Rolling Stones: 50th anniversary documenatry coming to HBO

Buftex

I am psyched for this. I can't tell from the release how long the film will be (I was hoping for something akin to the "Beatles Anthology" documentary), but given that it is playing in movie theaters in the UK, it seems it can't be too long...still looking forward:

http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/08/30/crossfire-hurricane-a-new-film-from-the-rolling-stones/

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I transferred that "25x5" to DVD not long ago...I remember thinking how great it was at the time (1989), but, in retrospect, it really glossed over a lot of things...sounds like the Stones themselves were a little more involved with this, so I am hopeful. I am sure there will be quite a bit on the Vegas Stones years...it has been about half their existence!

So, I'm listening to Dylan's new album streaming for free thru ITunes for the 2nd time in a row now, just tremendous, his best since at least Love And Theft, still on top of his game. And then there's the Stones, announcing another greatest hits set with 2 new songs on it that are sure to be as crappy as the 4 new ones on Forty Licks, grrr, just pathetic. If you would've told me this is how they would've both ended up 30 years ago, I'd have said you were crazy.

Edited by Rico

So, I'm listening to Dylan's new album streaming for free thru ITunes for the 2nd time in a row now, just tremendous, his best since at least Love And Theft, still on top of his game. And then there's the Stones, announcing another greatest hits set with 2 new songs on it that are sure to be as crappy as the 4 new ones on Forty Licks, grrr, just pathetic. If you would've told me this is how they would've both ended up 30 years ago, I'd have said you were crazy.

Have to agree Grrrr is pretty lame but maybe it's a contractual obligation. I know where I'll be when some tour dates are announced.

Have to agree Grrrr is pretty lame but maybe it's a contractual obligation. I know where I'll be when some tour dates are announced.

I will be blasting L.A.Friday and counting all the money I will be saving by staying at home. :D .

12186694-600x600.jpg

:lol:

Keef is always cool, in my book (and his!). I remember going to see Darlene Love do her Christmas show years ago, in NYC, and Keith came stumbling in with blinking Christmas lights in his hair.It cracked me up.

Yeah, that album artwork "Grrr" is awful...big whup...two new, likely unmememorable tracks (unless they are wretched...still a possiblity!), and a "career spanning" collection of their greatest hits...I have had a few of those ever since the advent of the CD burner!

Oh well, still looking forward to the documentary. I will always love this band, even though the bonus tracks on the "Exile" and "Some Girls" deluxe editions are the only legitly good material they have put out in years (actually like a cut or two off each album from the 90's and 2000's, but don't love them)...they are like rock -n'roll Santa Claus to me...you know they are kind of BS, at this point, but the great memories from when you still believed (or when they still put out great records) compensates for the not so thrilling stuff later. For me...

Keef is always cool, in my book (and his!). I remember going to see Darlene Love do her Christmas show years ago, in NYC, and Keith came stumbling in with blinking Christmas lights in his hair.It cracked me up.

Yeah, that album artwork "Grrr" is awful...big whup...two new, likely unmememorable tracks (unless they are wretched...still a possiblity!), and a "career spanning" collection of their greatest hits...I have had a few of those ever since the advent of the CD burner!

Oh well, still looking forward to the documentary. I will always love this band, even though the bonus tracks on the "Exile" and "Some Girls" deluxe editions are the only legitly good material they have put out in years (actually like a cut or two off each album from the 90's and 2000's, but don't love them)...they are like rock -n'roll Santa Claus to me...you know they are kind of BS, at this point, but the great memories from when you still believed (or when they still put out great records) compensates for the not so thrilling stuff later. For me...

I am very, very thankful & grateful for the Ladies & Gentlemen + Some Girls Live In Texas blu-rays (as well as the upcoming Charlie Is My Darling), and the Brussels Affair, Hampton Coliseum, and L.A. Friday archive releases. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

The Stones will do a pay for view show on December 15. The last of their 2 Brooklyn shows.

That's cool...though it means I finally have to hook my tv up to my stereo!!

FWIW- I thought the Brooklyn shows were moved to New Jersey? Am I wrong on this?

• 5 weeks later...

Cool, I hope it is like 25x5 and covers everything up to the Vegas years... no Chuck Leavell or Don Was interviews please.

I just saw Crossfire Hurricane off my DVR & it was truly great, it stopped after 1981 (no mention of 82) with no Vegas crap until the end credits rolled (the contrast was jarring :sick: ). My only complaint as usual with these documentaries is that they only show clips of songs & I would rather see the whole song intact.

I just saw Crossfire Hurricane off my DVR & it was truly great, it stopped after 1981 (no mention of 82) with no Vegas crap until the end credits rolled (the contrast was jarring :sick: ). My only complaint as usual with these documentaries is that they only show clips of songs & I would rather see the whole song intact.

. I think the the two new songs are good, one more shot is all keith and the greatest hits is a joke at this time, where is sta!@#$er

Good interview with the guys with matt laurer on the today show. Keith lose the shades!

Good interview with the guys with matt laurer on the today show. Keith lose the shades!

. Don't care for bob's vocals on this cd, to raspy for me

Age has nothing to do with the blues or roc n roll!

Two things "age" can get away with, The Blues and The BILLS. Very similar! People that are older usually have more lifetime experiences to sing the blues about, but Rock & Roll starts to look a little pathetic!

Maybe if they hit Mick with the shock paddles, at the beginning of Start Me Up, it would be worth watching?