Mystery DE's

HOUSE

On Monday ahead of practice, Buffalo Bills General Manager Buddy Nix alluded to two young defensive ends that he felt have really made a nice push in training camp and through two preseason games.

When pressed as to who those two were, both Nix and head coach Chan Gailey curled in to a ball of secrecy.

"I would rather not name them. We have a bunch of them out there working," said Nix.

"We've got a couple young guys," Gailey coyly said. <SNIP>

http://www.wgr550.co....php?pid=260217

Edited by HOUSE

So as to alleviate Hopeful's headaches:

Here are the basic stipulations regarding the practice squad:

- Players must not have an accrued season in the NFL, which could be a full year on the Injured Reserve.

- Players must not have been active (or "dressing" for the 45-man roster on game days) for more than eight games in any given season they spent on a 53-man roster.

- Players that served two seasons on a practice squad are only eligible for a third year if the team keeps 53 players on their roster throughout the duration of their time on that practice squad. A season on the practice squad is counted for being on it for merely three games in the first two seasons, and only one for the third.

From Chris Brown:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Open-door-for-Gilbert--Moore/90da5f2f-d3e5-4e9e-95ff-12e61b3ea7ef?campaign=BillsBuzz

"With Mark Anderson sidelined today, Kyle Moore not only got second team reps at defensive end, but first team reps as well. With the first unit he worked at left defensive end, then flipped over to the right side with the second group.

Jarron Gilbert manned the left defensive end position with the second unit Monday all but confirming that he and Moore are the two young prospects the coaches want to see more of between now and final cuts Aug. 31st."

Can you say Danny Batten and Robert Eddins???

I believe Danny Batten is one of the guys.

I don't get how Batten would be a surprise DE, when he has been playing almost entirely at LB. Also both Gailey and Batten himself have admitted to him struggling, he is probably a long shot to make the team. I haven't paid close attention to Eddins, but I liked him at LB last year, has he been getting looks at DE?

Moore is the only "noname" DE I have seen make any impact, and only a slight one against 3rd stringers. Gilbert maybe? Although I haven't seen much of him in the preseason games.

I will say that Merriman looked pretty bad in that last preseason game, so whoever it is probably won't be much of a drop off. They will be cheaper, and might even have more upside.

Edited by Turbosrrgood