Recovering: Who is most important to Bills success this season?

Most Needed?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Several players ended the season injured. While the off-season provided a lot of excitement and hope, these IR guys have to be back for the team to be successful. So who do you think is most critical for the team to succeed this year? Rate and comment.

• Kyle Williams
    • Terrence McGee
    • Fred Jackson
    • Donald Jones
    • Shawn Merriman
    • Marcus Easley
    • Stevie Johnson
    • Eric Wood
    • Kraig Urbik
    • Torell Troup

I think a big question(s) for the Bills success this season is: How well do Merriman, Williams, Easley, Jones, Wood, McGee, Urbik, Fred X, etc., come back from their injuries. If all, or most of these guys recover and return to 100% = it could be a special season. If not, it could be very disappointing after all the build-up.

My priorities:

1 - K Williams

2 - S Johnson

3 - E Wood

4 - F Jackson

5 - M Easley

And Merriman would be a big bonus if he can contribute anything.

Edited by CSBill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my list:

1- Kyle because thats one more double team and one more fat guy plugging the middle

2- Steve because Fitz needs to throw to someone

3- Eric so our line is that much better

4- Fred because a one two punch will help Fitz manage the game

5- Easley becuase it might be an easier road to a #2 receiver

I wasn't sure if I should add Merriman or not. I think we'll be fine if he doesn't make it but if we get him back to where he plays all season that's one more guy that the other team will have to double because he'll be able to get in the back field if he has to face one guy.

If Kyle, Mario, Marcell, Mark, and Shawne come on a blitz, it would be beast. All those guys need a double team and that would be 10 guys. Takes up everyone on the offense that doesn't have the ball to start the play. I would say they could only double team two and chip one, maybe two. If the QB doesn't see the blitz coming, he's screwed.

EDIT: Did not mean to do that, I swear. Great minds think alike, apparently. :D

Edited by Teen Insight

This list worries me because there are some really good, important players here. If ALL these guys start the season 100% healthy, we'll be off to a great start! But if some of them heal behind schedule, or never fully recover, we could struggle again this year.

Btw, I voted for FredEx. Despite CJ's good showing as his replacement, Fred was the catalyst of the offense last season when the offense was really rolling.

So what are your thoughts other than how great of a poll it is?

Well, if you're asking who I voted for it was Kyle. I think he is a monstrous vat of kinetic energy which spills over affecting those around him. This line being stirred up by KW foaming at the mouth is going to be really exciting to watch.

I guess I figured the original post wasn't asking for my version of the list but rather based on the posted poll which did I feel was the most important to the Bills success this season. In response, I cast my vote for Kyle.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

Has to be Wood. He's the only star on that line. Kyle is big too, but the line got a lot better this off season anyway. Stevie's injury wasn't significant so doesn't really count. Merriman hardly played and Easley's never played so they weren't missed and therefore their recovery isn't crucial.

I voted for Kyle also. I just think that if he and Dareus are at full strength and causing havoc in the middle, the rest of the Defense falls into place. Getting that push so QB's can't step up will make the job easier for everyone else.

I'd go with Wood on offense, followed closely by Freddy.

Need to add Mario Williams as he was IR'ed last season as well and is the biggest addition to the team.

I voted Kyle and Freddy, trying to keep it down to 1 from each side of the ball.

good point, but a little off the intent, really focusing on returning players

Here's my list:

1- Kyle because thats one more double team and one more fat guy plugging the middle

2- Steve because Fitz needs to throw to someone

3- Eric so our line is that much better

4- Fred because a one two punch will help Fitz manage the game

5- Easley becuase it might be an easier road to a #2 receiver

I wasn't sure if I should add Merriman or not. I think we'll be fine if he doesn't make it but if we get him back to where he plays all season that's one more guy that the other team will have to double because he'll be able to get in the back field if he has to face one guy.

If Kyle, Mario, Marcell, Mark, and Shawne come on a blitz, it would be beast. All those guys need a double team and that would be 10 guys. Takes up everyone on the offense that doesn't have the ball to start the play. I would say they could only double team two and chip one, maybe two. If the QB doesn't see the blitz coming, he's screwed.

EDIT: Did not mean to do that, I swear. Great minds think alike, apparently. :D

indeed, great minds :thumbsup:

Has to be Wood. He's the only star on that line. Kyle is big too, but the line got a lot better this off season anyway. Stevie's injury wasn't significant so doesn't really count. Merriman hardly played and Easley's never played so they weren't missed and therefore their recovery isn't crucial.

To be honest I dont really get all the votes for Wood. He plays a position that really doesn't have a huge importance. He hasn't played a full season since he was drafted and we've had guys plugged in at C that have done just fine. Also, Levitre is much more of a "star" on the o-line than Wood is at this point.

I think it has to be Freddy. He does it all for this team and as much as I like Spiller, he just don't have the same versatility and experience yet.

Edited by Billsrhody

1. Stevie - Who else is there at WR? He is our receiving corps, and he is a damn good one.

2. Wood - The center may be the second most important position in football (ask Jim Kelly, and he will sing Kent's name). He is nearly #1 on my list.

3. "Head" - He is so consistent and so good he still rises this high even with another legit starting-caliber RB behind him.

4. Kyle - Even though our D could still be dominate without him, the D can be truly great with him.

5. Easley/Jones - We need a #2 WR.

Edited by scribo

To be honest I dont really get all the votes for Wood. He plays a position that really doesn't have a huge importance. He hasn't played a full season since he was drafted and we've had guys plugged in at C that have done just fine. Also, Levitre is much more of a "star" on the o-line than Wood is at this point.

I think it has to be Freddy. He does it all for this team and as much as I like Spiller, he just don't have the same versatility and experience yet.

Actually, Center is the key position on the line. The Bills offense going south last year had much to do with Wood going out. I do not agree that anyone they plugged in at center "did just fine". It was an absolute disaster for the most part. The bleeding was stopped to some degree when Colin Brown took over late in the year, but this is a far better team with Wood at Center.

You could not be more wrong. Center can be as important as any position other than the quarterback. And as someone posted a link about earlier this week, Wood flies under the radar but he is one of the best centers in all of football.

I voted Wood. Believe is our best player on line, and center calls all the line calls. Think our line needs to stay healthy this year, especially Wood's if our offense is going to stay consistent throughout the year. Course someone capably filling the LT spot is just as important, whoever wins that position. Although I wouldn't like to see any of them hurt, they are all good players.

Edited by rstencel

Actually, Center is the key position on the line. The Bills offense going south last year had much to do with Wood going out. I do not agree that anyone they plugged in at center "did just fine". It was an absolute disaster for the most part. The bleeding was stopped to some degree when Colin Brown took over late in the year, but this is a far better team with Wood at Center.

So would you rather have a pro bowl LT or a pro bowl C? I disagree that C is the key position on the line. Of course you'd rather have a good player there than a bad one, but the drop off is less noticeable than if you lost one of the other line positions.

Also.. can you name the C for the giants? You can win championships without a good C...

Edited by Billsrhody