Pick the Wide Outs Who Will be cut

Opening Day 53  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which receivers will be cut before the season starts?

• Kamar Aikin
    • David Clowney
    • Marcus Easley
    • TJ Graham
    • Derek Hagan
    • Stevie Johnson
    • Donald Jones
    • Ruvell Martin
    • David Nelson
    • Naaman Roosevelt
    • Derek Session

PLEASE NOTE I created some confusion by the title of this thread but the first few responders correctly noted that we are selecting players in the poll who will not make the team ... if you thought you were to vote for the players making the team then you should cancel your vote and vote again. Apologies for the confusion but I think it is clear enough now. :oops:

If you look at the depth chart today the top six are: Stevie, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Derek Hagan, and Naaman Roosevelt.

Only Session is eligible for the Practice Squad, which if he shows any ability I think he will be the one receiver to land there.

I could be mistaken but I believe Kamar Aiken is also PS eligible. He was UDFA in 2011 and only active 2 games as far as I can tell.

Naaman, for the other poster who asked, is not PS eligible.

PS rules make my head hurt.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 uncuttables imo

1. Steveie Johnson

2. David Nelson

3. TJ Graham

There is likely going to be 1 Special Teamer WR position.

Does anyone know if David Clowney was a special teamer?

Right now that person is

Ruvell Martin.

If someone else steps up and can play special teams, Marcus Easley, Naaman Rossevelt, and David Clowney I'm looking at you, you then can cut the brick handed Martin. If no one steps and can play ST then you're kind of stuck with Martin on the Roster.

That leaves

Two Spots for

Marcus Easley

Derek Hagan

Kamar Aiken

Donald Jones

David Clowney

Naaman Roosevelt

Derek Session

So lets just cull the PS eligible players:

Roosevelt (He might not be, I think he might have been active for too many games in 2011)

Session

Aiken

Now that leaves Two spots for

Derek Hagan

Donald Jones

Marcus Easley

David Clowney

(and Maybe Rossevelt I don't know his Practice Squad eligibility)

So that is going to be a huge battle in camp and pre season.

I don't believe Donald Jones has an advantage or is penciled in ahead of Easley or Hagan.

I don't know how the FA Clowney can make the team unless he somehow shines in camp and pre season.

Snaps in the 4th qtr of pre-season games are going to be meaningful for these guys.

They all can't stay on the roster.

I say

4. David Clowney (he makes a roster spot on Special Teams performance and Martin is cut)

5. Derek Hagan - The Rodney Dangerfield of Bills' WRs he is big strong, fast and has good hands I expect him to shine in camp and Pre-Season

6. Donald Jones - The ghost of Marcus Easley is exorcized from One Bills Drive

Edited by Why So Serious?

For the case that Roosevelt will make the team:

In the Tim Graham interview on another thread, it shows the statistics of the Bills top receivers. The list went Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Chandler, Spiller, and Roosevelt. Roosevelt is the 3rd best receiver on the team according to yardage, 269 on 16 receptions. That's pretty good and I think that should give him an edge over the rest.

I know there is a lot of love for Roosevelt here but he just is not good enough. Aiken can still go PS so that will probably be his fate. Possibly also Session. Martin is atough cut because of special teams ability, but I am expecting another player will step up to this role and leave him expendable. Tough break for Clowney but I think he is camp fodder.

Is the practice squad part of the 53 man roster?

No.

I am suprised to see Kamar Aiken get so many votes.....rumor has it that the bills are VERY high on that kid

I like Aiken too, but right now I do not see him beating anyone else out of a roster spot. Unless he really tears it up at camp and in the preseason, that the Bills can not risk letting him go.

I think that Easley will get every opportunity to make the active roster, and Hagan showed that he is a capable receiver. I also like Roosevelt but I don't think he will make it.

There will be some tough decisions when cut time rolls around.

Survivors:

S. Johnson

D. Nelson

D. Jones

T.J. Graham

M. Easley

D. Hagan

Casualties:

Aiken

Clowney

Martin (Drafting Ron Brooks/Bradham makes him expendable)

Roosevelt

Session to PS

I picked Clowney to stay instead of Hagan. Otherwise the same.

