Hippy loser dirt bags rejoice

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more cognitive dissonance on the left. happens to the left and right... :wallbash:

Please explain good sir. To me it the article is summed up right here:

“This simple and fair change will help us redirect significant resources to the most serious criminals and crime problems,” Mr. Vance said. “And, frankly, it’s the right thing to do.”

I will admit though I do agree here:

Noting the 25-gram threshold for Mr. Cuomo’s proposal, he said, “That’s a lot of pot, my friend.”

Please explain good sir. To me it the article is summed up right here:

“This simple and fair change will help us redirect significant resources to the most serious criminals and crime problems,” Mr. Vance said. “And, frankly, it’s the right thing to do.”

I will admit though I do agree here:

Noting the 25-gram threshold for Mr. Cuomo’s proposal, he said, “That’s a lot of pot, my friend.”

i was just generally speaking. the left doesnt really care about pot or even serious drugs but does care about my soda at lunch....lol :blink:

i was just generally speaking. the left doesnt really care about pot or even serious drugs but does care about my soda at lunch....lol :blink:

Well on the federal level that's true but here it seems criminal reform has real traction in NY

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2110514,00.html?iid=redirect-fareed_zakaria

The U.S. has 760 prisoners per 100,000 citizens. That's not just many more than in most other developed countries but seven to 10 times as many. Japan has 63 per 100,000, Germany has 90, France has 96, South Korea has 97, and Britain--with a rate among the highest--has 153.

We here in America make up 5% of the world's population but we make up 25% of the [world's] jailed prisoners.

This wide gap between the U.S. and the rest of the world is relatively recent. In 1980 the U.S.'s prison population was about 150 per 100,000 adults. It has more than quadrupled since then. So something has happened in the past 30 years to push millions of Americans into prison.

That something, of course, is the war on drugs.

Drug convictions went from 15 inmates per 100,000 adults in 1980 to 148 in 1996, an almost tenfold increase. More than half of America's federal inmates today are in prison on drug convictions. In 2009 alone, 1.66 million Americans were arrested on drug charges, more than were arrested on assault or larceny charges. And 4 of 5 of those arrests were simply for possession.

In 2011, California spent $9.6 billion on prisons vs. $5.7 billion on the UC system and state colleges. Since 1980, California has built one college campus and 21 prisons. A college student costs the state $8,667 per year; a prisoner costs it $45,006 a year.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2110514,00.html?iid=redirect-fareed_zakaria

The U.S. has 760 prisoners per 100,000 citizens. That's not just many more than in most other developed countries but seven to 10 times as many. Japan has 63 per 100,000, Germany has 90, France has 96, South Korea has 97, and Britain--with a rate among the highest--has 153.

We here in America make up 5% of the world's population but we make up 25% of the [world's] jailed prisoners.

This wide gap between the U.S. and the rest of the world is relatively recent. In 1980 the U.S.'s prison population was about 150 per 100,000 adults. It has more than quadrupled since then. So something has happened in the past 30 years to push millions of Americans into prison.

Drug convictions went from 15 inmates per 100,000 adults in 1980 to 148 in 1996, an almost tenfold increase. More than half of America's federal inmates today are in prison on drug convictions. In 2009 alone, 1.66 million Americans were arrested on drug charges, more than were arrested on assault or larceny charges. And 4 of 5 of those arrests were simply for possession.

In 2011, California spent $9.6 billion on prisons vs. $5.7 billion on the UC system and state colleges. Since 1980, California has built one college campus and 21 prisons. A college student costs the state $8,667 per year; a prisoner costs it $45,006 a year.

Not stating that I agree with all of the laws of the land or that we don't have a prison issue, but it always strikes me as odd that when comparing %'s of the US population with other countries the concept of homogeneous and heterogeneous rarely ever comes into consideration.

Not stating that I agree with all of the laws of the land or that we don't have a prison issue, but it always strikes me as odd that when comparing %'s of the US population with other countries the concept of homogeneous and heterogeneous rarely ever comes into consideration.

That presents problems for our country in a number of ways...but since most crime is intra-racial why bring it up as an issue that even comes close to what is suggested above?

Edited by TheNewBills

This is why I hate pot. Not only does it make people stoned idiots all day it also cranks up their excuse-o-rama. Guess what? If we didn't have laws against murder then the jails would be emptier too.

Eventually, eventually we will realize that drug laws we've had are largely an emotional argument. Talk all you want, when you get done, all you'll have is ultimately an emotional argument. Sure facts can be drawn in and nicely put in place, but the root argument will still be emotional. I am merely patiently waiting for you, and the rest the emoters, to finish your tantrums, calm down, and see reason. :lol: I am aware it will take years, and I am also aware some tantrums will never end, because ending them would mean admitting they were pointless, and that you were wrong.(ahem, Bill O'Reilly)

You would have thought that we would have learned from the 20s.

