Romney opens 5 point lead over Obama

Mitts whiteboard?? Is he trying to teach to students?

or is it the poor mans teleprompter

LONDON (Reuters) - Twice as many business executives around the world say the global economy will prosper better if incumbent U.S. president Barack Obama wins the next election than if his Republican challenger Mitt Romney does, a poll showed on Friday.

Democrat Obama was chosen by 42.7 percent in the 1,700 respondent poll, compared with 20.5 percent for Romney. The rest said "neither".

Obama maintains a seven-point lead over Romney among registered voters in the race for the November 6 presidential election, despite the fact Americans are increasingly pessimistic about the future, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted last week.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's got the best plan for bringing America's economy back from the doldrums? Well, according to more than 400 prominent economists—including five Nobel laureates—it's Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

The economy has been in the tank since before Barack Obama became president, as he cheerfully reminds everyone at every available opportunity. Under his leadership, however, things have gotten worse by almost every available measure.

Unemployment has exceeded 8 percent for 42 straight months, a post-war record. Somewhere between 3 and 4 million people have given up looking for work entirely, making the "real" unemployment number something close to 13 or 14 percent. The economy is barely growing. Middle-class incomes are down. The price of gasoline and the number of Americans living in poverty are both up.

Now Obama likes to say his economic plan is working--which is true if what it was supposed to produce was more unemployment, more poverty, higher gas and food prices, more people on food stamps, and more federal debt.

[see a collection of political cartoons on the 2012 campaign.]

Real economists, however, differ on what the objective of economic policy should be. The economists who signed on to the pro-Romney statement said, "We enthusiastically endorse Governor Mitt Romney's economic plan to create jobs and restore economic growth while returning America to its tradition of economic freedom."

Romney's plan, they said, "is based on proven principles: a more contained and less intrusive federal government, a greater reliance on the private sector, a broad expansion of opportunity without government favors for special interests, and respect for the rule of law including the decision-making authority of states and localities."

Among the positions they endorse:

Reduce marginal tax rates on business and wage incomes and broaden the tax base to increase investment, jobs, and living standards.

End the exploding federal debt by controlling the growth of spending so federal spending does not exceed 20 percent of the economy.

Restructure regulation to end "too big to fail," improve credit availability to entrepreneurs and small businesses, and increase regulatory accountability, and ensure that all regulations pass rigorous benefit-cost tests.

Improve our Social Security and Medicare programs by reducing their growth to sustainable levels, ensuring their viability over the long term, and protecting those in or near retirement.

Reform our healthcare system to harness market forces and thereby reduce costs and increase quality, empowering patients and doctors, rather than the federal bureaucracy.

Promote energy policies that increase domestic production, enlarge the use of all western hemisphere resources, encourage the use of new technologies, end wasteful subsidies, and rely more on market forces and less on government planners.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-roff/2012/08/16/nobel-economists-back-mitt-romneys-plan

Mitts whiteboard?? Is he trying to teach to students?

or is it the poor mans teleprompter

LONDON (Reuters) - Twice as many business executives around the world say the global economy will prosper better if incumbent U.S. president Barack Obama wins the next election than if his Republican challenger Mitt Romney does, a poll showed on Friday.

Democrat Obama was chosen by 42.7 percent in the 1,700 respondent poll, compared with 20.5 percent for Romney. The rest said "neither".

Obama maintains a seven-point lead over Romney among registered voters in the race for the November 6 presidential election, despite the fact Americans are increasingly pessimistic about the future, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted last week.

In that same poll, you omitted this"The result was different among respondents in the United States, where a slim majority thought Romney would be better for their businesses than Obama.":doh:

I'll put it the way you guys like it/

http://static2.busin...in-response.jpg

WAAAAAIIIITTT a minute. They're trying to color the Obamacare Medicare cuts as "savings?"

But it was just 2009 when Obama confirmed to Jake Tapper, without questions, that they were cuts. Did he evolve? Was he for the cuts before he was against the savings? Were the savings supposed to come from that day when he kept his promise and successfully cut the deficit in half?

We're confused. WHICH OBAMA are we talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Ha7RNpn24

WAAAAAIIIITTT a minute. They're trying to color the Obamacare Medicare cuts as "savings?"

But it was just 2009 when Obama confirmed to Jake Tapper, without questions, that they were cuts. Did he evolve? Was he for the cuts before he was against the savings? Were the savings supposed to come from that day when he kept his promise and successfully cut the deficit in half?

