2005 NFL Free Agents

2005 NFL Free Agents

Anything strike your fancy? To me, my offseason goals would be:

1) Re-sign Pat Williams and Marcus Price

2) Replace Jonas Jennings with Tra Thomas/Orlando Pace/Walter Jones/Kareem McKenzie (all are UFAs, hopefully we can lure one to Buffalo).

3) Sign Bubba Franks

Then draft a CB in the first day as insurance in case Clements decides to bolt in 2006 and we should be set for a SB run. I'd also love to see our 2nd rounder be used on Mike Nugent, who I think could really complete this team.

I want to re-sign Jonas for O-line continuity.  Pace & Jones are too expensive.

185846[/snapback]

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I agree. If Jennings can be brought back for a decent price, I think he should be. Chances our they couldn't get a replacement for the same talent to cost.

Bubba Franks would be huge.

BTW, Charles Woodson is an UFA. I know he is too expensive, but could you imagine our defense with him! My god, we would be the scariest defense in years!

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I agree.  If Jennings can be brought back for a decent price, I think he should be.  Chances our they couldn't get a  replacement for the same talent to cost.

Bubba Franks would be huge. 

BTW, Charles Woodson is an UFA.  I know he is too expensive, but could you imagine our defense with him!  My god, we would be the scariest defense in years!

185852[/snapback]

I thought I read that Woodson retired today.

any desire to replace jonas jennings with a "big name" player past his prime is pure ignorance of the facts. Jonas has surrendered FEWER sacks than ANY LT in the game. We're talking purely his mistakes. Sacks between the LT/LG gap wouldn't count if the LT had his man wide. JOnas is one of the most athletic, smartest young LTs in the game. He was a major find by Donahoe and Co. in the 3rd round.

I would want JOnas extended more than I'd want to pay MORE for O. Pace, who hasn't played up to his 1999-2000 seasons that created his "name". And Walter Jones? Yes, he's good, but what makes you think he'd WANT to play in Buffalo? What makes you think that 31 other teams will have no interest in him? Jonas WANTS to be a Bill. He deserves a good contract. He gets a lot of unfair criticism for having suffered a few injuries, but the truth his he has played through as many tough injuries as anyone on the line. He's precisely the type of LT you want to lock up long term:

1. he hasn't been to the probowl but has probowl ability

2. he hasn't suffered any major injury that has kept him out for a long duration

3. he's young

4. he's smart

5. he wants to be a bill

6. he has a lot of established relationships on the team

7. he knows the offense and the calls

etc.

Jonas WANTS to be a Bill.

186035[/snapback]

What makes you say this? As I understood it, Bills offered him a contract extension in preseason and he turned it down. I figure he's looking for relatively big money, which he's certainly not worth if he's constantly injured. Still, if they could get him for a good price, then I'd bring him back.

You know the Bills are in good shape, with just Pat W and Jennings the only key players that are UFA's. I think Pat W can be signed reasonably and I would think he wants to stay here with his auto detailing business. Jennings is a tough one. In my mind, he is like a slightly better than average LT who fights injury problems. So I would not want to spend a lot of money on him. Still, to upgrade the position to a Pace or Jones would cost a fortune in cap space. This is where Tom D gets to show his football smarts

You know the Bills are in good shape, with just Pat W and Jennings the only key players that are UFA's.  I think Pat W can be signed reasonably and I would think he wants to stay here with his auto detailing business.  Jennings is a tough one.  In my mind, he is like a slightly better than average LT who fights injury problems.  So I would not want to spend a lot of money on him.  Still, to upgrade the position to a Pace or Jones would cost a fortune in cap space.  This is where Tom D gets to show his football smarts

186065[/snapback]

I agree with this entirely, but I hope TD's football smarts at LT are better than what we've seen at RT (i.e. Williams).

What makes you say this?  As I understood it, Bills offered him a contract extension in preseason and he turned it down.  I figure he's looking for relatively big money, which he's certainly not worth if he's constantly injured.  Still, if they could get him for a good price, then I'd bring him back.

186059[/snapback]

he said it himself this week. go to bb.com and listen to the jonas jennings interview.

Slim pickings in the TE category, folks. I hope our boys' knees get healthy for next season. Franks will fetch good money in that market. That cupboard is bare. I see a lot of old, slow players who don't catch balls very well. Those 2 ACLs in one game were strange, flukey, and they most likely changed our offseason/draft strategy.

Pat Williams will be let go unless he agrees to sign at below market, Ron Edwards can be groomed to take his place. Jonas Jennings is a toss up, and likely falls into the hands of Jennings. I'm sure they will extend a fair offer to him, but with the emergence of Mike Williams, he could be moved to Left tackle, and either replace right tackle through the Draft, or through free agency. Clements will get a contract extension after this season, no doubt in my mind. He's slowly emerging as one of the top corners in the league, he will most likeley be locked up for a minimum of 5yrs. I think they knew Clements was going to be their future shutdown corner, hence the release of Winfield.

he said it himself this week. go to bb.com and listen to the jonas jennings interview.

186073[/snapback]

He also said he wants to go play with Peerless and Vick in his hometown of Atlanta. Granted he said this in the summer, but the feelings are still there i bet...