The ones that got away

peterpan

Haven't gone through this whole thread, but if I may jump to the conclusion - That for whatever mystical reasons for the water in Orchard Park, Buffalo Bills continue to be horrendous talent evaluators and groomers, no matter who has lead the team operations for the last 12 years.

Should that cover it?

Pretty much... B-)

All I know is this.....

This is the year....I will not support this QB one more year if he falls on his face. Im done after this year if Fitz doesnt show he can at least be a game manager for this team.

He's got to be awfully good to change my opinion of him...It's an opinion I've had since he came here day #1...He's a heck of a good Back-Up QB who can come in and win you a few games...Especially vs poor to average Defenses...He'll get hot and thrill ya, then he'll get cold and kill ya...That's it...That's Fitz...It's who he is...He's now played in 59 Games and started 53 of them...That's about 4 seasons worth of evidence...I think it is what it is...I hope not...But I have zero faith in the guy overall... B-)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these negative Nancy annoying posters should be banned for a week so they don't have to waste their own time being sad. Maybe they'd find joy in their life.

Are you expecting the passionate fan base to shrug off this loss and not feel emotional about it ? The rest of my life is perfectly happy but the Bills OTOH make me want to shout (with despair).

Are you expecting the passionate fan base to shrug off this loss and not feel emotional about it ? The rest of my life is perfectly happy but the Bills OTOH make me want to shout (with despair).

Find a new team? Its a game? I font know what to tell ya buddy. Im just as passionate as the next guy. My Sunday is ruined with a loss and the week starts off bad. But come Monday I eventually realize it's just a game and I have ny own priorities. The Bills don't care about me any more then I care about them at the end of the business day. I can only be a fan.

Find a new team? Its a game? I font know what to tell ya buddy. Im just as passionate as the next guy. My Sunday is ruined with a loss and the week starts off bad. But come Monday I eventually realize it's just a game and I have ny own priorities. The Bills don't care about me any more then I care about them at the end of the business day. I can only be a fan.

Should I suggest banning you for a week because you are not too emotionally invested in the team ? My point is that everybody takes it differently and railing on those who take it worse than others is kinda silly. I am frustrated as I feel apathy coming on earlier and earlier as the seasons go by - with Jauron, it would be typically be by game 6-8, last year it took longer but this year has the makings of an early disaster.

In other news - you are a reasonable poster so don't take this as a call to arms.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Posts like these are so stupid it pisses me off. I could build a completely All-Pro roster with the "ones that got away" bull crap

Again this isn't a hindsight thread, saying 'we shoulda drafted that guy!!!'

We are discussing why the Bills havent made a number of moves that would have solidified the most important position in football.

We are discussing why the Bills havent made a number of moves that would have solidified the most important position in football.

There's no answer to that question of "why." I think that's what you're failing to understand here.

If there was a "why" then there'd be a "why" for the equal--NAY--greater number of players who didn't pan out that they ALSO passed on...

Why didn't I become an Olympic marathon runner? Look at all the guys who did!

Why didn't you invent Facebook? Worked pretty well for that Zucker-fella!

These are questions that have no answers, and when that's the case, it's pretty well understood that the one asking the questions (you) is doing so rhetorically, to put others on the spot. You must know there are no answers to these questions, and if you don't, please start listening to the countless responses in this thread that have told you so.

It is exactly a hindsight thread, why didn't you list the numerous dud QBs that have come into the league and did nothing recently or went to teams and failed (McNabb was available too)? And to alot of those QBs you used in your original post, there were no guarantees that they were any better then what Buffalo had at the time.

Its funny how people say that Buffalo has done nothing to address the QB position, when in fact, they have done alot to try and address it, but unfortunatly, it hasn't worked well for them. In the last decade + they have traded for Bledsoe, Rob Johnson (young player that appeared to have potential), signed Flutie, Fitzpatrick, Drafted Losman and Edwards, Just this offseason they brought in Vince Young and now Tavaris Jackson. They may not have drafted a QB high in the first round, but if that happened, people would be just as upset because it wasn't a linemen or a position of need (remember how Fitz was good enough, improve the line and he would look so much better)

Well if you believe you can't discuss the past without it being hindsight then that is your opinion.

Other people rather can point to the past as evidence of a trend that is still current and relevent.

