Whither Easley?

Everyone understandably likes Easley because he certainly looks the part - he's plenty big and fast enough to play in the league. But predicting that a 4th round pick that has yet to play a down in two years is going to be an "elite" WR is quite a reach. Anyone who thinks that now, before even seeing him play a meaningful snap, is setting themselves up for disappointment. You can't ignore his injury and illness history. You can't disregard he was a one year wonder (don't we all hate those guys?) at a middling college program who walked on his first 3 years.

I know it's fun to be a shameless homer, but having some perspective isn't a bad thing.

He wasn't even a 1 year wonder. 893 yds and 8 TDs does not even count as a "one year wonder" status at any level.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't even a 1 year wonder. 893 yds and 8 TDs does not even count as a "one year wonder" status at any level.

In college those would be good stats sir. Your pretty Anti- Easley, the rest of us blindless homers are pullin hard for him. Let's judge in week 6 if Easley is bringing it or not.

Can anyone else remember a pretty damn good receiver picked mid round from an obscure school that was a Bill and should be in the Hall of Fame?

I can remember one, yeah. Does that have anything to do with the Easley discussion? No.

But of course Reed and Easley are both 4th round picks, so obviously Marcus's career will mirror Andre's.

Can anyone else remember a pretty damn good receiver picked mid round from an obscure school that was a Bill and should be in the Hall of Fame?

I certainly don't recall Reed having a season ending injury/issue in each of his first 2 seasons before even stepping on the field in a regular season game.

Andre Reed was a 4th round pick out of Kutztown, Pennsylvania. Does he qualify? The Bills have gotten later round picks that have turned out to be very good players, although not HOF material. Don Beebe was a 3rd rounder. Peerless Price I believe was a 2nd rounder and very productive for the Bills. There's no reason not to be optimistic about Easley. Easley went to Connecticut. Not an obscure school at all.

So who do these college career stats belong to:

Seasons____2

Catches____72

Yards___ 1200

Avg______16.7

TDs_______ 14

Pretty good career so far...

What's your point? Those would be GREAT numbers for 1 season. Someone said he had a "breakout season" and I said 893 yds and 8 TDs IMO does not qualify for a "breakout season." And sorry it doesn't.

What's your point? Those would be GREAT numbers for 1 season. Someone said he had a "breakout season" and I said 893 yds and 8 TDs IMO does not qualify for a "breakout season." And sorry it doesn't.

Stevie could also be considered a one-year wonder with slightly better stats.

In his "breakout" senior year, he had only 12 more catches and 147 more yards than Easley in his senior season, playing on a Kentucky team that threw the ball about 40% more often (40.6 attempts per game vs. 28.8)...

Edited by Lurker

Stevie could also be considered a one-year wonder with slightly better stats.

In his "breakout" senior year, he had only 12 more catches and 147 more yards than Easley in his senior season, playing on a Kentucky team that threw the ball about 40% more often (40.6 attempts per game vs. 28.8)...

SLIGHTLY better? He went from 159 yds to 1041 yds and 1 TD to 13 TDs in 1 season. THAT IS BREAKOUT. Not to mention Stevie played against the toughest competition in college football (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, etc). Numbers are far superior to Easley considering level of competition.

An 8 TD and 13 TD season is pretty significant. Stevie ranked 4th in the NATION in receiving TDs that year. 8 TDs that season would've ranked a player 45th in the nation.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

SLIGHTLY better? He went from 159 yds to 1041 yds and 1 TD to 13 TDs in 1 season. THAT IS BREAKOUT. Not to mention Stevie played against the toughest competition in college football (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, etc). Numbers are far superior to Easley considering level of competition.

An 8 TD and 13 TD season is pretty significant. Stevie ranked 4th in the NATION in receiving TDs that year. 8 TDs that season would've ranked a player 45th in the nation.

And Easley went from 48 yds to 893 yds/8 TDs playing in a balanced offense as opposed to the pass-happy Kentucky scheme. Yes, it wasn't the SEC, but it wasn't cream puffs either (Baylor, North Carolina, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Pitt). Most teams weren't particularly impressed with Stevie's "4th in the NATION" stats and "BREAKOUT" senior year given his draft position.

