What do you think of the new Helmet rule?

Buffalo Barbarian

NCAA helmet rule  

25 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the rule that requires the players to leave the field for one play should be eliminated?

Been watching college games and I think this rule were a player comes off the field for one play is dumb.

What purpose does it serve? Do they think players want their helmets to come off? It happens no big deal and for the life of me I can't think of one player that has been hurt when their Helmet has come off.

Does it speak more to making sure guys use proper fit and wear their equipment properly?

I dont see guys hit after helmets come off but I do see head injuries, and guys that don't gear up properly.

Just thinking out loud - no inside info.

Also I don't see helmets coming off that often, so it shouldn't cost any 1 guy many plays.

Does it speak more to making sure guys use proper fit and wear their equipment properly?

I dont see guys hit after helmets come off but I do see head injuries, and guys that don't gear up properly.

Just thinking out loud - no inside info.

Also I don't see helmets coming off that often, so it shouldn't cost any 1 guy many plays.

It cost the Clemson QB two plays so far and one was a 3rd and short.

^The two posts above me nailed it.

Any rule that is intended to improve player safety is a good rule. There is no reason a player's helmet should come off, unless he's hit hard enough, in which case he needs to be medically evaluated. I see no issues with this rule whatsoever.

make that 3 plays and with the last being a 4 rth goal, where they kicked a field goal instead of going for it, if that was the Bills we'd all be screaming about it ( Yes I Know it's a college rule, just saying).

It forces players off of the field where they can be properly evaluated after a collision jarring enough to seperate them from their head gear. It's a saftey procedure, and a good one.

No, most of the time the helmets were pulled off during Tackling, he didn't lose his helmet once from a hard hit.

^The two posts above me nailed it.

Any rule that is intended to improve player safety is a good rule. There is no reason a player's helmet should come off, unless he's hit hard enough, in which case he needs to be medically evaluated. I see no issues with this rule whatsoever.

What happens when players start ripping other helmets off to get key guys out of the game on important downs?

What if an opposing player rips your helmet off and gets penalized ? Do you still have to come off field ? If so this creates situations where the rational thing to do is rip a guys helmet off to get him off the field for a play

was typing the same thing

Only time helmets come off that I have seen is when the players dont snap the chin strap. Maybee they will actaully start wearing thier safety gear properly with this rule. The ripping off the helmet on purpose thing probably should be addressed if becomes more common however.

Only time helmets come off that I have seen is when the players dont snap the chin strap. Maybee they will actaully start wearing thier safety gear properly with this rule. The ripping off the helmet on purpose thing probably should be addressed if becomes more common however.

Im a defender at the bottom of a pile with the opposing team's QB or other star player, make darn certain Im trying to get his helment off. "Helmets" will be a new Saints-like bounty system, like skins when American Indians fought European settlers.

it's ridiculous how easily, and how often, helmets pop off nowadays. it never used to be that way. they aren't being worn properly, it's not the manly thing to do to strap them up tightly. either wear them properly, or don't wear them at all. i think it's a good rule.

can draw parallels to hockey -- helmet no helmet, visor no visor, face cage no face cage. eventually the safer thing wins the day. i'm all for violence in the game, but if you're going to wear a helmet, wear it.

What happens when players start ripping other helmets off to get key guys out of the game on important downs?

Have you ever tried to rip a properly worn Football helmet off of someone's head?

Now try it with officials littered across the field and see if you get away with it.

I highly doubt we'll see an outbreak of helmet ripping at any level of organized Football.

What if an opposing player rips your helmet off and gets penalized ? Do you still have to come off field ? If so this creates situations where the rational thing to do is rip a guys helmet off to get him off the field for a play

Not following your logic here. The "rational" thing to do is take a penalty and give up yardage/first down so you don't have to defend a particular player on the next play? Don't think so.

Not following your logic here. The "rational" thing to do is take a penalty and give up yardage/first down so you don't have to defend a particular player on the next play? Don't think so.

There is already an exception. Before BB bashes the rule, he should learn it. If the defender has an illegal hit, facemask penalty, etc... The offensive player is exempt from coming out.

Edited by NoSaint

• 3 weeks later...

If you went back far enough in the archives, a few years ago I posted about how strange it seemed that the amount of helmets popping off over the first couple weeks of the season seemed to have skyrocketed, and it's been that way ever since. A friend and I talked about it back then (must have been about 5 years ago) and came up with two ideas.

The first, and more likely, has been mentioned already; players don't think it's cool to wear their safety gear (a Kelso's helmet type of thing) so they're not strapping up properly.

The second, and admittedly a little out there, is that players aren't wearing their gear properly because helmets popping off gives them attention. It implies a big hit that the player brushes off, the camera focuses on them, and not only that, but their faces (w/out helmet) are plastered on national TV (how cool is that!). We mainly talked about this because we noticed that as these helmets came off, the players took forever to put them back on. They'd walk around with the helmets in their hands until it was time to start lining up for the next play.

Anyway, whatever the reason, there was definitely a huge increase in the quantity of helmets coming off. IMO, as players realize this is hurting them, this rule will only occasionally be needed.

Edited by Faustus

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.