Annoying "NFLSpeak". Mine is "no question".

"Ray Rice is the best running back in the NFL and 'let me tell you why' " (Mark Schlereth, Lee Corso are the greatest offenders)

The phrase "and let me tell you why" drives me crazy. Just tell us "why" without saying you're going to "tell us why".

How about, "it goes without saying". Yet they say it anyway!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest: Referring to the NFL playoffs as "the tournament."

It drives me up a wall when they overenunciate "tour" in the word.

Second: Aggressiveness. This is a made-up American word. The English language already has "Aggression." Why do americans just think of a word and add "-ness" onto the end without bothering to think whether a word to serve that function already exists?

I'm sure this post lacks persuasiveness (persuasion?) because I dont have enough humbleness (humility?).

Carry on, sirs.

Kind of like how the English language had the word "normality" before it became cute to switch to "normalcy".

"...right after this commercial time out"

A bit off topic, but i find it histerical (in a change the channel quick sort of way) when the cool sounding tough guy voice comes on the radio and says "Another forty minutes of non stop rock is neexxt." immediately followed by five mintes of commercials. WTF?!

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

All this stuff used to annoy me, too. But maybe because I'm gettting old, I now only laugh when NFL players, coaches and commentators butcher the English language. After all, language exists to communicate feelings and ideas and while many in the NFL may not be elegant in their communication, we get what they are trying to say.

It would be a more boring world, actually, if we all talked the same without slang, neologisms and mixed metaphors, and only with the best of grammar. I may not be entirely sure what a "down hill runner" is but it's more colorful than hearing again and again that a certain back is a "straight-ahead runner" who's "best between the tackles."

No phrase annoys me. I concentrate on the game itself.

Maybe that's why I hate "Bills lost"

If I had to be picky and forced to select something. "Vanilla" game plan or vanilla scheme is annoying. I like vanilla. Why couldnt it be chocolate game planning???????? Or better yet, keep ice cream out of football talk!!!

Haha good job fellas. Here's mine>

1. Anything that comes out of Russ Brandon's mouth. "It's NORTH of a million dollars" "It's a committee draft, but Buddy has complete autonomy" You sound like such a Dbag Russ.

2. Bruce Smith faves "It's water UNDER the dam right now" or "we played astronomically" (both lines in the same interview by the way)

3. The National Football League. Someone else mentioned this already. Dude just say NFL. Major offenders Cris Carter, Jim Kelly, Gregg Williams, Tom Jackson. you sound like idiots guys.

4. Using the word "Particular" in front of everything to make yourself sound more sophisticated and esoteric. It's the ultimate weasel word. On this PARTICULAR play. In that PARTICULAR game. Just skip the word it adds nothing.

5. "having said that......" Oh God I want to kill coaches and ESPN guys when they use this phrase. If "particular" is a weasel word, then "having said that" is a weasel phrase. Yeah we just heard you say that, so you don't have to tell us that you just said it you jackass.

6. "and I'll tell you why" Kornheiser loves this one. Ok dickhead, just tell me why. You don't have to tell me that you;re GOING TO TELL ME. Just say it man. For god's sake just say it.....

Okay I have a lot more but I'm flamin out boys..........

1. Anything that comes out of Russ Brandon's mouth. "It's NORTH of a million dollars" "It's a committee draft, but Buddy has complete autonomy" You sound like such a Dbag Russ.

2. Bruce Smith faves "It's water UNDER the dam right now" or "we played astronomically" (both lines in the same interview by the way)

3. The National Football League. Someone else mentioned this already. Dude just say NFL. Major offenders Cris Carter, Jim Kelly, Gregg Williams, Tom Jackson. you sound like idiots guys.

4. Using the word "Particular" in front of everything to make yourself sound more sophisticated and esoteric. It's the ultimate weasel word. On this PARTICULAR play. In that PARTICULAR game. Just skip the word it adds nothing.

5. "having said that......" Oh God I want to kill coaches and ESPN guys when they use this phrase. If "particular" is a weasel word, then "having said that" is a weasel phrase. Yeah we just heard you say that, so you don't have to tell us that you just said it you jackass.

6. "and I'll tell you why" Kornheiser loves this one. Ok dickhead, just tell me why. You don't have to tell me that you;re GOING TO TELL ME. Just say it man. For god's sake just say it.....

I like the National Football League. I remember a particular time when players would make north of a couple dollars. Having said that, now some players make millions. And I'll tell you why. The game is bigger. So the money is greater. Ah what the heck, its water under the dam right now.

The most overused word in all of American pro sports: "adversity"

When does anyone other than a pro athlete use that word?

I use it with my kids when they come home with a crappy grade, left a mess in the family room and then expect to get taken somewhere. Then they have to overcome further adversity with me landing on them...

This is why I love using "having said that"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhyGlGgXMxY

"Pick six".

I !@#$ing hate that. It's an interception return for a touchdown. It's not a !@#$ing scratch-off lottery ticket.

Now use all of them in a sentence...

"Although it's water under the dam right now, I dislike this particular post, and having said that, I'll tell you why..."

Mine is "decimated" as in "decimated by injury". This is used so often, and I believe it's rarely used how the word is actually supposed to be used.

Decimated means something is reduced by a fraction (ie. a decimal) not completely wiped out until there is just a fraction left. This is how it is almost always used. So in actuality, "decimated" refers to losing a small part of something, not almost all of it. I honestly don't care that much but I've noticed that this is how the word is almost always used.

However, lots of words take on additional or even warped definitions over time based on how populations use them.

The word "decimated" has its origin in Roman times. When the Roman army didn't fight as well or as hard as it should have, its leaders would sometimes respond by decimating it. The soldiers would be lined up, and every tenth soldier would have to step forward. The soldiers who stepped forward would then be killed by the rest. The army would then be told, "If you don't want this to happen to you again, don't show cowardice when facing the enemy."

So that's the origin of "decimated," which, taken literally, means losing one out of every ten. Its meaning has become broader in post-Roman times, however.

This one has puzzled me for years too. At first I thought they meant on a field with a crown (not too many left these days), you'd run to the outside where you would in fact be "running downhill". But I think they mean something else. Not sure.

Have you ever tried to stop when you are running full speed down hill? It's just an expression to reflect how he is running so hard it's like he is running down hill.. Now the mystery has been solved.. and you can move on with your life.. and put this behind you.. :)

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing "Consistency" but apparently it's really important..

"I have to look out for my family" from a contract holdout. Because the millions of dollars per year he's currently making won't sustain his family. :blink:

Antonio Cromartie would beg to differ on this point...that dude needs some serious coin to support his kids.

"Pick six".

I !@#$ing hate that. It's an interception return for a touchdown. It's not a !@#$ing scratch-off lottery ticket.

Now use all of them in a sentence...

"Although it's water under the dam right now, I dislike this particular post, and having said that, I'll tell you why..."

Pick 6 is actually kind of catchy. I like it. Then we blame them for being too "vanilla"... They are just adding color.

"most definitely"

Beat me to it, can you say Eric Dickerson? Most definitley!

"Ya gotta love...."

Ya gotta love a guy like that with mud on his pants

Ya gott alove how he sees the field

Ya gotta love how he sheds blocks

Ya gotta love...give it a rest

I see you have met Chuckie!

The one that bugs me the most, usually used, I mean over-used in Hockey, is "Obviously", the Canucks love that one, I think that it is a substitute for how we

use "well" or "um" in our conversations

Edited by Tu-Toned