Easley's career may or may not amount to anything. But it's too soon to label him a bust given the limited amount of reps he's been able to put up over the past two years.

And Easley went from 48 yds to 893 yds/8 TDs playing in a balanced offense as opposed to the pass-happy Kentucky scheme. Yes, it wasn't the SEC, but it wasn't cream puffs either (Baylor, North Carolina, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Pitt). Most teams weren't particularly impressed with Stevie's "4th in the NATION" stats and "BREAKOUT" senior year given his draft position.

Easley's career may or may not amount to anything. But it's too soon to label him a bust given the limited amount of reps he's been able to put up over the past two years.

I'm certainly not calling Easley a bust yet. Even if he did turn out that way, I wouldn't be too bent about a 4th rounder not working out. My only point in my initial response was towards those here who seem unhealthily obsessed with this guy, who has done absolutely nothing, nada, to help this team in two years. Yet every week another Easley thread pops up. And in every thread there's someone predicting this guy is "going to be elite" or something along those lines. Really? Based on what? Sorry, the fact that he was drafted in the same round as Andre Reed is not compelling.

June optimism is great, I'm not trying to p*ss all over it. But why all the obsession over this guy? Why not talk about players who have actually given us REASON to be excited? Like Dareus, who was dominant at times in his rookie year? Or Spiller, who showed flashes late last season behind a busted and broken offensive line? Or even someone like Justin Rogers, who steadily contributed more and more as the season went on last year and could turn out to be another 7th round gem? Those are the guys I'm optimistic about. Not some guy who: a) wasn't dominant in college, b) suffered a serious injury and a serious illness in the two years he was here. Honestly Easley seems at this point to be a long shot to even make the team, and I can't say I'd mind if he got cut. At least his fan club would stop talking about him for no reason.

Who's sayin he's going to fail? Not me. And a 4th round pick can't be labeled as a BUST.

All I'm saying is Easley hasn't done sht in this league and he's already being talked about as being the number 2 WR and has the "skill set" to be a stud.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

From pretty much all reports from reporters that were at the Bills practice today, Easley was the standout player, with two touchdowns on a few nice, tough grabs, working with the first team for the first time. It's good to see.

I still say that we are going to see all of the various receivers getting playtime, between Easley, Hagan, Jones and Graham opposite Stevie. It's going to be tough for any of them to put up any kind of numbers, however, because SJ is going to get the most passes, Nelson will get a significant number, Chandler will get his share, and both Freddy and CJ are both going to be playing what amounts to a slot WR on a lot of plays, whether they are split out or in motion from the backfield. And if the reports are accurate that the Bills are trying to find a roster spot and playing time for Dorin Dickerson as an H Back, there will be even fewer balls to go around.

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the four #2 guys we will have playing opposite Stevie will have more than 30 receptions. But that doesn't mean we cannot be highly productive from that spot. All four have some talent and bring different things to the table, and may be troublesome for the opposition to prepare for. I'm really looking forward to seeing this offense, almost as much as the defense.

From pretty much all reports from reporters that were at the Bills practice today, Easley was the standout player, with two touchdowns on a few nice, tough grabs, working with the first team for the first time. It's good to see.

I still say that we are going to see all of the various receivers getting playtime, between Easley, Hagan, Jones and Graham opposite Stevie. It's going to be tough for any of them to put up any kind of numbers, however, because SJ is going to get the most passes, Nelson will get a significant number, Chandler will get his share, and both Freddy and CJ are both going to be playing what amounts to a slot WR on a lot of plays, whether they are split out or in motion from the backfield. And if the reports are accurate that the Bills are trying to find a roster spot and playing time for Dorin Dickerson as an H Back, there will be even fewer balls to go around.

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the four #2 guys we will have playing opposite Stevie will have more than 30 receptions. But that doesn't mean we cannot be highly productive from that spot. All four have some talent and bring different things to the table, and may be troublesome for the opposition to prepare for. I'm really looking forward to seeing this offense, almost as much as the defense.

I've been saying that the #2 WR will be more of a speed/decoy WR, to open things up for the other guys, and the recipient of some tosses his way just to keep defenses honest. I think they were giving Donald the early reps out of respect for last year, but I think they really want Easley or Graham to win the job, given their speed.