Met Dean Cain today...

MikeG

I met Dean Cain today and went wearing a Bills hat and shirt. He loved it! when he saw me in line, he yelled "A Bills Fan!! GREAT to see you!!!" Then when I got up to him he was super excited to talk to me and we talked for over 5 minutes(he was spending maybe 30 seconds with most), mostly about the Bills. He was awesome! We talked about when he toured the Ralph last year with his son and how great the organization still treats him. We talked draft picks, last year's season and this upcoming year... he said depending on his TV show shooting schedule he plans on getting to a game or two this year... he tries to get to at least one game a year if he can. He is still really grateful and loyal to the Bills for signing him back in '88. His "handler" was hurrying him along but Dean didn't blink, just kept talking to me and even gave me a hug after... I'm guessing he was glad to talk to someone about something other than Superman. He mentioned some other guys in the league that he is still friends with and close with... was pretty cool. I've always liked him but this just made it better... LET'S GO BUFFALO!

post-3895-044149300 1343528467_thumb.jpg

If memory serves, he was a late draft pick of theirs as a safety out of Princeton.

He was definitely from Princeton because he took Brooke Shields' virginity.

That is a great story. Glad he's not bitter that he got cut.

I remember at least one episode of Lois & Clark he had a Bills mug on his desk.

Apparently it was a Bills hat, not a mug: http://www.eeggs.com/items/16062.html

The mug was in NYPD Blue - co-creator David Milch is a Buffalo native and IIRC he made one of the later characters (John Clark or Danny Sorenson) a Bills fan.

If memory serves, he was a late draft pick of theirs as a safety out of Princeton.

The Bills signed him as a free agent the day after the '88 draft... then he blew his knee out big time in either mini-camp or training camp, not sure which and never played anywhere again.

The Bills signed him as a free agent the day after the '88 draft... then he blew his knee out big time in either mini-camp or training camp, not sure which and never played anywhere again.

It was a recurrence of an old injury.

Apparently it was a Bills hat, not a mug: http://www.eeggs.com/items/16062.html

The mug was in NYPD Blue - co-creator David Milch is a Buffalo native and IIRC he made one of the later characters (John Clark or Danny Sorenson) a Bills fan.

I think it was John Clark (whichever was played by the Saved By The Bell kid). Fun fact, do a Google search on NYPD Blue and Buffalo Bills. The first three links are all to threads here talking about Blue.

I think it was John Clark (whichever was played by the Saved By The Bell kid). Fun fact, do a Google search on NYPD Blue and Buffalo Bills. The first three links are all to threads here talking about Blue.

I watched every episode of NYPD Blue and I don't remember any Bills references. Read thru some of those threads in the google search. Glad to see a lot of posters here loved that show. I remember the last few years when I would say that's the only show I really watch, people would say "That's still on??" Like some of the posters said, it stayed really really good throughout. It may have had a small stretch where it wasn't so good, but then they'd get it right back on track. Sipowitz is one of the greatest TV characters of all time. Like we had mentioned Lou Grant last week.

I met Dean Cain today and went wearing a Bills hat and shirt. He loved it! when he saw me in line, he yelled "A Bills Fan!! GREAT to see you!!!" Then when I got up to him he was super excited to talk to me and we talked for over 5 minutes(he was spending maybe 30 seconds with most), mostly about the Bills. He was awesome! We talked about when he toured the Ralph last year with his son and how great the organization still treats him. We talked draft picks, last year's season and this upcoming year... he said depending on his TV show shooting schedule he plans on getting to a game or two this year... he tries to get to at least one game a year if he can. He is still really grateful and loyal to the Bills for signing him back in '88. His "handler" was hurrying him along but Dean didn't blink, just kept talking to me and even gave me a hug after... I'm guessing he was glad to talk to someone about something other than Superman. He mentioned some other guys in the league that he is still friends with and close with... was pretty cool. I've always liked him but this just made it better... LET'S GO BUFFALO!

post-3895-044149300 1343528467_thumb.jpg

Were those "other guys" the Garrett brothers? All of them were at Princeton (after a Columbia stint before their dad got canned) around that time....

Were those "other guys" the Garrett brothers? All of them were at Princeton (after a Columbia stint before their dad got canned) around that time....

yeah, he mentioned Jason Garrett, "his QB at Princeton"... and he also mentioned Ray Lewis and a couple guys on the Ravens because he said he got close with them when they all helped someone that was in the hospital in Baltimore. I can't remember exactly who he said it was that they reached out to and helped it was either his sister's friend's kid or some relative of his... anyway he said he'll always keep an eye on the Ravens because he still talks to them and is friends with them because of how grateful he was that they did that for the sick person. He didn't go into it, but it seemed like it was more than just a room visit... He also mentioned that someone with the Lions (maybe the GM) was his friend that he played with at some point or something like that... so he said he always cheers for Buffalo first, then it's Baltimore, Dallas and Detroit.

He also mentioned that someone with the Lions (maybe the GM) was his friend that he played with at some point or something like that... so he said he always cheers for Buffalo first, then it's Baltimore, Dallas and Detroit.

Cain and Lions GM Martin Mayhew were rookies together in Buffalo in 1988 so that makes sense.