What will make this season a success?

pm73

At the end of last season I made the decision that going into TDs fourth year, I had no reason to lower my expectations for this team from my expectations from the 2003 squad (GWs last year). Going into that season I felt that 9-7 and a run for a playoff spot was the minimum that the Bills should achieve. That is the same goal that I thought the Bills should be able to achieve this year even with all the coaching changes.

I felt that the players were in place in GWs last year and that it was poor coaching that led to thier downfall. With a good coaching hire, I had no reason to lower my expectations just because they were new.

Well...the Bills have achieved that goal and may quite possible exceed it this weekend if things go the way we all want them to. In my book, this has been a successful season regardless what happens this weekend (even if we lose against Pitt).

My question is, does any of you think that anything more needs to happen to allow you to consider this a successful season?

Do we need to win Sunday? Do we need to make the playoffs? Do we need to win a playoff game?

Regardless of what happens this weekend, I will be ecstatic going into next year. Of course, I may be ecstatic after this weekend but I won't be too upset if they don't make it. The WAY they will have achieved thier winning record, bodes well for the future.

In terms of better production out of the offense, improved special teams, and a defense that is getting more and more dominant, this has already been a successful season. There's still room to improve (bigger, nastier offensive line; pass rush), but at least we're heading in the right direction.

In terms of better production out of the offense, improved special teams, and a defense that is getting more and more dominant, this has already been a successful season.  There's still room to improve (bigger, nastier offensive line; pass rush), but at least we're heading in the right direction.

186239[/snapback]

There are some OL beasts coming out in the 2005 draft. We definitly need a better center. Also, the corner back position.

At the end of last season I made the decision that going into TDs fourth year, I had no reason to lower my expectations for this team from my expectations from the 2003 squad (GWs last year).  Going into that season I felt that 9-7 and a run for a playoff spot was the minimum that the Bills should achieve.  That is the same goal that I thought the Bills should be able to achieve this year even with all the coaching changes. 

I felt that the players were in place in GWs last year and that it was poor coaching that led to thier downfall.  With a good coaching hire, I had no reason to lower my expectations just because they were new.

Well...the Bills have achieved that goal and may quite possible exceed it this weekend if things go the way we all want them to.  In my book, this has been a successful season regardless what happens this weekend (even if we lose against Pitt).

My question is,  does any of you think that anything more needs to happen to allow you to consider this a successful season?

Do we need to win Sunday?  Do we need to make the playoffs?  Do we need to win a playoff game?

Regardless of what happens this weekend, I will be ecstatic going into next year.  Of course, I may be ecstatic after this weekend but I won't be too upset if they don't make it.   The WAY they will have achieved thier winning record, bodes well for the future.

186191[/snapback]

We have to do something this year. The streak and momentum will be gone next year and regardless of who we draft or pickup they can't replace "old Mo".

Comeback seasons like this happen once in a great while. Anybody that says wait til next year doesn't remember the 85 Bears.

I think we can call this season a success, regardless of what happens. My expectations at the beginning were about an 8-8 team, maybe 7-9. I figured even with the veterans on this team, they would take a while to get comfortable with Mularkey and the whole regime. Luckily, they got comfortable a lot quicker than I thought.

Having said that, I want them to make the playoffs now. There are very few teams these days that can sustain successful seasons (read: playoffs or better) for several years at a time. Who knows what will happen if the Bills get in? Who also knows what happens if they don't? This may be their best shot for the next few years. Personally, I doubt that, but you never know....

this season is already an unmitigated success. the bills have found a legitimate head coach, stud RB, stud WR, ball-hawking defense, and dominant ST. they've found a way to enable a QB on the downside of his career to stay productive, while drafting his eventual replacement. they've learned how to win and will finish with a winning record. for the first time in 5 years week 17 actually means something, and with a couple of breaks, they'll make the playoffs. all of this is much more than i expected. honestly, it doesn't matter what happens this sunday and afterwards. if the chips fall our way it will merely be gravy.

This season is already a success in my book.

After a 0-4 start and a crushing defeat by NE in week 10, which left us with a 3-6 record, OUR Bills have rallied for 6 straight wins.

The OL has really gelled with the addition of McGahee. McGahee, McGahee, McGahee, you cannot say enough about his contribution! The HC has proven that he is a capable leader whom the team definitely believes in. The defense is on fire, they have every AFC playoff team hoping they don't have to face the Bills. STs have been great.

I Billieve that the Bills have proven that they're special. Regardless of this weekends outcome this team has proven that they are winners and I think we are going to have a few special years of football ahead of us!

It's a success regardless of what happens Sunday. IMO, this season has yielded the following:

1) We have found our coach & staff.

2) TD has solidified his position as the unquestioned leader of the franchise.

3) Willis is officially a stud, and Lee is well on the way. Kelsay is the real deal. Villarreal has been a successful FA "plug-in" at guard. Our secondary is solid with Milloy & Vincent at the safety positions. Clements & McGee at the corners are good if McGee gets help. Our special teams have progressed mightily under April. Peters and Bannan have interesting possibilities for the future.

4) Gray has resolved any concerns about whether he could handle a defense on his own, and has been locked into a contract extension.

5) Losman was a no factor, but he has 1 season with the team under his belt.

Even if, based on the results Sunday, we need to label this year a "transitional" season, I think that the transition has successfully been made between the depths of despair and real hope to compete for a SB.

My hats off to the organization - things are coming together.

winning out would be a success for me. Playoffs would be the cherry on top, since after winning out, its out of the bills hands. 10-6 is a success. However, going back to my newly formed theory regarding the super bowl this year:

"If the red sox can overcome a 0-3 deficit to the yankees..."

IMHO, this season has been a success based on the way we started...at the beginning of the year, i said i'd be happy with 9-7 and in the fight for the playoffs, so we'd have something to pull for in december...well this has happened and i'm happy...

that being said, with what has happend the past few weeks, i will be slightly disappointed if we dont make the playoffs...as someone mentioned, this type of momentum doesnt come along very often and you need to ride it for all its worth...

I'd say anything better than an embarrassing loss to the Steelers (say 20 points, or a Bills team that visually quits trying) means that this season was a success. I big loss to the Steelers backups means we've taken a step in the right direction this season, but maybe there's some merit to the questions about our ability to compete with really good teams.

I fully expect us to play a tough game and win this Sunday.