Who is the most indispesable player on defense ?

HOUSE

I would go with Kyle Williams. To me, he's the cog in the wheel that doesn't allow opposing teams to be able to effectively double other guys. While Dareus was the sack leader last year, 5.5 sacks isn't a lot. He was double teamed quite a bit with Kyle out last year. Anderson has wheels, but opposing teams won't double team him hardly at all. On Mario, I think we'll see a lot of running back and tight end chips helping out the right tackle. I think eventually Dareus will become the most important player on this defense and he'll be better than Kyle Williams even is. Regardless of the arguments, if the front four can stay healthy, we're going to have fun watching them play this year, and hopefully keeping Tom Brady on his butt for most games.

The most indispensable player on any defense is that defense's best player. I don't want to confuse key positions with best players. While Shephard is certainly a key position, there is no way he is our best player. Same goes for Wilson. I honestly can't say who our best defensive player is right now. I'd have to toss a coin among MW, KW, and MD. But if Merriman is healthy, he's in the mix as well.

Nice problem to have.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't stress this enough: ALL of our guys on the defensive line need to be conditioned, healthy, and ready for the '12-'13 season Every last one. Our entire secondary has to be ready to go as well. I don't think we can spare anybody if this team is going to go anywhere near the post-season this year. I'm hoping this defense can offset Gailey's bad playcalling, and Fitzpatrick's shortcomings. If our players live up to billing, they can really give us a boost in big games.

Edited by #34fan

I would have to go with Kyle Williams, if only because we saw what happened last year when he wasn't 100% or injured.

I can agree with Kyle but not for the reasons you stated. Since we are switching to a 4-3, missing a DT isn't as bad as missing your starting NT in a 3-4. But he and Marcell should be able to keep the inside locked down.

We haven't seen Mario Williams or Mark Anderson on this team, in this defense yet. We have seen Kyle Williams play though, so I'm going with him. But really, we have a bunch of pieces, that if they start going down one by one, we'll be in big trouble. See the last.... oh, I don't know... 13 years.

I think most of the replies here are missing the point of the article. The questions posed is not who is the best player on defense but the most indispensable. And Brown picks Wilson because he has the least depth behind him and hence it is critical that he plays well and without injury.

I hear that, & I sure wouldn't want to lose Wilson for any stretch. But I would feel a lot better having Searcy in the line-up than any subs for Dareus & Mario, they are the 2 bonafide super-studs on the D.

Yeah, just because our crappy backup DLmen are more experienced than Searcy doesn't mean we'd be in less trouble.

Given the choice of replacing:

Very good player ---> known lousy player at a key position

or

OK player ---> unknown (probably lousy) player at a less important position..

I think I'm taking option #2 every time. Maybe if Wilson were Ed Reed or something it'd be close.

Ok immediately Sheppard came to mind because he will be quarterbacking this defense with no real back-up but as Iread the other posts it is clear that k Williams and Dareus are the keys! Flip a coin between them but since I wear a Dareus jersey I will make him my choice. He is not only extremely talented but he has become a cheerleader on D!

Have to admit some of these posts have me salivating about our pass rush ... Think for a moment of a five man D front of Merriman Anderson K. Williams Dareus and M. Williams all rushing Tom Brady or Mark Sanchez full speed and then toss in a late breaking safety blitz

Yeah, just because our crappy backup DLmen are more experienced than Searcy doesn't mean we'd be in less trouble.

Given the choice of replacing:

Very good player ---> known lousy player at a key position

or

OK player ---> unknown (probably lousy) player at a less important position..

I think I'm taking option #2 every time. Maybe if Wilson were Ed Reed or something it'd be close.

The whole calling the plays on defense and putting others in better position to succeed part sort of evens that out I think. He is one of top players in secondary and one of our top tacklers besides. Not sure myself on which would be a bigger loss, but I'm slightly leaning toward Wilson.

To me we have one of top 5 safety tandems in league, and losing either of them would be a huge loss to our defense. I'm not trying to diminish William's value, as he is even better fit for this defense than the one we where running last year, and he was best player on the line last year. Having several other impact players around him this year, should make the overall line play more able to cope with his loss IMO however. Doesn't mean don't think losing him would go unnoticed, or that think any of his backups can play near his level. I just think that between the drop off of backup safety, and loss of the experience and play calling of Wilson, that losing him would have a more profound impact to players around him.

Would be ecstatic if we only lost one player however, base on our injury history in recent year.

It is a good subject to think about - but one I hope we never see tested!!!

Anyway, I'm thinking our defense would look a lot less daunting if Mario Williams was not here. Sure, we'd still have the two DT's and Mark Anderson, but we'd all be talking a lot more about whether or not Merriman would be coming back healthy, and if he could, then we might have a very, very good D-line. With Mario Williams in the mix, that kind of conversation goes from what we might have, to just how awesome is it going to be? So, I'm saying Mario makes the most difference, simply because of how the complexion of the whole changes when he's not in the picture.

We lose a safety, corner, or even a linebacker or DT, and we have comparable talent to fill the void for a few games. We have no young DE with such promise behind Mario.

I have to go with Chris Browns conclusion...

There are valuable contributors throughout Buffalo’s defensive unit, but replacing Sheppard or Wilson might prove to be the most difficult. Knowing Wilson’s replacement would most likely be a young player and not a veteran as in the case of Sheppard, Wilson is probably the defensive unit’s most indispensable player.

Its just my opinion but Mark Anderson is very under rated for making the big play when you least expect it, NEVER gives up. Great Video too

This is just my cheap plug for Mark Anderson.

Skip the first 24 seconds of the video. Just posturing by Anderson.

Edited by Astrobot