September Movies: Looper, The Master, Trouble with the Curve, & Co

Mark Vader

Just got back from "The Master."

There Will Be Blood is my favorite movie of all time. I like PTA, but I'm not so sure about this one. It wasn't bad, but it was frustrating. Perhaps a second watch will make it better since I won't have the feeling of wasted potential...but as of right now...while not terrible...this one faltered.

Just got back from "The Master."

There Will Be Blood is my favorite movie of all time. I like PTA, but I'm not so sure about this one. It wasn't bad, but it was frustrating. Perhaps a second watch will make it better since I won't have the feeling of wasted potential...but as of right now...while not terrible...this one faltered.

http://www.darthvadernooo.com/

Edited by ajzepp

...and Looper was alright worth seeing

So two of the most anticipated movies of the fall for me, and you're luke warm to both of them? That's a real bummer. I sure hope I enjoy them more than you did!

So two of the most anticipated movies of the fall for me, and you're luke warm to both of them? That's a real bummer. I sure hope I enjoy them more than you did!

Na I liked "The Master" I've decided. I just went in w/ high expectations. And Looper was more than "alright" allow me to correct right now Looper was good.

Na I liked "The Master" I've decided. I just went in w/ high expectations. And Looper was more than "alright" allow me to correct right now Looper was good.

Okay, well that's more encouraging. I can totally get where you're coming from with The Master....I haven't seen it yet, but I already figured it was the type of film that would probably stay with you a bit and result in you thinking about it long after it ends....I love movies like that. There is some massive acting/directing talent involved in that project, so I"m sure it's got a lot of layers to sort through.

Okay, well that's more encouraging. I can totally get where you're coming from with The Master....I haven't seen it yet, but I already figured it was the type of film that would probably stay with you a bit and result in you thinking about it long after it ends....I love movies like that. There is some massive acting/directing talent involved in that project, so I"m sure it's got a lot of layers to sort through.

I definitely read a few reviews after seeing it that more or less made me think certain things were more interesting...

I definitely read a few reviews after seeing it that more or less made me think certain things were more interesting...

lol, I do that sometimes too....helps in your analysis of the film.

I just read the most confusing review of Looper. It starts by saying how smart it is and that it was a solid movie... and then proceeded to shred it for the rest of the review. I don't know what to think.

I just read the most confusing review of Looper. It starts by saying how smart it is and that it was a solid movie... and then proceeded to shred it for the rest of the review. I don't know what to think.

It is a good movie and worth seeing. It could be trimmed a bit in the second half but other than that ....

the movie held together very well especially the human story part of it. There were what appeared to be plot holes and I am not entirely sure if it was weak writing or bits of dialog that I missed. But if you forgive some little logical flaws about time travel, this will keep you entertained. Think 12 Monkeys and not Back to the Future

I know what you mean. I was reading through the RT reviews and they seem all over the place.

Jake Gyllenhaal & Michael Pena star in "End of Watch". Two young officers are marked for death after confiscating a small cache of money and firearms from the members of a notorious cartel, during a routine traffic stop. Also starring Anna Kendrick & America Ferrera.

"End of Watch": http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi3486098713/

I saw this over the weekend, awesome movie!

Let's remember that Paul Thomas Anderson draws raves from the critics, but audiences do not know how to take his material.

Everybody loves "Boogie Nights", but people either love or hate "Magnolia", there is no in-between with that movie.

Let's remember that Paul Thomas Anderson draws raves from the critics, but audiences do not know how to take his material.

Everybody loves "Boogie Nights", but people either love or hate "Magnolia", there is no in-between with that movie.

Good point. Another reason why I tend to believe I'll really enjoy The Master, cause I fall into the camp of being a PTA fan.

True that. I love PT (saw The Master over the weekend and was completely mesmerized by it) but I am not crazy about Magnolia. I put most of the blame on Tom Cruise being in that film though. I find his presence to be very off putting. Ever since I was a kid that guy has totally creeped me out. Can't put my finger on it but the dude just makes my skin crawl.

I saw The Master in about a half full theater and the audience was very into it. Definitely a far different experience from when I saw There Will Be Blood surrounded by 80 meatballs who simply could not sit still. Maybe the difference is in my seeing The Master in NY and Blood in Stillwater, OK. But I like to think people have picked up on his rhythms and have begun to appreciate him as one of the great filmmakers. But then again I am sure deluding myself. Moral: go see The Master.

True that. I love PT (saw The Master over the weekend and was completely mesmerized by it)

That's what I want to hear! :)