To the MEDICAL doctors on this board: Stevie at "90%" - what c

richNjoisy

We usually have a few physicians on this board. Steve Johnson had offseason surgery on his groin and stated recently he is "at 90%". This obviously means he is feeling something still (pain?Tightness?) when he makes certain football maneuvers. My questions are:

1.) How confident can we be it won't get worse? Is worsening LIKELY, more likely, or simply "possible"?

2.) Would the Bills be wise to not use him much or at all until he is 100%?

What is your unseen diagnosis doctors?

Thanks and Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

He's had a couple moments of tightness/soreness over the off season. I'm no medical expert, but just from experience, that tells me it's going to be nagging/worse for the whole season unless he takes a few weeks off.

(this is just my experience with nagging groin area stuff, it sticks around unfortunately... at least for me)

Edited by Dorkington

it depends on what he means by 90%.... if it was an injury, the bills would have rested him...

90% here means, the strength and speed he is at after the groin rehab... im not a doctor, but that seems logical to me.

its the rehab process

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

Groin injuries always linger. Since he had surgury tho im guessing its just rehab and speed and such

Yeah we saw Andre Reed and Eric Moulds basically lose whole seasons to that injury.

I will say that SJ looks different though, he has been battling groin issues basically his whole career now, and has always seemed to play well through them.

given very little details (as you pointed out) my main concern is in qualifying what he meant by 90% in terms of the 'trajectory' of recovery.

-If he has steadily improved since surgery and continues to inch forward (he is better now than a month ago, week ago etc.) ....my guess is he is fine to play.

-If he, at some point prior, was 'better' and has dropped back to 'only' being 90% that would be much more of a concern to me.

Hard to say anything concrete for obvious reasons but my suspicion is the former. If he had taken a step back in recovery, the team would/should exercise caution.

To echo what the captain said....groin injuries can be a nightmare. It's hard to accelerate, cut, push off tacklers etc. with that type of injury...and they can be very stubborn to heal. I'm sure he has been cleared medically and it is just a matter of how he feels. At present, he's 90%. Could all just be Stevie playing a little mind games with Mr. Island as well.

given very little details (as you pointed out) my main concern is in qualifying what he meant by 90% in terms of the 'trajectory' of recovery.

-If he has steadily improved since surgery and continues to inch forward (he is better now than a month ago, week ago etc.) ....my guess is he is fine to play.

-If he, at some point prior, was 'better' and has dropped back to 'only' being 90% that would be much more of a concern to me.

Hard to say anything concrete for obvious reasons but my suspicion is the former. If he had taken a step back in recovery, the team would/should exercise caution.

To echo what the captain said....groin injuries can be a nightmare. It's hard to accelerate, cut, push off tacklers etc. with that type of injury...and they can be very stubborn to heal. I'm sure he has been cleared medically and it is just a matter of how he feels. At present, he's 90%. Could all just be Stevie playing a little mind games with Mr. Island as well.

Had a groin injury and hip flexor injury in high school al 4 years. It never went away no matter ho much rehab, stretching, ice, rest. It never healed til after two years of no significant running, cutting ect.

From your post, Captain, I assume that means you did not have surgery. One would THINK the point of having surgery is to accelerate healing rather...in other words, the doctors chose to perform surgery on him which MAY have meant his injury was worse than yours was Captain H but still they must have done it to make him better.

That said, thanks BillsFanMD for your professional opinion. My own experience and observation is the same as the Captain's but I have never had surgery nor known anyone who has had it. I also didn't have a zillion personal trainers nor was my LIFE playing sports. So, one would figure the recovery process would be different for many reasons for a first class athlete. You clearly read what my question was: Can one GET BETTER and still be extremely active? My take on what you said is that one CAN get better....was I correct in that assessment? Us weekend athletes who have had groin issues learned that only non activity for like forever heals the damn thing.

-RnJ

There is no medical meaning to Stevie's claim he is "90%". It's his subjective report of how he feels.

He had, I assume, repair of a "sportman's hernia", which isn't a hernia at all. It's not clear why this operation may or may not improve a players groin pain. But most seem to get better. SJ is just saying he's not in midseason form yet, I would assume.

Nothing to read more into.

There are so many variables here it's impossible to make an accurate prediction.

What exactly was the surgery? "Groin" surgery is a very non-specific term. I'm involved with a very busy sports medicine orthopedic surgery group and in ten years I can't remember doing a "groin" surgery. My guess, based on how quick he came back, is its probably some sort of hernia, not a direct muscle tear and fix. Bad muscle injuries that require surgery usually take a lot longer to come back from.

He's probably feeling tightness from scar formation which is part of the normal healing process and will take up to a year to completely resolve. There is a definite risk of re-injuring it but how likely that will be is impossible to say.

I think he will be fine and will be dealing with this in some (hopefully minor) way for the entire season.

RTB

Thanks RTB - interesting - Again, you and BillsFanMD DID answer my questions - "uncertainty" (or as you put it, RTB, "there is a risk of reinjury" and "he will be likely dealing with this...") is better than, "he is definitely at high risk of reinjury" etc etc.

Wait and see and hope.

Go Bills!

K, so I'll attempt to put this in a "plain english" scenario...I play semi pro ball & last year I had a pretty significant groin injury week 2. I missed 4 games (6 weeks with bye's). Even then, it was nagging (a little pain, but mostly tight). No surgery & an offseason helped, but I wasn't 100% until a couple weeks into this season...

Post surgery 90% means he's fine & getting stronger, almost to the point where he was prior to any injury at all...and I agree with the Doc, mind game w/ "Mr. Island" cuz we all know SJ13 owns a significant chunk of realestate on the Isle of Revis. Pretty much a dig that he used him last year @ less then 100%