where's the buzz?

London's opening ceremonies for the olympics featured an homage to the National Health Service...you know, the socialized medicine system that ya'll so regularly claim that the brits hate? Seems they're rather proud of it. why all the silence? i've seen almost no mention in the u.s. press save the christian science monitor. did everyone miss that prominent part with mary poppins cleaning up all those nasty bugs?

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe cuz they leave so many folks out in the cold? just a guess...

I said Medicare and Medicaid. You know, the socialized medical insurance programs the US already has. They cover everyone eligible for them.

London's opening ceremonies for the olympics featured an homage to the National Health Service...you know, the socialized medicine system that ya'll so regularly claim that the brits hate? Seems they're rather proud of it.

This a rather obvious over-generalization.

As opposed to your characterization that the Brits are proud of NHS, the show was certainly more a demonstration of what Danny Boyle believes in.

The show had many critics, on many different types of sites.

Thus, there was no great response here, because it just didn't rise to any particular level of importance,

but if you want to use that brief part of the show as something more significant, go right ahead.

I said Medicare and Medicaid. You know, the socialized medical insurance programs the US already has. They cover everyone eligible for them.

if you can't tell the difference between those programs and universal health care then i understand why it's so damn difficult for you to see reason.

London's opening ceremonies for the olympics featured an homage to the National Health Service...you know, the socialized medicine system that ya'll so regularly claim that the brits hate? Seems they're rather proud of it. why all the silence? i've seen almost no mention in the u.s. press save the christian science monitor. did everyone miss that prominent part with mary poppins cleaning up all those nasty bugs?

They also celebrated the industrial revolution. You know massive pollution, child labor and the concentration of wealth to a handful. How do we read that?

They also celebrated the industrial revolution. You know massive pollution, child labor and the concentration of wealth to a handful. How do we read that?

kind of amazing that both can coexist so harmoniously, isn't it?

Edited by birdog1960

if you can't tell the difference between those programs and universal health care then i understand why it's so damn difficult for you to see reason.

Oh, the irony! You really have no clue, do you?

Oh, the irony! You really have no clue, do you?

wha...? they do good...plenty of good. just not enough. if ya'll didn't see that homage as a poke in the eye to the us healthcare system then you're as blind as the others who got poked. and i'm guessing that b-man surmises that danny boyle had unbridled authority to act as global spokesman for his country?

He's trying to prove that socialized medicine is good because it was part of the Olympics.

no i'm refuting the contention that brits, in general, see the national health service as lesser than the us system.

Edited by birdog1960

wha...? they do good...plenty of good. just not enough. if ya'll didn't see that homage as a poke in the eye to the us healthcare system then you're as blind as the others who got poked. and i'm guessing that b-man surmises that danny boyle had unbridled authority to act as global spokesman for his country?

So the NHS homage was a poke at the US...after they passed Obamacare? That Danny Boyle's a sharp chap, eh?

As for Medicare and Medicaid, they'll be insolvent in 7 years, if not sooner. How long until this new entitlement becomes insolvent?

So the NHS homage was a poke at the US...after they passed Obamacare? That Danny Boyle's a sharp chap, eh?

As for Medicare and Medicaid, they'll be insolvent in 7 years, if not sooner. How long until this new entitlement becomes insolvent?

think i saw mitt in the audience...and he's pledging to repeal it. isn't he?

no i'm refuting the contention that brits, in general, see the national health service as lesser than the us system.

I don't recall having a vote in any US opening ceremony. Did the British? Are opening ceremony's a accurate gauge of national opinion?

I don't recall having a vote in any US opening ceremony. Did the British? Are opening ceremony's a accurate gauge of national opinion?

you win. just a silly meaningless gesture orchestrated by a single outlier on a world stage. yep, that's it.

you win. just a silly meaningless gesture orchestrated by a single outlier on a world stage. yep, that's it.

your commutation skills are very poor, or you are dodging my question. Do opening ceremony's reflect the majority opinion of the people of the country the games are in? Yes or no.

birdog's point is some countries are proud of their system whether it would be ideal for us or not. Regardless of who you are you are a fool if you were proud of the old system and if you will be proud of the new one. I don't think the gov't needs to own most hospitals like in the UK, but a public payer is ideal either way. These are basically facts that cannot be argued against credibly.