Wow, Ex-punter Tom Tupa just won a suit for Worker's Comp

Its not a joke.....

All jobs that you can have have workmans compensation clauses either governed by the feds or the states that protects employees from getting hurt on the job.

i dont know all the details in this case.....but something like this should be governed in the labor contract.

Its the reason why you hear about players getting an injury buy out release because its basically giving them workmans comp for their onjury due to their job.

Its also the issue behind the long term head injury stuff

Its likely Tupa claims he was hurt, the redskins just say he was cut but didnt report the injury thus tupa didnt get compensation for his injury on the job.

What kind of work do you guys do??? Imagine if you are injured on te job doing what you are paid to do....

Its not a joke.....

All jobs that you can have have workmans compensation clauses either governed by the feds or the states that protects employees from getting hurt on the job.

i dont know all the details in this case.....but something like this should be governed in the labor contract.

Its the reason why you hear about players getting an injury buy out release because its basically giving them workmans comp for their onjury due to their job.

Its also the issue behind the long term head injury stuff

Its likely Tupa claims he was hurt, the redskins just say he was cut but didnt report the injury thus tupa didnt get compensation for his injury on the job.

What kind of work do you guys do??? Imagine if you are injured on te job doing what you are paid to do....

I don't have to imagine it...I'm an RN and have a permanent disability as a result of an on the job injury. I was literally in the process of attempting to save a life...the pt coded while on the bedside commode. I have to work a cubicle job now as a result, or I can work in a hospital in a mgmt position...but my bedside career as an RN is over.

For quite a bit of background about multiple workers' comp cases involving NFL players, see:

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202546314009&NFL_and_Falcons_Sue_Former_Players_Over_Workers_Comp

Professional football players injured while playing are generally entitled to workers' compensation benefits while they are out of work; the benefits include pay for medical expenses arising from that injury, according to the NFL Players Association website.

"This is important since NFL clubs will not pay medical expenses after a player leaves the game unless the player files a workers' compensation claim," the website states.

The Atlanta suit is one of a number of federal suits the NFL and professional football teams are filing against hundreds of former football players who have lodged workers' compensation claims in California, even when the teams for which they played are based elsewhere.

Lots more info in the full article above.

Less comprehensive treatment at:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/california-delivers-blow-to-player-workers-compensation-claims/

and

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2012/08/07/258619.htm (involves Bruce Matthews)

Yes!

At the very least, have the damn kickers do the punting, too....seems like such a waste of a roster spot to me.

At the very least, have the damn kickers do the punting, too....seems like such a waste of a roster spot to me.

Both are important skills to have on a team, but I agree that it puzzles me...there aren't 32 men in this world capable of kicking a football when it's on the ground AND when they drop it onto their foot?

Well, if I was like Tupa, I would making about 20 times what I make now. Aka if I was a punter for 2 years, thats the same I would bring home in my entire working life (22-62). SO I think I would be a little prepared to do something else other than punt....like sit at a desk with back pain like I currently do.

If he was paralized and couldnt work at all then OK yes, but there are thousands of jobs this guy could still do. I hear being a CPA pays well.

I am telling you what a joke, this has to stop. NFL Players are going to start winning workers comp cases. What a joke? Football is getting soft, for real. What do you guys think?

http://nomorelinks....rkers-comp-wow/

hmmm,... I'm a bit surprised to see this. My ex brother-in-law used to work for an insurance company in Boston, who did a bunch of work with the Patriots 10 years ago... he used to handle their settlement claims. He said at the time that practically every player retires with a long-term disability claim. I didn't realize this was a new thing

Queue the Patriots as cheaters jokes... this has been going on a long time, I think.

Both are important skills to have on a team, but I agree that it puzzles me...there aren't 32 men in this world capable of kicking a football when it's on the ground AND when they drop it onto their foot?

AND be the brunt of a million jokes.

Really, by now you'd think we'd have this in the NFL, I agree. But that 3 points is often SO crucial and the skill so apparently refined in terms of maximizing both muscle memory and time for repetitions.

SEriously, wtf? lol

I bet you could bring Randall Cunningham out of retirement NOW and he could punt for a very respectable average in the NFL.

AND be the brunt of a million jokes.

Really, by now you'd think we'd have this in the NFL, I agree. But that 3 points is often SO crucial and the skill so apparently refined in terms of maximizing both muscle memory and time for repetitions.

I agree the FG is the more valuable skill...so get rid of the damn punters then.