What is the BIGGEST camp battle? Surprise cuts?

Between Edwards and Johnson one will be cut. It is the money in the end. Two good pro's, one will survive. Toughest cut of camp IMO.

Between Troup and Carrington one will be cut.

McGee doesn't make the team if he is not 100%. If he is 100% but McKelvin shows something this summer, McGee gets the axe. Second toughest cut of camp.

This sounds pretty accurate to me.

I suspect that Johnson goes in with the edge over Edwards due to his experience in the 4-3.

Carrington has shown more than Troup to date and seems a better fit for this defensive style so I give him the initial edge.

I think McGee v McKelvin is a dead toss up although, as you point out, it's in McKelvin's hands- and he usually looks pretty good until the season starts. Plus a Buddy says, you always want the "arrow pointing up" and McGee is clearly on the downside of his career.

Also,

I don't see the WR2 as a battle so much as a hope that somebody can step up to be a decent starter.

You would think that Hairson and Glenn would be a battle but it sounds to me like the coach's have already decided who is going to win that one unless Glenn stinks it up.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Edwards and Johnson one will be cut. It is the money in the end. Two good pro's, one will survive. Toughest cut of camp IMO.

Between Troup and Carrington one will be cut.

McGee doesn't make the team if he is not 100%. If he is 100% but McKelvin shows something this summer, McGee gets the axe. Second toughest cut of camp.

I thought we were still well under the cap. Why are we thinking of cutting players purely for financial reasons?

I thought we were still well under the cap. Why are we thinking of cutting players purely for financial reasons?

VERY good point, Dork. The Bills are more than $7M under the cap. If you're deciding between two players who provide the SAME benefit on the field, then yes, you probably cut the more expensive guy if he also has less upside.

I predict Edwards will be our 3rd DT, behind only Dareus and Kyle. Johnson is most likely for the fourth. Carrington will be a "swing" player in that he can back up both DE and DT. Heard, Troup and Gilbert don't make it.

+1

I think too much merit is given to player's draft position and their current standing. If Troup were a 7th rounder or FA, rather than a 2nd round choice, how many of you predict he would stay on the roster in 2012.

He's a bust, pure and simple. The defenses answer to James Hardy.

+1

VERY good point, Dork. The Bills are more than $7M under the cap. If you're deciding between two players who provide the SAME benefit on the field, then yes, you probably cut the more expensive guy if he also has less upside.

I agree also Dork. I feel for the first time that it's not as big an influence as it appears to have been in the past.

Eball, I think that by upside you mean longer term upside, not just the potential for one year upside. I think that the chance that a veteran may last an extra year over another, for example doesn't mean as much as play NOW. But similar performance by a youngster with upside and longer term play will carry more value over the expensive guy.

• 1 month later...