Anybody familiar with Puerto Rico?

Simon

Heading down that way and was wondering if any of y'all lived there or had spent time there as I've never been. I'll be on the SW corner of the island for several days and then on the NE part of the island for a few more.

Looking for out of the way beaches, cool coastal towns with good bars/music, snorkeling spots, nice hikes in the mountains, unique places for a beer/burger, and of course crowded places to avoid.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Heading down that way and was wondering if any of y'all lived there or had spent time there as I've never been. I'll be on the SW corner of the island for several days and then on the NE part of the island for a few more.

Looking for out of the way beaches, cool coastal towns with good bars/music, snorkeling spots, nice hikes in the mountains, unique places for a beer/burger, and of course crowded places to avoid.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have been twice on work incentive trips, and have spent majority of the time right at the resorts..I know boring.

I know Bourdain did a No Reservations there a long time ago...you can prolly find that on the interweb somewhere as start.

Was there for a few hours on a cruise. There are two old forts. I went to the smaller of the two called ? San Cristobal which was fun. Old town where our ship docked has lots of squares and shops to stroll around and see. There is a poster here that has a picture of a fort guard tower (and I think I saw at San Cristobal) as his avatar and I believe lives in San Juan. Maybe he'll have some tips. Have a good time!

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

El Yunque Rain Forest on the East side of the island: http://www.fs.usda.gov/elyunque/

As for snorkeling, Frommer's says:

Fajardo: On the eastern coast of Puerto Rico, the clear waters along the beachfront are the best on mainland Puerto Rico for snorkeling. The best beaches here for snorkeling are walking distance from the Seven Seas public beach: Playa Escondido and Playa Convento. The snorkeling at Las Cabezas de San Juan nature refuge is also spectacular.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/puertorico/0094020831.html#ixzz22J06b1WD

I periodically worked in the SE part of PR but I would stay in Ponce (south center) part of the island rather than San Juan. I always enjoyed the laid-back, non-tourist feel of Ponce. If you are nearby and can stop, check out Plaza Las Delicias which is the center square of Ponce. Some nearby great beaches, too.

I've been there a bunch of times but just for layovers to other islands. It's just too ig and with too many people. Try St John or Tortola next time. You'll be very glad you did.

I hate cities so I'll be in San Juan for about 5 minutes before heading out to the underpopulated parts of the island.

Fajardo: On the eastern coast of Puerto Rico

We're staying near there for the second half of the trip and already have plans to go kayaking late one night out on the bioluminescent bay. I'll definitely look into the snorkeling around there as well.

Thanks, mac!

I periodically worked in the SE part of PR but I would stay in Ponce (south center) part of the island rather than San Juan. I always enjoyed the laid-back, non-tourist feel of Ponce. If you are nearby and can stop, check out Plaza Las Delicias which is the center square of Ponce. Some nearby great beaches, too.

I'll be about 15 miles WSW of Ponce for the first 4 days we're there. Very happy to hear that it's laid back with minimal tourists as that's what we were looking for. Thanks for the good news!

I hate cities so I'll be in San Juan for about 5 minutes before heading out to the underpopulated parts of the island.

That's about 4 1/2 minutes too long. We had an overnight layover in SJ due to weather and they put us up in the hotel in the airport. Awful.