Can Fitzpatrick be an upper echelon QB?

This is the question that will determine the bills success in 2012. I'm surprised it isn't # 1.

We've heard nothing but good news as far as Fitz changing his mechanics and working with coach Lee. The fact that he was injured in the second half last year makes it a little easier to swallow last years collapse. But the fact is, he's still Fitz. He's a journeyman QB who is now being asked to make the playoffs and bring this team to the promised land. Can Fitz be that guy? I'm not sure...

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can he be? Sure.

Will he be? I'm not so sure... we still don't have enough quality offensive talent to make that determination based upon his past record, and if he was an upper echelon QB now he would elevate the play of his teammates. I doubt Fitz is capable of doing this if his accuracy problems and nagging injury problems continue.

Edited by BmoreBills

I highly doubt it. He really doesn't scare anyone

You know, that's an interesting comment. I'd say that at least during the 2nd half of last season, teams weren't scared of the Bills' offense, period. They saw a team that lost its best RB, C, LT, and didn't have a WR capable of complementing Stevie.

I think Fitz showed during the 1st half of the season that when healthy, and with a full complement of his starting mates on offense, he could pick apart a defense. That kind of stuff keeps defensive coordinators up at night.

More important is does he have to be?

I do worry it may take 2 or 3 games for him to find his new rhythm and mechanics syncing.

I personally think he does have to be. As much hype as there is about our defense, they haven't proven anything on the field. I find it hard to assume they're going to be a top 5 overall defense right off the bat. Our offense has some good pieces but we really are still missing a solid LT (expect glenn to struggle in spots as a rookie) and a #2 WR. Fitz is going to have to play like a top 5 QB at some point if this team is going to win a SB.

Have no doubt Fitz working in a team oriented system be a effective quarterback. Eli Manning a most excellent example of how player playing within his means and system can be excellent. What is the difference maker will be can Fitz as Manning has done, come up big more often than not at significant moments in games, the big play. Its a team game , but at times individuals have to step up and be difference makers. School is out, at present, no doubt with Fitz running system they can be a mediocre team, the proof in the pudding will be if the light goes on, in the big moments. Winning teams do more often than not, scuffling middle of the pack so close yet so far don't. imo:)

Have no doubt Fitz working in a team oriented system be a effective quarterback. Eli Manning a most excellent example of how player playing within his means and system can be excellent. What is the difference maker will be can Fitz as Manning has done, come up big more often than not at significant moments in games, the big play. Its a team game , but at times individuals have to step up and be difference makers. School is out, at present, no doubt with Fitz running system they can be a mediocre team, the proof in the pudding will be if the light goes on, in the big moments. Winning teams do more often than not, scuffling middle of the pack so close yet so far don't. imo:)

I think its unfair to Eli to compare Fitz to him.. Fitz was drafted 1 year after him and has accomplished nothing compared to the giant QB.

I think its unfair to Eli to compare Fitz to him.. Fitz was drafted 1 year after him and has accomplished nothing compared to the giant QB.

He got Trent off the team which is a pretty big accomplishment for the team.

my illustration was to say Fitz need rise to Eli's level not to bring down Eli to Fitz's......

my illustration was to say Fitz need rise to Eli's level not to bring down Eli to Fitz's......

Well I guess my issue was with how you painted Eli as a QB playing within his means and system. I think Eli has proven that he is a top echelon QB. He isn't a system QB who only wins because he hands the ball off, makes safe throws and lets the defense keep them in games. Eli is one of the most mentally and physically gifted QBs in the league.. I'm not sure you can say the same about Fitz.

Maybe for one season he could get hot and be considered upper echelon. Kind of like Tommy Maddox's one good year or Kordell Stewarts one year.

I don't see it, his history shows he's just not good enough. Too many Int's when it matters

Best case scenario is he balls out like Mark Rypien or any of these other hot for a season or two qb's. Fitz gets no love from me til I see that playoff berth

Well I guess my issue was with how you painted Eli as a QB playing within his means and system. I think Eli has proven that he is a top echelon QB. He isn't a system QB who only wins because he hands the ball off, makes safe throws and lets the defense keep them in games. Eli is one of the most mentally and physically gifted QBs in the league.. I'm not sure you can say the same about Fitz.

that fine you carry on.... my statement not a complex one not meant to be more than the face of it... as i said school is out..:)

Nope!

Funny answer with some one who has maybe the most over rated QB in history as their avatar.

As for my answer to the question, yes. All of the injuries including Fitz's broken ribs happened around the same time, and it was a clear drop off. IF most every one stays healthy, there is no indication to say he cannot be a QB in the 6-12 range which isn't really the top echelon, but still is upper.

It helps when you have receivers such as Burress, Hicks, Manningham and Cruz... Fitz has enjoyed no such advantage.

that fine you carry on.... my statement not a complex one not meant to be more than the face of it... as i said school is out..:)

Haha sorry.. its so easy to nitpick in the offseason

It helps when you have receivers such as Burress, Hicks, Manningham and Cruz... Fitz has enjoyed no such advantage.

Well that brings up the argument.. did those receivers make Eli, or did Eli make those receivers?

It's easy to look at the success of the team last year and assume it was all on Fitzpatrick. The fact of the matter is that it simply wasn't. The defense was absolutely horrendous, particularly on third and long. They simply couldn't stop anyone. This leaves the play calling coming from the sidelines to be aggressive to stay in games, and the resultant turnovers. Let's look at some facts here:

Fitzpatrick was the worst starter in the NFL in INT's, and the 5th worst starter in the NFL in INT percentage per pass attempt. If these turnovers are a result of poor mechanics and he gets them under control, then you can look at all the other metrics that support the notion that he could be in that upper echelon of quarterbacks. I would further define "upper echelon" as top-8. Here's why:

Despite being injured from essentially game 6 on, here's where he ended the season among starters:

TD's - 10th

Passing Yards - 11th

Completion % - 9th

Sacks - 1st

The real question that people aren't asking is an important one though. If we assume that the defense is vastly improved from last year, will the Bills still be running that same type of aggressive offense that they ran last year? While we won't know until that very first game against the Jets, I would say that I don't think so. If the Bills can get up on their opponents by 7-10 points, I think you'll see a lot more ball control offense with Jackson and Spiller and a lot more short to intermediate pass routes. At the end of the day, I would say we've seen improvement in 3 straight years from him and I have no reason to believe that Lee won't help him to improve further. The only question is by how much.