Actually I picked those players because they were completely realistc options for us. Do you think Brees wanted to go to the completely devastated NOLA area - to a team that at the time was just as bad as the Bills? Vick would have went ANYWHERE and he had a great chance to start here. The other were trades/draft picks so its not like the players had any say.

Actually I am on your side on this argument, but when it comes to Brees you are 100% wrong. Walking around the area after the hurricane was the main reason he and his wife chose NOLA, so he could help the community. He was out in the community raising money and volunteering before he ever even put a Saints helmet on for practice.

It is exactly a hindsight thread, why didn't you list the numerous dud QBs that have come into the league and did nothing recently or went to teams and failed (McNabb was available too)? And to alot of those QBs you used in your original post, there were no guarantees that they were any better then what Buffalo had at the time.

Its funny how people say that Buffalo has done nothing to address the QB position, when in fact, they have done alot to try and address it, but unfortunatly, it hasn't worked well for them. In the last decade + they have traded for Bledsoe, Rob Johnson (young player that appeared to have potential), signed Flutie, Fitzpatrick, Drafted Losman and Edwards, Just this offseason they brought in Vince Young and now Tavaris Jackson. They may not have drafted a QB high in the first round, but if that happened, people would be just as upset because it wasn't a linemen or a position of need (remember how Fitz was good enough, improve the line and he would look so much better)

The only one of those QBs you list that is NFL quality (and most didn't think he was at the time) was Flutie, and that doesn't really fit your "in the last decade" argument, since it was 14 years ago they signed him and about 12 years since he wore a Bills uniform.

Haven't gone through this whole thread, but if I may jump to the conclusion - That for whatever mystical reasons for the water in Orchard Park, Buffalo Bills continue to be horrendous talent evaluators and groomers, no matter who has lead the team operations for the last 12 years.

Should that cover it?

You pretty much nailed in one long sentence where others are arguing for days over the same issue.

The only one of those QBs you list that is NFL quality (and most didn't think he was at the time) was Flutie, and that doesn't really fit your "in the last decade" argument, since it was 14 years ago they signed him and about 12 years since he wore a Bills uniform.

Thats why i said decade +

The guys I listed are "NFL Quality" as much as any of the guys the OP listed. They may not have worked out or been good, but they were all good enough to make the league and all have atleast been picked up by atleast one other team after they left here. In hindsight its simple to say all of them didn't work out, but they had just as much chance as working out as the guys on that list.

For the record, this is not a hindsight/whiner/woe-is-me thread. This is a thread that just shows you have to gamble and take a chance to get a stud QB. And we all know stud QBs are the only way to win consistently in today’s NFL.

The Bills haven’t even TRIED to get a good QB in here in the last 8 years. Sure they traded for Bledsoe – that was ten years ago. Losman sucked – but at least they tried to get a QB! I just wish they tried harder for one of the good ones, and that was what – 8 years ago?

If Brady retired at the end of the Season – would the Pats wait 8+ years to sign or draft or trade for a good QB?

NO gambled on Brees with his injury– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bears gambled on Cutler who is a whiney b*tch– why didn’t the Bills?

The Ravens gambled on Flacco who was a D1AA player– why didn’t the Bills?

The Texans gambled on Schaub who had only started 6 or 7 games– why didn’t the Bills?

The Eagles gambled on Vick who killed dogs or something– why didn’t the Bills?

The Raiders gambled on Palmer who sat out and was ready to retire– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bengals gambled on Dalton who the entire league passed on– why didn’t the Bills?

The Packers gambles on Rodgers when they still had a HOFer on the roster– why didn’t the Bills?

How do the Bills think they are going to find a franchise QB without signing one in FA, trading for one, or drafting one? Fact is the Front Office needs to sack up and bet their careers on a guy and they just don’t seem to have the balls to do it. And, as you can see, there have been plenty of opportunities to do just that - its not like there have only been bums out there for the taking.

*I do think the poster who mentioned the Bills FO likely thought they had a franchise guy has a point – but that just points to more ineptitude in this teams FO and is not an excuse IMO.