You would have thought that we would have learned that locking people up is not a valid response to them offending our sensibilities. Our sensibilities just aren't that valuable, and become completely insignificant when the cost of defending them requires us to voluntarily put large sums of cash in the hands of criminals and/or create a vehicle to fund violence all over the world.

That's what the alcohol "war" was all about: a way to lock up the immigrants who dared to offend our sensibilities by being catholic, and new, and shabby, and enjoying their booze.

That's what the drug "war" was all about: a way to lock up the people who were tired of uptight, boring and uninspired, being the new normal, and who not only offended our sensibilities, but dared to question the judgmental, yet hypocritical, phony moral superiority, and the mass denial of reality, domestic violence, and anything else that wasn't "pleasant", of the 50s.

As always moderation is the key. Too many hippies, or too many squares, pushing the pendulum too far to one side or the other, is problematic. But, in all cases, making something illegal, and opening the door to criminals, is NEVER a solution to anything. It certainly will not make parents better at their jobs, cops better at theirs, or people in general better at making good choices. The solutions to those problems have 0 in common with drugs being illegal or not. The only thing drugs being illegal does effectively: create an underground economy that draws a lot of good people into bad choices, because it's so lucrative.

Eventually, eventually we will realize that drug laws we've had are largely an emotional argument. Talk all you want, when you get done, all you'll have is ultimately an emotional argument. Sure facts can be drawn in and nicely put in place, but the root argument will still be emotional. I am merely patiently waiting for you, and the rest the emoters, to finish your tantrums, calm down, and see reason. :lol: I am aware it will take years, and I am also aware some tantrums will never end, because ending them would mean admitting they were pointless, and that you were wrong.(ahem, Bill O'Reilly)

You would have thought that we would have learned from the 20s.

You would have thought that we would have learned that locking people up is not a valid response to them offending our sensibilities. Our sensibilities just aren't that valuable, and become completely insignificant when the cost of defending them requires us to voluntarily put large sums of cash in the hands of criminals and/or create a vehicle to fund violence all over the world.

That's what the alcohol "war" was all about: a way to lock up the immigrants who dared to offend our sensibilities by being catholic, and new, and shabby, and enjoying their booze.

That's what the drug "war" was all about: a way to lock up the people who were tired of uptight, boring and uninspired, being the new normal, and who not only offended our sensibilities, but dared to question the judgmental, yet hypocritical, phony moral superiority, and the mass denial of reality, domestic violence, and anything else that wasn't "pleasant", of the 50s.

As always moderation is the key. Too many hippies, or too many squares, pushing the pendulum too far to one side or the other, is problematic. But, in all cases, making something illegal, and opening the door to criminals, is NEVER a solution to anything. It certainly will not make parents better at their jobs, cops better at theirs, or people in general better at making good choices. The solutions to those problems have 0 in common with drugs being illegal or not. The only thing drugs being illegal does effectively: create an underground economy that draws a lot of good people into bad choices, because it's so lucrative.

Are you stoned again? Because it sounds like you're stoned again.

That presents problems for our country in a number of ways...but since most crime is intra-racial why bring it up as an issue that even comes close to what is suggested above?

Interracial issues don't just result in crime.

Crime statistics don't offer a good view of the ramifications of interracial issues. Especially something as narrow as % of incarcerated people per 100,000.

Interracial issues don't just result in crime.

Crime statistics don't offer a good view of the ramifications of interracial issues. Especially something as narrow as % of incarcerated people per 100,000.

LOL what? Make yourself more clear sir.

LOL what? Make yourself more clear sir.

What didn't you understand?

I am saying that comparing the crime statistics of a more heterogeneous population with a more homogeneous population isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Not that it really makes a difference in my above opinion, but I would be curious to hear how you define most crime resulting in incarceration as being "intra-racial".

Edited by Joe Miner

Not that it really makes a difference in my above opinion, but I would be curious to hear how you define most crime resulting in incarceration as being "intra-racial".

It's fairly well-documented that violent crime is generally intraracial. For example, the typical street robbery victim - young, black, lower class - has the same profile as the typical street robbery offender.

It's fairly well-documented that violent crime is generally intraracial. For example, the typical street robbery victim - young, black, lower class - has the same profile as the typical street robbery offender.

Violent crime is only 1 type of crime that results in incarceration.

Taking that statistic and leaping to most prisoners having committed intraracial crimes is a bit fuzzy.

I wonder whether violent crimes even make up the largest % of inmates in this country.

But even if violent crimes are the largest percent, and even if most inmates committed intraracial crimes, I still say that the makeup of this interracial country plays a large part in those numbers, and that more homogeneous populations don't experience the same things we see here that help to cause higher incarceration %'s.