Didn't we keep 5 WRs (plus Brad Smith and a couple on PS) last year? Considering the 4 WR sets we run - and the talent we have at WR - it seems like we ought to keep 6 + Brad.

I picked Clowney to stay instead of Hagan. Otherwise the same.

you are dead wrong on this or exactly opposite.

But why do you think this to be true?

I would say Hagan is vying for a #2 on the oustide position and Clowney was late season desperation pickup. But he is fast.

This can be a good discussion Hondo.

Nelson is a lock and it seems Jones is too.and both are slot guys to me. Jones will see some boundary play but still.

But who will play the outside in a two wide set? If it's a pass play I think it's Hagan till Easley gets his feet under him and some NFL game exp. Dont forget Chan likes his receivers to be decent blockers too.

Sessions and Aiken to ps because we can keep them there and Roosevelt may be caught out this year.

ps

To Teen Insight, there quite a few rules about practice squad eleigibility that give even the veterans here headaches, but the PS is a place we can keep players to develop for up to two years. If we have an injuries we can activate a player from the practice squad/ Like we did with N.Roosevelt last year.

One thing i do not understand fully is when another team is allowed to sign one of our practice squad players. is it anytime and then we can match the offer and keep him?

its just too much detail for me and gets crazy.

So basically they are not part of the roster and they can still practice with the team. Very good way to find out if you want to keep your seventh and sixth round draft picks.

am i about right fellas??

Wouldn't be shocked to Easley on practice squad. My six is

SJ, Nelson, Graham, Hagan, Jones, Easley/Aiken/Rosevelt

Wouldn't be shocked to see Aiken and Easley make PS.

It's a toss up cause any one of those could have a break out camp.

you are dead wrong on this or exactly opposite.

But why do you think this to be true?

I would say Hagan is vying for a #2 on the oustide position and Clowney was late season desperation pickup. But he is fast.

This can be a good discussion Hondo.

Nelson is a lock and it seems Jones is too.and both are slot guys to me. Jones will see some boundary play but still.

But who will play the outside in a two wide set? If it's a pass play I think it's Hagan till Easley gets his feet under him and some NFL game exp. Dont forget Chan likes his receivers to be decent blockers too.

Sessions and Aiken to ps because we can keep them there and Roosevelt may be caught out this year.

ps

To Teen Insight, there quite a few rules about practice squad eleigibility that give even the veterans here headaches, but the PS is a place we can keep players to develop for up to two years. If we have an injuries we can activate a player from the practice squad/ Like we did with N.Roosevelt last year.

One thing i do not understand fully is when another team is allowed to sign one of our practice squad players. is it anytime and then we can match the offer and keep him?

its just too much detail for me and gets crazy.

So basically they are not part of the roster and they can still practice with the team. Very good way to find out if you want to keep your seventh and sixth round draft picks.

am i about right fellas??

My argument may not be overwhelmingly compelling but it goes something like this. When Nix/Gailey cut Lee Evans I wondered if they didn't value speedy outside guys either because of Chan's offensive scheme or Fitz's weakish arm or the fact the Bills QBs didn't have a lot of time to throw deep. I now think differently. We've drafted a couple speedy receivers in higher rounds over the last few drafts, clearly needing someone to stretch the defense. It seems to me Chan does indeed value outside speed and Clowney has it. As I recall, he runs the 40 in something like 4.3.

And btw, I think Hagan was the late season desperation pickup. We didn't sign Clowney until January to compete for a roster spot this season. Hagan won't beat out Jones for #2 but could be a competent back-up (nothing more or less). Clowney won't be a starter either but his elite speed will have situational value. I don't know Hagan very well but he seems to me just another guy. Clowney is a speedster and brings something special to the table.

Naaman has been cut each season of his two year NFL career. He was brought back to the practice squad each time and activated in each season. I thin Chan likes him due to his outstanding catching ability but he suffers from the reality where his body type isn't an ideal match to the type of routes he runs. Barring IR camp injuries to the top 6, I think he will get cut again but claimed this time by some other team and will make their roster. His hands are that good.