We're confused. WHICH OBAMA are we talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Ha7RNpn24

Weird. Obama didn't say the word "cuts" one time in your video. He does say "savings" though.

The $700+ Billion did not target benefits for seniors anyways. Another falsehood. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/15/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-said-barack-obama-first-history-rob-me/

I just heard Obama's campaign extended an olive branch and offered to stop accusing Romney of not releasing his tax returns if he releases the last five years of his tax returns.

When they got through rolling around on the floor laughing, the Romney campaign responded by asking: are you scared to talk about the issues, tough guy?

Why debate the issues, when we can endlessly demogauge. It has gotten worse with the super pacs. The tax stuff has made me sick, as has the stuff about Romney killing that woman- and I do have the deepest sympathies for their family, having seen too many people die from cancer.

According to the Medicare actuary:

cuts to provider payments will cause 15 percent of Medicare Part A providers to become unprofitable within the next 10 years, according to the Medicare Actuary. He explains, “Over time, a sustained reduction in payment updates, based on productivity expectations that are difficult to attain, would cause Medicare payment rates to grow more slowly than, and in a way that was unrelated to, the providers’ cost of furnishing services to beneficiaries.” As Medicare providers begin to operate at a loss, they will be unable to stay afloat, leaving seniors with less access to care.

Richard Foster, has explained that the ACA Medicare cuts could make unprofitable 15 percent of hospitals serving Medicare patients. “It is doubtful that many [hospitals and other health care providers] will be able to improve their own productivity to the degree” necessary to accommodate the cuts, Foster has written. “Thus, providers for whom Medicare constitutes a substantial portion of their business could find it difficult to remain profitable, and, absent legislative intervention, might end their participation in the program (possibly jeopardizing care for beneficiaries. [Our] simulations…suggest that roughly 15 percent of [hospitalization] providers would become unprofitable within the 10-year projection as a result of the [spending cuts].”

http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fostertestimony1262011.pdf

Weird. Obama didn't say the word "cuts" one time in your video. He does say "savings" though.

The $700+ Billion did not target benefits for seniors anyways. Another falsehood. http://www.politifac...history-rob-me/

Its a matter of semantics. What it does is cut payments to Medical Providers. What do you think those providers will do? Eat the cost? Or give less care as a result of less payment? Obviously it leads to a rationing of care. Hence IPAB

Man, I am stunned at how fast ads get released now...this one is from an interview he did this morning on a local radio station in NM, and it's pretty damn good at showing us what we elected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGXKD91Gtk&feature=youtu.be

I don't know... Isn't this just pretty damn good at showing us that pop radio station jocks are just nitwits?

Honestly. You get to ask questions of the POTUS and you want to know what color he prefers, red or green?

Why debate the issues, when we can endlessly demogauge. It has gotten worse with the super pacs. The tax stuff has made me sick, as has the stuff about Romney killing that woman- and I do have the deepest sympathies for their family, having seen too many people die from cancer.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for her husband. He's about as low as they come.

The $700+ Billion did not target benefits for seniors anyways. Another falsehood. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/15/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-said-barack-obama-first-history-rob-me/

If you're cool with being taken for a fool & just going with it because it feels good then I don't know what to tell you.

The White house press corps is fuming over the Obama administrations insistence of Obama not giving personal press briefings. It's been months.

What makes them really upset is that he is only doing puff interviews with Peoples magazine and interviews with radio stations like this. Their calculation from what I've read is that he is popular in light hearted settings, and that they are wary of him answering tough questions.

The White house press corps is fuming over the Obama administrations insistence of Obama not giving personal press briefings. It's been months.

Maybe they're waiting for him to be in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier before they start yelling at him.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for her husband. He's about as low as they come.

If you're cool with being taken for a fool & just going with it because it feels good then I don't know what to tell you.

While I don't agree with what he is doing, I definitely feel for him, as far as losing his wife to cancer.

From Today's White House Briefings:

Separately, Earnest was asked when Obama might take questions from reporters at an official White House press conference. Obama hasn't fielded a question from a White House reporter at an official press conference in two months.

Earnest said he didn't have any scheduling announcements, but argued that Obama has “spent a lot of time answering questions from reporters all over the country” including a “wide range of outlets.”

Obama has done a series of interviews lately. But reporters complain that he has fielded softball questions from the likes of People Magazine and Entertainment Tonight.