately want him to prove me wrong, GO BILLS!!!

Azucho98

Mario played soft and he was NOT drawing double and triple coverage as frequent as some would suggest on this board. He was a half step behind off the snap on several plays and was outmatched today physically. He spent way to much time waiving his arms around going after balls that were out of reach, time better served with him following through on the play. He is playing like a serviceable DE not a 100 million dollar elite. I agree with Azucho98 "Bruce Smith was often double and triple teamed AND still got sacks....Mario is no where near the caliber of Bruce Smith - an ELITE DE" It is still early so I will give him more time but 100 million dollars? at this point he hasn't earned his money. I desperately want him to prove me wrong, GO BILLS!!!

Azucho98

So Mario has to be as good as, perhaps, the best DE to ever play the game to be an ELITE DE? Newsflash, he's not Bruce Smith.

That being said I'm guessing there's never been a 2 game stretch where Smith went sackless....

And finally, however is judging DE play strictly by sacks is missing much of what's going on.