The only problem with your post is you make it sound like the Bills don't take any of these chances, yet they bring in Shawn Merriman, and extend him, a guy who hasn't hardly made a tackle in 5 years, been suspended for steriods, been in off the field trouble. They bring in Vince Young who the whole planet and two thirds of the rest of the universe know this guy doesn't have the necessities upstairs to be a quality starting quarterback. Half of acquisitions this FO has made is because either Nix or Gailey have a connection to them in the past (Thigpen, Merriman, Choice, etc.) and none of them has made even the slightest impact,with the majority of them being terrible-but cheap. So they wouldn't trade or Cutler because he is a whiny b**tch but they sign Young who is a mentall case? Dalton, yea the whole league passed on him in the first round, but only 1 team did in the second round ahead of the Bills and that team has a guy names Tom Brady at QB, and after one season, Dalton has more playoff appearances then the Bills do in the past 12 or 13 years, yet the Bills drafted a corner who had 4 interceptions his whole college career and none his last year at Texas, but missed games almost every year in college due to injuries. Edited by BuffBill

Wake Up! Not hindsight - he is stating the fact that the Bills fail to see the urgency in finding an elite QB in the pattern of most successful teams. In my opinion, the one proven fact in the NFL is that you need to have or be pursuing an Elite QB in order to win it all.

Oh look. A 20/20 hindsight post. Never see those around here.

GO BILLS!!!

Wake Up! Not hindsight - he is stating the fact that the Bills fail to see the urgency in finding an elite QB in the pattern of most successful teams. In my opinion, the one proven fact in the NFL is that you need to have or be pursuing an Elite QB in order to win it all.

But at the cost of what resources? The Bills, like every other franchise are limited in this regard. AND, like the vast majority of franchises, the Bills don't have their elusive franchise quarterback. There's a reason they're so elusive, and there's a reason not every team can find one, and there's a reason why teams can't just devote endless time and financial resources into the search.

Just like you, I'm sure the Bills organization would LOVE to wake up tomorrow with a "franchise quarterback" in their lap.

The Bills haven't even tried save for JP Losman and Trent Edwards. Its probably a good thing considering the coaching at OBD. Jauron would have ruined them also. Now after watching Gailey call all those 4-5 WR sets with one decent WR I'm glad the bills didn't draft a rookie the last 3 years.

RW openly stated during the 2010 season the Bills would draft a QB in 2011, he deferred to Nix / Gailey and let them do what they wanted. They chose Fitz

the stats are nearly the same between the 2 teams

Buffalo 390 Total Net Yards

NY Jets 384 Total Net Yards

6 net yards difference but -3 in turnover and a damn punt return for a TD

http://www.cbssports...0120909_BUF@NYJ

Bills = garbage yards against soft coverages with the game already in hand by the Jets

Jets=took the lead and never looked back, they manhandled the bills when it counted

Another reason stats can be meaningless

Edited by Fear the Beard

All of these negative Nancy annoying posters should be banned for a week so they don't have to waste their own time being sad. Maybe they'd find joy in their life.

LOL!!! I had an amazing weekend...I was Best man in a Wedding...Stayed at an incredible Beach House on Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington NC) with the best Friends and Family a guy can ask for...Went to 2 of my Nephew's Football Practices (he plays OLB for his Middle School)...It was the most fun I've had in years...Life could not be better...

But I'm still pissed off at The Bills, and I have never thought Fitz would be the answer at QB...So your theory is ridiculous...You making assumptions about Folks who are negative about this Team...Life is great...The Bills? Not so much...Not yet at least... B-)

See the real problem here is that the Bills didn't do any of the things you have suggested (and they should in the future no doubt but....), so it is like you are not facing the reality of the situation, they didn't and it is in the past. Can't do anything about it now. Time for Peter Pan to grow up.

But at the cost of what resources?

Just like you, I'm sure the Bills organization would LOVE to wake up tomorrow with a "franchise quarterback" in their lap.

The Redskins gave up two 1st and a 2nd to move up 4 spots in the draft for RG3. Granted its been one game, but does anyone think they over paid?

I don't expect them to 'wake up' tomorrow with a QB, I expect them to go out and get one. They have had over 10 years to get one and they should have gotten a very good one by now. The opportunities have been there. Period.

The Redskins gave up two 1st and a 2nd to move up 4 spots in the draft for RG3. Granted its been one game, but does anyone think they over paid?

I don't expect them to 'wake up' tomorrow with a QB, I expect them to go out and get one. They have had over 10 years to get one and they should have gotten a very good one by now. The opportunities have been there. Period.

And because the Skins for RG3, like the Jets for Sanchez, gave up the farm for yet-unproven quarterback talent, the Bills should do the same? How bout the two dozen other teams who have wandered through the "franchise quarterback" wilderness for just as long, if not longer? Why do you keep illustrating this issue as if it affects the Bills, and the Bills alone?