Why does talking politics

Look, it's my fault. I've been a member here for 8 years and never ventured into PPP. Obviously, the Bills have been pretty miserable but generally, I've had very civil and for the most part, good conversations with a good deal of posters here.

As I stated before, I was a Political Science major at undergrad. However, I couldn't stand the way people talk about politics. My friends and I never talked about politics because frankly, we had better things to do. Anyways, I decided to try this board for some conversation and holy crap. There are a lot of angry people here if you have a different opinion.

Basically, why can't people talk politics or race matters calmly? I definitely caught up in and start throwing insults (when a certain poster known as a pedophile calls you a retard, it's hard not to respond). If the goal is to make America the best possible country it can be, why can't people talk civilly and find solutions to problems? Why do politicans have to attack each other instead of telling us why they are better for the job?

Honestly, I'd like to have a peaceful discussion. I do realize that the fact people can hide behind keyboards and thrown insults increases the bravery of some. So if this becomes a bigger richard contest, I'll bow out (since I already won :thumbsup: ). But perhaps if people could talk about problems, maybe some solutions could be found.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, it's my fault. I've been a member here for 8 years and never ventured into PPP. Obviously, the Bills have been pretty miserable but generally, I've had very civil and for the most part, good conversations with a good deal of posters here.

As I stated before, I was a Political Science major at undergrad. However, I couldn't stand the way people talk about politics. My friends and I never talked about politics because frankly, we had better things to do. Anyways, I decided to try this board for some conversation and holy crap. There are a lot of angry people here if you have a different opinion.

Basically, why can't people talk politics or race matters calmly? I definitely caught up in and start throwing insults (when a certain poster known as a pedophile calls you a retard, it's hard not to respond). If the goal is to make America the best possible country it can be, why can't people talk civilly and find solutions to problems? Why do politicans have to attack each other instead of telling us why they are better for the job?

Honestly, I'd like to have a peaceful discussion. I do realize that the fact people can hide behind keyboards and thrown insults increases the bravery of some. So if this becomes a bigger richard contest, I'll bow out (since I already won :thumbsup: ). But perhaps if people could talk about problems, maybe some solutions could be found.

I'm a prick no matter what I discuss.

Good question. Why don't you examine your first few posts in PPP and get back to us.

Good question. Why don't you examine your first few posts in PPP and get back to us.

Ah deflection. Good response. And if you did read correctly, I did say I was wrong. But I definitely was attacked more than I attacked. My "angry, old, white guys" strike a big nerve for some and I apologize for that (even if I was right :thumbsup: ).

But movign forward, why can't people argue the issue instead of making it personal?

Because, for people without perspective, nothing's greater than a good 'ole ad hominem. It makes them feel good.

Also, I'm only a prick to Nickelback fans. :thumbsup:

Great response. And as a thank you:

Ah deflection. Good response. And if you did read correctly, I did say I was wrong. But I definitely was attacked more than I attacked. My "angry, old, white guys" strike a big nerve for some and I apologize for that (even if I was right :thumbsup: ).

But movign forward, why can't people argue the issue instead of making it personal?

Great response. And as a thank you: youtube.com/watch?v=BB0DU4DoPP4&ob=av2n

Believe it or not if does happen here from time to time.

Its not deflection. This isn't a question that can be answered for you, because everyone has different motivations, triggers, interests. You'll need to look inwardly and figure out why you cannot talk about political matters without becing a prick. It doesn't matter why others cannot, as their reasons are their own.

Because of inconsiderate and hypocritical jackasses like me who complain about ad hominems while in the same sentence subtly tossing insults.

Seriously though, because both sides think the other side is pernicious but conveniently ignore, or consider as anomalous, the exact same behavior when it happens just as frequently on their side of the isle. It's called projection.

But I've found square, reasoned, and enthusiastic political conversation here quite frequently.

And then you wonder why I call you a retard.

Go !@#$ yourself you piece of ****.

Edited by meazza

Believe it or not if does happen here from time to time.

It never happens here, however, when someone with no history in PPP comes in with the attitude of setting everyone straight in 3 sentences with their elightened and erudite world view.

It never happens here, however, when someone with no history in PPP comes in with the attitude of setting everyone straight in 3 sentences with their elightened and erudite world view.

I have had fairly "normal" discussions with some people here about things we disagree on. Rob's House w/ insurance most recently but a few other things in the past as well.

Edited by TheNewBills

Troll reply:

Because picking on the intellectually weak is fun.

Real reply:

Because picking on the intellectually weak is....necessary? For fun, and other reasons.

Look most of us do this because we can. Many of us do this because it's fun. Some of us do this because we are sadistic, masochistic, or worse, looking for attention/trying to be seen as "more moral and compassionate" :rolleyes:(Edit: and have made the choice to come to an obscure politics board on a football board for that affirmation). A few of us do this because we are unwilling to let blatant lies/distortions/logical flaws go by. Fewer still do it purely for the free reign to insult people. But they, along with the "the only purpose I serve on this board is to be the human RSS interface for DailyKos and Huffington Post" posters are banned sooner or later.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I was warned very early on that when joining this board and spending time in the PPP section, mostly you will be treated like ****.

Meh, its a message board, and I like discussing Politics.... If being called a Retard, Idiot or Moron hurts your feelings, this is not the place to be.... LOL

I was warned very early on that when joining this board and spending time in the PPP section, mostly you will be treated like ****.

Meh, its a message board, and I like discussing Politics.... If being called a Retard, Idiot or Moron hurts your feelings, this is not the place to be.... LOL

The OP has thin skin.

Edited by meazza

I have had fairly "normal" discussions with some people here about things we disagree on. Rob's House w/ insurance most recently but a few other things in the past as well.

I'm not referring to you. Just a general observation, I don't recall anything about the tone of your introductory posts.

The gay marriage, Trayvon and facebook threads have a few prime examples of what I'm alluding to.

this last paragraph makes you sounds like a big kitty....... :w00t:

LOL

I'm not referring to you. Just a general observation, I don't recall anything about the tone of your introductory posts.

The gay marriage, Trayvon and facebook threads have a few prime examples of what I'm alluding to.

Oh, and I thought you were talking about me. Bummer. :D