Post Convention Bounce?

Mitt Romney has moved into a narrow lead over U.S. President Barack Obama in a small bounce for him from the Republican National Convention, a Reuters/Ipsos poll found on Thursday.

Romney entered the week four points behind Obama in the first installment of a Reuters/Ipsos rolling poll, with Obama leading 46 percent to 42 percent.

But the most recent daily rolling poll gave Romney a two-point lead of 44 percent to 42 percent among likely voters.

The former governor of Massachusetts has been in the spotlight at the convention in Tampa, Florida, and was to make his acceptance speech on Thursday night in the biggest test of his White House bid.

Ipsos pollster Julia Clark said the poll results were proof that Romney is getting a positive outcome from the three-day Republican gathering.

"I'd say the convention is going very well for him," she said.

So-called convention "bounces" are typically short-lived. With Obama to accept his party's nomination for a second term next week at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, the incumbent could quickly rebound.

But the poll was further evidence of an extremely close race between Romney and Obama as they seek to energize party activists and appeal to undecided voters in battleground states who could determine the outcome of the election on Nov. 6.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll also found signs that Romney's likability rating is slowly improving among voters, two days after his wife, Ann, talked up her husband's personal attributes and declared, "This man will not fail."

While he still trails Obama by almost 20 points on likability, Romney is now at 30 percent for "likable," up from 26 percent on Monday.

And 32 percent reported Romney is a "good person," up from 29 percent on Monday. Obama still leads by 10 points in this category.

Clark said the improvement in polling on his personality traits is important because of how far he lags behind Obama in these areas.

"Any ground that he can gain on this is very critical," she said.

Romney, 65, is basing his campaign for defeating Obama on promises to improve the U.S. economy and reduce its 8.3 percent unemployment rate.

This continues to be Romney's strongest argument, as 76 percent of those polled said the U.S. economy is on the wrong track.

Voters remain split on Romney's vice presidential running mate, Paul Ryan, who delivered a stinging rebuke of Obama during a prime-time convention speech on Wednesday night.

The survey found 47 percent of registered voters had a favorable view of Ryan, compared to 53 percent unfavorable.

For the survey, a sample of 1,481 American registered voters was interviewed online. The precision of the Reuters/Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll has a credibility interval of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points for all respondents. (Editing by Alistair Bell and Jim Loney)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/poll-romney-takes-lead-ov_n_1844512.html

Not likely. The electorate is so highly polarized, I would expect a modest bounce. Most people have already made up their minds, and it's a matter of turnout.

Conservatives are much more energized, but there are more Democrats, so the Dem's don't have to match the same enthusiasm as the Conservatives.

Poll after poll is showing that Romney has a healthy lead with Independents, so it's up to them to make sure that they show up to the polls, without them, he loses.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitt's speech wasn't bad. Watched it live. Not much talk on policy though.

"We need an American." I'm surprised the left hasn't jumped on that line from last night. Lol

Thats disappointing fjl2nd..............thats right from the leftist/schultz/maddow siliness

HERE'S the line, from the section saluting Neil Armstrong.

"Tonight that American flag is still there on the moon. And I don't doubt for a second that Neil Armstrong's spirit is still with us: that unique blend of optimism, humility and the utter confidence that when the world needs someone to do the really big stuff, you need an American".

Yeah.....real "birther" material.....

Thats disappointing fjl2nd..............thats right from the leftist/schultz/maddow siliness

HERE'S the line, from the section saluting Neil Armstrong.

"Tonight that American flag is still there on the moon. And I don't doubt for a second that Neil Armstrong's spirit is still with us: that unique blend of optimism, humility and the utter confidence that when the world needs someone to do the really big stuff, you need an American".

Yeah.....real "birther" material.....

I wasn't saying I THINK they should jump on it. I'm surprised they didn't make something out of it. Especially Lawrence O' Donnell Or ED.

I didn't even catch that. Geez, Fji2nd is about as bat schitt crazy as the most extremist voices from the loons on MSNBC

I have no problem with the line. I was commenting on the liberal pundits who surprised me for not going after it. Although I did see an Ed Schultz tweet about it just calling it an interesting line. Lol

I wasn't saying I THINK they should jump on it. I'm surprised they didn't make something out of it. Especially Lawrence O' Donnell Or ED.

I have no problem with the line. I was commenting on the liberal pundits who surprised me for not going after it. Although I did see an Ed Schultz tweet about it just calling it an interesting line. Lol

They did though. Smug, Ed Norton looking prick with glasses on MSNBC was crying about it last night. I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with it? I thought it did Romney credit that he mentioned patriotism frequently...

They did though. Smug, Ed Norton looking prick with glasses on MSNBC was crying about it last night. I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with it? I thought it did Romney credit that he mentioned patriotism frequently...

Please note that the word "smug" is now considered racist.

They haven't said it yet, but I'm guessing sometime soon you will hear from them that the chanting from the crowd of

U-S-A

will be interpreted as racist.

The last third was interpreted as very dark and war like, with all the NOoOoOo!

I think that it was quite smart for Romney to emphasize the Patriotism and American pride angle. Also, I had zero problem with his contention that the USA should dictate to other countries things in our own best interest. It's what most people want to hear, that this country is the greatest in the history of the world. I find nothing wrong wi that at all. This is an area where Obama is weak (IMO), foreign policy, I think the "apology tour" particularly hit home. It will be interesting how the President responds at the DNC.

I did think it was kind of lame to mention Obama told Russia he'd get back to them after the election (really, what was he gonna say, talk to whoever the GOP nominate?)

I think that it was quite smart for Romney to emphasize the Patriotism and American pride angle. Also, I had zero problem with his contention that the USA should dictate to other countries things in our own best interest. It's what most people want to hear, that this country is the greatest in the history of the world. I find nothing wrong wi that at all. This is an area where Obama is weak (IMO), foreign policy, I think the "apology tour" particularly hit home. It will be interesting how the President responds at the DNC.

I did think it was kind of lame to mention Obama told Russia he'd get back to them after the election (really, what was he gonna say, talk to whoever the GOP nominate?)

Didn't he say something like his hands were tied until after the election?

Except he didn't tell Medvedev to get back to him after the election, he told him that he'd have 'more flexibility' after the election. Which kind of came across to mean that he'd like to give Putin what Putin wants but it might cost him the election so Vlady needs to wait a few months before the US will roll over.