What is a Bands/Individuals Signature Song?

millbank

I guess that isn't my definition of signature song. My definition is a song that is not only popular with FANS (real fans of the artist, not just some folks who liek a song or 2), but also representitive of their sound - I think it goes beyond a song that is just the most recognizable. Case in point - Quessryche's biggest commercial success was Silent Lucidity, but is nothing like any of their other stuff - to say it is their signature song would be laughable. But, lots of top 40 people bought the album in 1991 and were probably surprised that all the other tracks were a lot heavier - I know when I saw them on the Empire Tour in 1991 there were people there who came thinking they whole show was going to be Silent Lucidity type music and were wondering what the hell was going on when Geoff Tate started belting out Queen of the Reich...

wow I forgot all about that song! I think the varying definitions of signature song make this thread an interesting one. I have seen several songs listed that I disagree with, but then realize that is my perspective and not theirs. Here is some more 80s/90s power ballads that might not represent the bands style but that I think of when thinking about the band:

Nelson - after the rain

Skid Row - 18 and Life

Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light (why do women love this horrible song so much?!)

Poison - Every Rose has its Thorns

The formula of releasing a power ballad as the second single really helped launch quite a few bands regardless of how close to their actual musical stylings it was. (as an aside how awesome was hair metal?!)

Some more for me:

Van Halen (Roth) - Hot for Teacher

Van Halen (Haggar) - Right Now

Kansas - Carry on My Wayward Son

Zeppelin - Stairway

Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side

Foghat - Slow Ride

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

Frampton - Do you feel like we do

Heart - Crazy on you

Rush - Tom Sawyer

Manfred Mann - Blinded by the Light (extended version is so much better)

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light (why do women love this horrible song so much?!)

1. It's a great karaoke song.

2. She bagged a husband in the end, didn't she? :D

Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way

Kenny Chesney - She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy

Tim McGraw - Barbecue Stain

Dierks Bentley - What Was I thinking

Carrie Underwood - Jesus Take the Wheel

Jason Aldean - Big Green Tractor

Keith Urban - Put You In A Song

New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Santana - Oye Come Va

Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand

John Lennon - Imagine

Bruce Spingsteen - Born to Run

Just get in an elevator and you'll hear The Doors' signature sounds. <_<

You said soundS.

:thumbsup:

2. She bagged a husband in the end, didn't she? :D

Yeah, but under extreme duress... Any lawyer worth their salt could get that annulled.

:nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Based on the reactions at live shows, I'd have to say Betterman.

I'd say "Black."

I know it isn't their signature but elderly woman behind a counter in a small town is by far my favorite Pear Jam song.

As for their signature to me it has to be Yellow Ledbetter (that riff!) Vedder muttering make me cry right before the solo is amazing. Guitar Solos and the feeling from them... man I love music :blush:

If I went with anything off of Ten, it would be Evenflow.

Now, is that your personal feeling, or your perception of listeners in general?

"Black" is the song I associate with them, but I understand somebody else would have a completely different idea.

Another example is for Van Halen -- I don't think of anything but "Jump," but I'm definitely in the minority, apparently.

I know it isn't their signature but elderly woman behind a counter in a small town is by far my favorite Pear Jam song.

As for their signature to me it has to be Yellow Ledbetter (that riff!) Vedder muttering make me cry right before the solo is amazing. Guitar Solos and the feeling from them... man I love music :blush:

I've had many a drunken campfires playing/singing "Elderly Woman..." with friends. Great song.

Now, is that your personal feeling, or your perception of listeners in general?

"Black" is the song I associate with them, but I understand somebody else would have a completely different idea.

I went pretty scientific on it actually. They have played Evenflow more than any other song, almost 100 times more than Alive (which is 2nd on the list).

I went pretty scientific on it actually. They have played Evenflow more than any other song, almost 100 times more than Alive (which is 2nd on the list).

Interesting. I'd like to see the list.

The night Chicago died - whoever sang it, I'm not motivate to look it up, but I'd say it's definitely their signature song

DO NOT ask me how I know this... I did not look it up either!

Paper Lace

Also in that era:

Billy Don't Be a Hero: Bo Donaldson and the Haywoods.

Wow... I need to go kill myself! Damn 45's as a child!

The night Chicago died - whoever sang it, I'm not motivate to look it up, but I'd say it's definitely their signature song

I thought you were joking with Safety Dance for Men without Hats, etc. If you only had one song, you are not entitled to a signature song.