Bills Receivers impressed by rookie CB Gilmore (jw)

It's not cheating when you're good, it's good technique. Cheating is when players do it to make up for mistakes. When you are a big, physical CB, and cover that way, they let you do it. THIS is exactly what we need, and exactly what makes Gilmore a top pick.

I saw what you saw on Thursday, but my impression was "We finally have a top notch CB who isnt afraid to jam WRs and knock them around".

I'm not worried about it, and am pretty sure people will be talking about how great of a coverage guy he is soon enough.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

Bingo. There's a fine line and the good ones walk the edge of it. The point you make of it being to make up for a mistake vs just being tight on the guy and physically bigger/stronger is one that I think posters may come to learn in the next few years. The rules dont really draw that line but the men calling it certainly give a little more to a guy playing physical than they do to a corner just trying to hold on for dear life. Other than Clements, it's been awhile since we've had a corner that can physically overmatch his guy, and a scheme that will allow it. I was initially worried about this kid back in jan/feb but the more I hear the more I like.

Besides Revis, Charles Woodson and Ty Law are recent examples of "hands-on" cover men that are/were very successful.

One odd thing that happens with these defenders is that they do it on virtually every play to the point where it seems that the officials get "enforcement fatigue" and only call them once a game if that… and they end up getting away with it on the vast majority of pass plays.

As a rookie he will take his lumps but as he becomes a respected player in the league, more and more refs will turn a mostly blind eye to his "techniques."

Bingo. There's a fine line and the good ones walk the edge of it. The point you make of it being to make up for a mistake vs just being tight on the guy and physically bigger/stronger is one that I think posters may come to learn in the next few years. The rules dont really draw that line but the men calling it certainly give a little more to a guy playing physical than they do to a corner just trying to hold on for dear life. Other than Clements, it's been awhile since we've had a corner that can physically overmatch his guy, and a scheme that will allow it. I was initially worried about this kid back in jan/feb but the more I hear the more I like.

Yes! Exactly what I was trying to say. Cant wait to see this guy play :thumbsup:

Besides Revis, Charles Woodson and Ty Law are recent examples of "hands-on" cover men that are/were very successful.

One odd thing that happens with these defenders is that they do it on virtually every play to the point where it seems that the officials get "enforcement fatigue" and only call them once a game if that… and they end up getting away with it on the vast majority of pass plays.

As a rookie he will take his lumps but as he becomes a respected player in the league, more and more refs will turn a mostly blind eye to his "techniques."

Good post/insight San Jose Bills Fan :thumbsup:

Or, Stephon can learn how to cheat like Revis and grab the receiver when the refs are not looking...

The way to be like Revis is to grope and tug the receivers in full view of the officials and still not have it called. He's not even really that sneaky about it, they just refuse to call penalties on him.

The way to be like Revis is to grope and tug the receivers in full view of the officials and still not have it called. He's not even really that sneaky about it, they just refuse to call penalties on him.

That's his Jedi mind trick... He pulls and tugs so blatantly that the refs are like, " nah, I know he didn't just hold him and tug him like that the whole way downfield, I can't call a penalty cuz he couldn't have done that right in front of my face"...

I was at practice Thursday and Saturday, and while Gilmore looks very good, he also looks like he needs to learn the rules about illegal contact and pass interference in the NFL.

Glad we got the guy, but I agree with this. He's no good to us if he draws 15 yard flags on every other down. -Wish he'd catch the ball in the air more often that just breaking it up too.

Incidentally, is anyone out there Byrd watching??? -Whats ole Jairus been up to?

Edited by #34fan

Gilmore told me he has one speed whether it's in practice or in games.

i am curious to see how far officials will let a rookie go, because Gilmore has shown he's not afraid of contact or using his hands in holding up receivers coming off the line.

he had to be reminded by coaches about bringing players to the ground during the first-two non-contact sessions. then again, i think it might be easier to reign in a player than to ask him to ramp it up. one thing's for sure, he has been impressive. can't seem to remember how Nate Clements did in his first rookie camp, but i'll say that Gilmore has been one of the more impressive, mature and complete rookies the Bills have had in camp for quite some time.

jw

Thanks for the observations, John. I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part. Seems like Gilmore might be the kind of DB who can get in a WR's head.

My children have learned how to exploit the "enforcement fatigue" technique around my house with alarming proficiency. When i take them to training camp I'll have them draw it up to Gilmore......

That's his Jedi mind trick... He pulls and tugs so blatantly that the refs are like, " nah, I know he didn't just hold him and tug him like that the whole way downfield, I can't call a penalty cuz he couldn't have done that right in front of my face"...

I'm just picturing Ed Hochuli after being mind tricked standing there dumbfounded going "These aren't the penalties we're looking for, move along."

My children have learned how to exploit the "enforcement fatigue" technique around my house with alarming proficiency. When i take them to training camp I'll have them draw it up to Gilmore......

That will just reinforce the behaviour Webster! Dont ever forget kids are much smarter then us parents. They know it and the sooner we admit it to ourselves the better off we will be.

Gilmore probably has more tricks to teach your kids too. Tread lightly sir.

S.Gilmore mentioned again about being physical in regards to practicing. He said something else that stood out to me.

Talking about Stevie "sometimes you just gotta give him the underneath stuff and take away the deep play." roughly translated.

Damn Smart Kids.

Ya gotta love 'em!

Edited by 3rdand12

I like how Buddy makes the Bills fans look bad (myself included) by choosing a pick many of us didn't want and having it turn out awesome. The previous regime made us look like the smartest person in the room (drafting Whitner instead of Ngata and Orakpo vs. Maybin), and now we're the dumbest person in the room...which is a welcome change.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!