Buffalo News rant (again)

Murph...

On the subject of team-employed media and their ability to be objective, there's a Bay Area Giants guy named Marty Lurie who works for the Giants' flagship station, KNBR radio,

He is often critical of the team but in a non-incendiary, matter-of-fact, objective, and fair manner.

He has the respect of management (both station and baseball club), listeners, and other media members.

In other words, it is possible to be objective as a reporter of a team which indirectly employs you. You just have to have "the game" to pull it off… and maybe some fair-minded employers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough, but in the big picture i'd be careful what you wish for because with the changing media landscape in Buffalo and the recent deals struck, i wonder if there's at least one fewer objective voice capable of viewing the Bills with a truly critical eye.

jw

You can be critical without being an **** all the time. I like Bucky though.

You can be critical without being an **** all the time. I like Bucky though.

I don't think he's a very good writer, whereas I think Sully really is talented. I often read a Bucky article and have more questions. He says something and then leaves it hanging.

I don't think he's a very good writer, whereas I think Sully really is talented. I often read a Bucky article and have more questions. He says something and then leaves it hanging.

That's because he writes himself into a corner in every contrived piece of crap he puts out and doesn't have a way to finish it. Sullivan has writing skills, he's just a dbag. Bucky is not only a moron, but a terrible writer.

Ehh, He's been beating that drum about us not keeping the Bills for a while now. He doesn't like the idea of tax dollars going to anything other than preserving 100 year old eyesores. Esmonde sucks up to Buffalo's chief obstructionist Tim Tielman. Most of the time his civic opinions aren't worth a whole lot. Every few months it seems he has some woe is is article about how we're doomed to lose the Bills and we should give it up and go to preservation conferences and art shows instead. Esmonde's take on the matter, and the opinion of quote "the guy the county should haves hired to negotiate the lease" don't carry a lot of weight to me.

Esmonde can be kind of pompous with the whole preservation thing but he brings up a lot of good points about the lease and the Bills.

I don't understand why the Bils media including Wowrow of the AP haven't tried to contact Ralph Wilson so the community gets some some of his condition and his plan for the team.

Esmonde can be kind of pompous with the whole preservation thing but he brings up a lot of good points about the lease and the Bills.

I don't understand why the Bils media including Wowrow of the AP haven't tried to contact Ralph Wilson so the community gets some some of his condition and his plan for the team.

I think Ralph's medical condition is a private matter. As for the lease it's never going to be perfect for either side. That's the idea behind negotiation. 10-15 year lease with a sliding buyout scale. Just gotta hope any new owner wants to stay in Buffalo.

PTR

I think Ralph's medical condition is a private matter. As for the lease it's never going to be perfect for either side. That's the idea behind negotiation. 10-15 year lease with a sliding buyout scale. Just gotta hope any new owner wants to stay in Buffalo.

PTR

PTR

His condition becomes a public matter when he asks for public asistance: taxpayer $'s. Hopefully the next owner will want to stay in Buffalo but given the Cleveland Browns sale price that is going to be very difficult.

His condition becomes a public matter when he asks for public asistance: taxpayer $'s. Hopefully the next owner will want to stay in Buffalo but given the Cleveland Browns sale price that is going to be very difficult.

Actually unless Ralph releases his medical information or signs a release allowing it, then it is a private matter. And if it were released against his wishes, he could probably pursue the matter in court. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer but there is that whole thing about patient confidentiality.

Edited by biglukes

In other words, it is possible to be objective as a reporter of a team which indirectly employs you. You just have to have "the game" to pull it off… and maybe some fair-minded employers.

And I think Murph's in the same boat (despite allusions otherwise). He's got enough "game" to be critical (when necessary) without throwing bombs or pushing people under the bus.

In other words, he's a lot more talented than the columnists at the Snooze...

I think the Olympics are just a tad more important than training camp at the moment. So stop your cryin.

I disagree with the original poster's complaint, but I also disagree that the commercialized gathering of people that has replaced the Olympics is more important.

Actually unless Ralph releases his medical information or signs a release allowing it, then it is a private matter. And if it were released against his wishes, he could probably pursue the matter in court. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer but there is that whole thing about patient confidentiality.

They don't have to ask for medical exams just a quote about the lease, have his succession plans changed etc. I think there's beena single two sentence quote from Wilson in the past year. Again because he's asking for $200 million ++ from the tax payers he can't leave everyone in the dark and thats where the media has to do their job and it least attempt to contact him.

One Billion people watched the opening ceremony's. Like it or not it is bigger than Bills training camp.

Millions of people like to shove things up their rears every days which also makes that bigger than training camp.

They don't have to ask for medical exams just a quote about the lease, have his succession plans changed etc. I think there's beena single two sentence quote from Wilson in the past year. Again because he's asking for $200 million ++ from the tax payers he can't leave everyone in the dark and thats where the media has to do their job and it least attempt to contact him.

Do you have some sort of perverse interest in polyps or is Ralph's age not enough information for you? Geez dude take a look at the actuality tables.