DirecTv vs. Viacom

The Avenger

Once again I've lost channels on my TV because the network owner (in this case, Viacom) and the carrier (DirecTv) are in a pissing match about rates. It's not unique to DirecTv, but I sure do hate being a consumer stuck in the middle.

Earlier this year DTV got into a fight with the company that owned the NBC and UPN affiliates in Boston and I was without those 2 networks for more than a week - my wife was not pleased because it impacted a bunch of her shows. This new Viacom issue will have the kids upset as they'll lose Nickelodeon and I'll miss out on Comedy Central. When we lose channels my wife always starts complaining that we should ditch DTV despite the fact that we are under contract and its still the only place to get Sunday Ticket.

I don't know who's wrong and who's right in the current dispute - I'm guessing both sides are cuplable. What I hate as a consumer is being a pawn in all of this when the two sides can't hammer out a deal in time to avoid this situation. It's not like suddenly both sides looked at the calendar and said, 'wow - looks like our deal expires tomorrow - better start working on a new contract' - they have time to work out a new deal but instead get into a pissing match that impacts us as customers. Considering what we all pay in satellite/cable rates I feel like we are owed a better effort by both sides to keep their fights from impacting us as consumers. I have enough stress in my life without having to come home at the end of the day to a wife and kids upset that they can't watch the shows they want, and for this I pay over $100 a month? Anybody else upset with this situation?

Fortunately for them they have a DVR full of ICarly, Victorious, Drake & Josh, and other drivel that they can enjoy for a while.

(COUGH) Motorcity (COUGH) Disney XD. (COUGH) Thursdays at 8:30.

/shamelessplug

:bag:

So Comedy Central is actually gone now? I'm at work so I can't turn on the TV and check but going to "The Guide" at DTV's website and channel 249 now says "Important News About Comedy Central". Yesterday the scroll said it was unlikely that we would lose channels.

Edited by Dante

Wow - now Viacom has pulled free episodes of a bunch of their shows from the Web and they had posted (but seem to have taken down) a picture of Spongebob with the caption "Who lives in a pinneapple under the sea? You don't know because you have DirecTv". They are also claiming DTV "dropped" the channels, which they did SO THEY DIDN'T GET SUED BY VIACOM.....

I'm not a fan of either company right now for allowing this to happen and making us suffer through their pissing contest, but this is really infantile behavior for a major corporation on the part of Viacom - they really seem insensitive to their viewers....

Wow - now Viacom has pulled free episodes of a bunch of their shows from the Web and they had posted (but seem to have taken down) a picture of Spongebob with the caption "Who lives in a pinneapple under the sea? You don't know because you have DirecTv". They are also claiming DTV "dropped" the channels, which they did SO THEY DIDN'T GET SUED BY VIACOM.....

I'm not a fan of either company right now for allowing this to happen and making us suffer through their pissing contest, but this is really infantile behavior for a major corporation on the part of Viacom - they really seem insensitive to their viewers....

I hope their advertisers start pulling out because their ads are not being seen by as many people.

I love DirecTV and tend to side with them. But this is complete BS and we lose out. Is there a way to get money back since we aren't getting channels we are paying for?

Bisc, I believe DTV is giving free channels out (encore?) but am not sure. That is just hearsay...

If it wasnt for sports, I would ditch the cable (in my case TW) and just stream what I want to watch. Its not just DTV, but all ofthem end up in a dispute and you lose channels or your rates go up or both. You only have a couple choices and they have the consumer by the family jewels and they know it.

The blackout is over. From DirecTV's Facebook page:

The Viacom channels back on DIRECTV. Thanks to your patience and support, today we entered into a new long-term agreement with Viacom to immediately return all the channels you had previously enjoyed.

The channels are already back! Plus as a result of our new deal you will soon enjoy the freedom to see all your favorite Viacom shows on tablets, handhelds, laptops and other media devices through our DIRECTV Everywhere platform.

Although Viacom had regrettably tried to deny you access to drive a more expensive deal, our focus was always about giving you the absolute best experience at the most reasonable cost.

We will have full details of the agreement online, but it includes long-term rights to provide Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Spike, CMT, TV Land and several others so Viacom cannot try to deny you access anytime again soon.