Buffalo News changing to digital subscription

A paid subscription model for online newspapers isn't going to work.

There are still plenty of other sources of news on the web that offer content for free - local TV/radio stations being the primary source. For sports you have so many blogs (PFT, rotoworld, nfl.com, etc) that will never charge for news articles. These folks are used to giving away their content for "free" in return for advertising and the web is simply another vehicle for that.

Frankly the print model is where most papers are bleeding money. It costs a lot of money to contract out to a printing company, run a network of drivers who deliver your papers, and handle customer service. The price of a print subscription in no way makes up for the actual costs that are incurred.

This is a case of an industry refusing adapt to a clear technological shift - a la Sony with the walkman and mp3 players/digital music.

The Seattle P-I, while I do not agree with their political bent, has been largely successful in transferring to online-only. Hearst hasn't shut them down after 3 years of running with this model (and rumor has it that they haven't been losing any money) so something must be going right.

Agreed. Major collective action problem. So long as there's alternative, free, and somewhat-comparable Bills coverage, this won't work. --e.g., bb.com or the D&C

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A paid subscription model for online newspapers isn't going to work.

There are still plenty of other sources of news on the web that offer content for free - local TV/radio stations being the primary source. For sports you have so many blogs (PFT, rotoworld, nfl.com, etc) that will never charge for news articles. These folks are used to giving away their content for "free" in return for advertising and the web is simply another vehicle for that.

Frankly the print model is where most papers are bleeding money. It costs a lot of money to contract out to a printing company, run a network of drivers who deliver your papers, and handle customer service. The price of a print subscription in no way makes up for the actual costs that are incurred.

This is a case of an industry refusing adapt to a clear technological shift - a la Sony with the walkman and mp3 players/digital music.

The Seattle P-I, while I do not agree with their political bent, has been largely successful in transferring to online-only. Hearst hasn't shut them down after 3 years of running with this model (and rumor has it that they haven't been losing any money) so something must be going right.

I have heard, although I am not sure that this is true, that newspapers hoped to break even on the actual printing of the paper, and the ink and paper itself, and delivery against all of their subscription income. And that the profit was made on the advertisements and especially the classified ads. With advertisers not willing to buy as many ads because the subscriptions are way down, and the internet a better way to get stuff that classified newspaper ads used to have a stronghold on, that is why they cannot make any money anymore.

Eventually the newspapers will find a way to survive.

Agreed. Major collective action problem. So long as there's alternative, free, and somewhat-comparable Bills coverage, this won't work. --e.g., bb.com or the D&C

Well, except the majority of News readers don't read it only for Bills coverage. I'm guessing that you read your local paper, but not because it covers the Wolverines and Lions, right?

Well, except the majority of News readers don't read it only for Bills coverage. I'm guessing that you read your local paper, but not because it covers the Wolverines and Lions, right?

Exactly. I lived in WNY 23 years have lot's of friends and family there. I like to see what the home town news is. Bills? I just come here.

Well, despite my screen name, I live in Pittsburgh; but you're right, I read the local paper for non-sports stuff. Not sure I would though if I had to pay for it.

Here's a FREE article from the NYT about The Buffalo News and it's success. Interesting nuggets about Warren Buffett. I guess TBN is one of the few newspapers that might be able to get away charging a fee since there are a sick amount of WNY'ers living elsewhere in the country...that still feel a bond with their hometown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/business/media/newspaper-work-with-warren-buffett-as-the-boss.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all