trade or fix 10 year old car

birdog1960

my 03 g35 coupe needs fixing. there's a known issue with the radio that shorts out the center console and a/c controls. also a known problem with window motrs and i need another one of them (my 3rd). i figure about $1000 to fix em both. car has 73000 miles and is well maintained. i love driving it. it purrs like a tiger. what else is likely to go bad in the next couple years on a 10 year old car? for instance, is it likely hoses and belts will just start needinig replacing all at once. suspension parts? it has relatively new brakes, rotors, battery and tires. the v6 in this car is well known for durability but i don't want to spend 1 day a month getting a different part changed out. any mechanics out there? Is that very likely?

What's the blue book value of the car? What would you get for it if you would sell it privately, what's the value you would get as a trade in and what would it cost for you to buy a similar car?

What is the recommended scheduled maintenance for some of you bigger, more expensive things like replacing the timing belt? How much is that going to cost you? Even if nothing else goes wrong you'll either have to do the maintenance or suffer the consequences of these things wearing out. You should also be able to do some digging online and find out what things typically need repair on your exact year and model car.

In the end you'll have to judge how much it'll cost you to keep it with all the known repairs (plus what you think may unexpectedly need reairs) vs. what it would cost to replace vs. what you can get for it by selling. I was lucky - when my 11 year old Outback died it died a certain death - blew the head gasket and the repair was way more than the car was worth so it was a no brainer to get another vehicle. If you don't have such a clear cut case it's hard to figure out what you should do but looking at the numbers should help.

What's the blue book value of the car? What would you get for it if you would sell it privately, what's the value you would get as a trade in and what would it cost for you to buy a similar car?

What is the recommended scheduled maintenance for some of you bigger, more expensive things like replacing the timing belt? How much is that going to cost you? Even if nothing else goes wrong you'll either have to do the maintenance or suffer the consequences of these things wearing out. You should also be able to do some digging online and find out what things typically need repair on your exact year and model car.

In the end you'll have to judge how much it'll cost you to keep it with all the known repairs (plus what you think may unexpectedly need reairs) vs. what it would cost to replace vs. what you can get for it by selling. I was lucky - when my 11 year old Outback died it died a certain death - blew the head gasket and the repair was way more than the car was worth so it was a no brainer to get another vehicle. If you don't have such a clear cut case it's hard to figure out what you should do but looking at the numbers should help.

i'm getting a trade in value today. i'm thinking $12000 based on kbb. (right now, the console and a/c are working- it happened on a very muggy day). looking at hyundai genesis and they'll add another $1500 to the trade in on the infiniti due to a "competitor incentive" so i figure i can walk out the door with a base genesis (base has lots of stuff) for about$18k. sounds like the right deal (and yeah i was thinking gaskets start going after 10 years too) but i'm not sure the genesis will get my heart pounding like the g. any genesis owners here?

I'd say pay to fix it. $1k isn't that much money compared to a new car. I have a '99 Camry (yeah, I know, much more reliable) with ~170k miles on it and it's still going strong. 73k just seems like nothing.

It sounds like the problems you have are pretty minor. Usually the way I judge it is how are the major things, Drivetrain (motor/Transmission) and Body (Rust?). If they are solid then the rest is minor. Hoses and belts are maintanance items that every car eventually needs replaced and not usually too expensive, especially if you have a basic understanding of how a wrench/screwdriver/ratchet work and can do it yourself. The way to look at it also is, would I rather spend money on maintenance once in a while, or have a car payment to make every month to own something new?

:lol: well, it's my wife who's pushing me to trade it so...

Have you checked to see what her trade in value would be?

Might be more economical to trade her in and keep the old car, although I doubt that, it always seems to end up costing alot more to trade them in then to just keep living with them

Timing belt can push to 100k... That is the biggie. Have plugs been changed? I can't think of anything else since it has such low miles... Suspenison parts not that much until over 100k.

Figure, you are only putting 7.3k on it a year... It is cheaper to keep it. Another 4 years and it will only have just over 100k on it... You said you did battery and brakes...

Seems like a money maker... I would be concerned about the electrical shorting though... Can you sell it privately in good faith?

Keep it. Buy another car and use this one as your beater.

A 10 year old car is like a 40 year old wife. Take the plates off and leave it under a bridge in a bad neighborhood.

