Jennings/Falcons Question

Ennjay

Also, Atlanta will no longer overpay for players, since they have a new GM Rich Mckay.

186472[/snapback]

McCay is so much in charge that Blank roams the sidelines during games....the guy has an ego the size of Atlanta--McCay will do what his owner wants....just like any GM...

Peerless was a free agency year wonderboy.  His production has been in rapid decline since 2002.  The Falcons also drafted Jenkins last year in the 1st round and quite frankly he may be the better deep threat already.  Being younger and cheaper, Jenkins could make Peerless highly dumpable.  It would not surprise me at all to see the Falcons try to go in a different direction at the position -- the Falcons receivers have been pretty putrid this year, Crumpler being about the only guy that can be counted upon.

186436[/snapback]

I'm thinking Peerless would make a nice third WR over Reed.

You remember Drew commenting that there were no jerks on this team and that it was unique not to have a few guys in the locker room that he would classify as jerks....something tells me that Peerless fit the jerk category.......I doubt we wanted him when he hit FA and I doubt we want him back.

186460[/snapback]

On the contrary, both Drew and Moulds were publicly expressing their hopes that we would resign Peerless when he became an FA and I think Moulds even raised the unheard of notion of redoing his contract to keep Peerless around.

I saw no indications that Price was a jerk and all he seemed to say fell into the usual overconfidence of any athlete that he wanted to paid like a co-#1 WR (not a rediculous notion with Moulds ringing up 100 catches in 2002 and Price bringing in 94. I think they were about equal over the couple of years in TDs also).

I think Price got a bad rap on the wall as we posters went through separation anziety, but the only bad things you can say about his play as a Bill were a few untimely fumbles which always struck me as him coughing it up on a second hit when he was fighting for extra yardage instead of falling down with the first stiff wind when he had the ball.

TD did a great job by laying the transition tag on him after Arthur Blank foolishly promised the AT fans he would sign Peerless in FA. Rather than being a jerk when the Bills tagged him, he appeared to cooperate well with TD and said the things necessary that allowed us to extort a first round choice from AT that became WM.

I think there is no real evidence of Peerless being a jerk, cancer or what have you and plenty of evidence that we were glad to have him and glad to see him go in exchange for a #1 who became WM.

1) You can always make the cap room -- you only need it for the time the tag is used...we get $3-4 million in dead money back from Ruben and then the rise in funds (estimated right now at about $6 million) and then whatever we had to spare.  Plus Moulds will redo. 

2) We are in a perfect position to pull this off--no glaring needs with the priority being to sign our own UFA or extend those with contracts expiring.

If we want to do it-- it is an option and TD and Overdorf have already made it work once.  Something tells me Mr. Blank will do it again...I don't even want a first for Jonas--a package of a second and third will do.

186496[/snapback]

i agree completely, but you won't find much support for such a move on this board or in bills management......they missed the perfect opportunity to do the same thing with winfield last year, and passed on it......they left picks on the table with that move, and i expect them to do the same with jennings IF he decides to sign elsewhere......

my preference would be to see him brought back at market value (i.e. 25 mil/5 years/10 mil SB), but if that isn't going to happen, franchising JJ is a no risk/decent reward proposition.......like you said, no first rounder required, whatever someone will give is good enough.......should be taken advantage of.......

We'll agree to disagree on this one FFS....Peerless's fumbles at critical times cost a couple of games, he had unsportsmanlike conducts again at inopportune times.

What are Moulds and Drew going to say he's not clutch --- we don't want him..they were saying what 95% of players would say (other than TO and Garcia) about a prospective FA.

I look at it this way--who of the regulars/semi-regulars has left since Drew came--Peerless, Winfield, Morris, Sullivan, Shaw, Ahanatou a few others --and Drew makes this comment--there are only a few choices.....

Sullivan definitely fits the category. Chidi also. Morris and Winfield--probably not...Peerless---let's just say---we lost a lot on the field--as Evans has displayed this year -- but we probably didn't lose much leadership or lead by example.

Personally, the only knock I can find with Jonas is with his durability. Maybe it's just me, but he seems to get nicked up a bit too often. Yet, when he's ready to go, he's the best LT we've seen since Wilford. If we can work out a deal to keep him, do it.

P.S. I love watching him dominate Jason Taylor.

The question about franchising also arises. Currently, I think the top 5

tackle avg. salary is probably in the 5M to 6M range. If we can sign Pat

Williams to a cap-friendly deal and restructure Moulds, we might just have

sufficient cap space to tag JJ and then work out a new deal. At least then

the advantage goes to the Bills, as they will scare of potential targets like

Atlanta.

Others who could be considered for some restructuring might be TKO,

Milloy or MIke WIlliams.