Best political speech's

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love speeches. I'll post a few over time. The one phrase that always come to mind quickly (although perhaps not "political" necessarily):

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Edited by TheNewBills

Not really.

And I actually did report it. 'Cause, y'know...it's a banning offense.

Just busting your balls. Where was this initially posted? Is it also a banning offense to plagiarize, and not give credit to someone else's work?

Um, Gettysburg address? Doesn't that blow away all others for all time?

OP was asking for the best speeches, not the best. Gettysburg is right up there. I actually googled "best political speeches" and Reagans 1987 speech was #94. Jesse F'n Jackson had two speeches "better than this one". Anyway one of my links had a narrative by the actual speechwriter for Reagans's speech and it was interesting to see all of the B.S. behind the scenes. If anyone had any doubt, Reagan called the shots in his presidency.

So how long until Hitler ends up in here?

The guy was a damn good speaker.

I like this authoritarian better though:

I ask this audience to-night whether or not we are going to give everything we have within us - not only material resources, but our moral and spiritual being, our very life and our very soul - in holy dedication to England that she shall not perish, but shall live in greatness. We are going, if the power lies within us (and it lies within us because within us is the spirit of the English), to say that our generation and our children shall not die like rats in Polish holes. They shall not die but they shall live to breathe the good English air, to love the fair English countryside, to see above them the English sky, to feel beneath their feet the English soil.

This heritage of England, by our struggle and our sacrifice, again we shall give to our children. And, with that sacred gift, we tell them that they come from that stock of men who went out from this small island in frail craft across storm-tossed seas to take in their brave hands the greatest Empire that man has ever seen; in which tomorrow our people shall create the highest civilisation that man has ever known. Remember, we say to our children, those who have gone before you. Remember those who through the centuries have died that Britain might live in greatness, in beauty and in splendour. Remember too that, in the spiritual values that our creed brings back to earth, these mighty spirits march beside you and you must be worthy of their company.

So we take by the hand these our children, to whom our struggle shall give back our England; with them we dedicate ourselves again to the memory of those who have gone before, and to that radiant wonder of finer and nobler life that our victory shall bring to our country. To the dead heroes of Britain, in sacred union, we say, "Like you we give ourselves to England: across the ages that divide us, across the glories of Britain that unite us, we gaze into your eyes and we give to you this holy vow: we will be true to-day, to-morrow, and forever. England lives."

Edited by LeviF91

OP was asking for the best speeches, not the best. Gettysburg is right up there. I actually googled "best political speeches" and Reagans 1987 speech was #94. Jesse F'n Jackson had two speeches "better than this one". Anyway one of my links had a narrative by the actual speechwriter for Reagans's speech and it was interesting to see all of the B.S. behind the scenes. If anyone had any doubt, Reagan called the shots in his presidency.

"Tear down this wall"? Jesse Jackson runs and hides under his bed whenever that speech is on TV. :lol:

"Tear down this wall"? Jesse Jackson runs and hides under his bed whenever that speech is on TV. :lol:

I can, without a doubt, say that I view Reagan as a true hero. He had it right and knew how to communicate it. The icing on the top was that he could do it with a smile. They need to expand MT. Rushmore.

I can, without a doubt, say that I view Reagan as a true hero. He had it right and knew how to communicate it. The icing on the top was that he could do it with a smile. They need to expand MT. Rushmore.

Reagan's life basically built him to be one of the greatest speakers in modern politics and so he was. Had multiple classics from the 60s-80s.

Reagan's life basically built him to be one of the greatest speakers in modern politics and so he was. Had multiple classics from the 60s-80s.

And he was one of our best presidents. Worthy of our adulation and placement on MT. Rushmore.

And he was one of our best presidents. Worthy of our adulation and placement on MT. Rushmore.

LOL a quick google search shows the National Park Service is in charge of that thing (obvious in retrospect)...short of personally repelling an alien invasion there will be no more additions.

LOL a quick google search shows the National Park Service is in charge of that thing (obvious in retrospect)...short of personally repelling an alien invasion there will be no more additions.

So basically, the only guy who could possibly have a chance is Teddy Roosevelt, and he's 1) already dead, and 2) already on it.

No need to get into Reagan there was good and bad with him but I admire him and consider him a great President. That said...minus Roosevelt (who may or may not be on there legitimately) Reagan cannot stand next to the other men on that monument.