Or just leave it on somebody's lawn in Anchorage, AK... :pirate:

i'm getting a trade in value today. i'm thinking $12000 based on kbb. (right now, the console and a/c are working- it happened on a very muggy day). looking at hyundai genesis and they'll add another $1500 to the trade in on the infiniti due to a "competitor incentive" so i figure i can walk out the door with a base genesis (base has lots of stuff) for about$18k. sounds like the right deal (and yeah i was thinking gaskets start going after 10 years too) but i'm not sure the genesis will get my heart pounding like the g. any genesis owners here?

I rented a Genesis in New Hampshire this winter... Nice... But "tinny"... Totally stay in the Infinity/Nissan, Lexus/Toyota... Or shudder the Cadillac, Chrysler lines. I am driving a Chrysler 300 (wrecked my Jeep last week) now (while the Wrangler is getting fixed) and it has it all over the Genesis. Actually, even my 2006 Pacifica was nicer to drive. The Hyundai is not bad... Just didn't feel nice.

Timing belt can push to 100k... That is the biggie. Have plugs been changed? I can't think of anything else since it has such low miles... Suspenison parts not that much until over 100k.

Figure, you are only putting 7.3k on it a year... It is cheaper to keep it. Another 4 years and it will only have just over 100k on it... You said you did battery and brakes...

Seems like a money maker... I would be concerned about the electrical shorting though... Can you sell it privately in good faith?

Keep it. Buy another car and use this one as your beater.

Or just leave it on somebody's lawn in Anchorage, AK... :pirate:

I rented a Genesis in New Hampshire this winter... Nice... But "tinny"... Totally stay in the Infinity/Nissan, Lexus/Toyota... Or shudder the Cadillac, Chrysler lines. I am driving a Chrysler 300 (wrecked my Jeep last week) now (while the Wrangler is getting fixed) and it has it all over the Genesis. Actually, even my 2006 Pacifica was nicer to drive. The Hyundai is not bad... Just didn't feel nice.

was it a 2012 genesis? this year's has 330 hp and a new 8 speed tranny in the sedan. has crappy tires on the base model yet drove really nice in my short test drive. salesman kept encouraging me to push it and of course i did. doesn't handle like a sports car but pretty damn good for a big sedan. i like to get a deal and as far as cars go this looks to be a good one. haven't tried the 300 or even an awd taurus but those are in the running. for a lexus, infiniti or bmw, would have to get a 2 or 3 year old one for the same money.

i've been ruminating on this all week and i'm leaning towards keeping the g.

was it a 2012 genesis? this year's has 330 hp and a new 8 speed tranny in the sedan. has crappy tires on the base model yet drove really nice in my short test drive. salesman kept encouraging me to push it and of course i did. doesn't handle like a sports car but pretty damn good for a big sedan. i like to get a deal and as far as cars go this looks to be a good one. haven't tried the 300 or even an awd taurus but those are in the running. for a lexus, infiniti or bmw, would have to get a 2 or 3 year old one for the same money.

i've been ruminating on this all week and i'm leaning towards keeping the g.

Good point. It was a 2010... A bit beat as a rental... Kinda Mercedes looking... But not quite! If you got the dough, go the real thing. I am flashing back to the 70's when the Ford Granada commercials tried to compare it to a Mercedes. :wallbash:

Again... Not really slamming it... The rental had all the bells and whistles and it was very nice car... Not to mention forgetting to check the gas gauge (a bit inaccurate) and almost running ouy of fuel in the middle of the White Mountains (Franconia Notch)!

Go for it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Back in February my '03 Ford Escape (145k miles) needed some repairs - all total about $1k. I really, really wanted to get another couple of years out of it. I test drove some vehicles - new and used, but just couldn't stomach another $300 a month payment. So - I got it fixed and never looked back. At this point I'm ahead of the game because I'd be at about $1000 worth of payments right now with 57 more to go. Escape is running fine (knock on wood) and even if I can get through to the end of the year I'm better off. 2-3 years would be gravy....

Edited by Richmond_Bills

my 03 g35 coupe needs fixing. there's a known issue with the radio that shorts out the center console and a/c controls. also a known problem with window motrs and i need another one of them (my 3rd). i figure about $1000 to fix em both. car has 73000 miles and is well maintained. i love driving it. it purrs like a tiger. what else is likely to go bad in the next couple years on a 10 year old car? for instance, is it likely hoses and belts will just start needinig replacing all at once. suspension parts? it has relatively new brakes, rotors, battery and tires. the v6 in this car is well known for durability but i don't want to spend 1 day a month getting a different part changed out. any mechanics out there? Is that very likely?

Keep it. An '03, you should be able to get an easy 150k miles on it. Hoses and belts are normal wear-and-tear, and a stupid reason to ditch a running car.

Also...it's more environmentally friendly to keep the car.