Vince Young interview…

When I read the transcript, I didn't get as round an impression as I did watching the video, so thanks SJBF for the heads up. Watching him speak, I got the impression that he isn't defensive about who he is or where he is at, and that he accepts his role as a backup, now.

That said, he's been on top, and some of the eye rolling motion that he gives, makes me believe that he still has glory in the back of his mind. He's still hungry, but he seems to realize that he has to do work personally.

From the sound and looks of it, Buffalo is a great situation for Vince Young at this point in his career, and could prove to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for him personally, if not for Buffalo as a team.

I have a lot of sympathy for him, because I've learned over the years that what you put into a job is what you will get out of a job, and the fact that Vince is working hard and doing his best now, without his ego getting in the way, should serve him well in the future.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The catbird seat" was a poor choice of words by me. I think he's in a comfortable position relative to other times in his NFL career. And actually it's because he's being given the benefit of the doubt by the Bills organization and a good portion of the Bills nation. Backing up Fitz isn't quite the same as backing up Vick in Philly with their current expectations. He has all summer to study and acclimate, just more breathing room.

Got it - you mean "a comfortable situation", good support from the team and the fans, and less expectations/scrutiny? I agree there.

Fitz seems like the kind of guy who tries to make everyone feel comfortable so I'm sure Vince will get any help he asks for with learning the system.

One thing I've wondered about is if there's any chance Vince will be able to help Fitz mentally, because of Young's "big time" win background. I think injuries, lack of depth, broken ribs, and a crummy D were far more significant to the Bill's 2nd half free-fall last year, but I do kind of wonder if there was an element of "oh sh**! now we're expected to win every week!" to the Bills plummet. I got the impression that Fitz, and the team as a whole, kind of thrived on the "scrappy underdog" role and choked a little bit at the top.

Kind of like those cartoon characters that stroll off the top of the building and walk on air just fine - until they look down and realize how high they are.

Got it - you mean "a comfortable situation", good support from the team and the fans, and less expectations/scrutiny? I agree there.

Fitz seems like the kind of guy who tries to make everyone feel comfortable so I'm sure Vince will get any help he asks for with learning the system.

One thing I've wondered about is if there's any chance Vince will be able to help Fitz mentally, because of Young's "big time" win background. I think injuries, lack of depth, broken ribs, and a crummy D were far more significant to the Bill's 2nd half free-fall last year, but I do kind of wonder if there was an element of "oh sh**! now we're expected to win every week!" to the Bills plummet. I got the impression that Fitz, and the team as a whole, kind of thrived on the "scrappy underdog" role and choked a little bit at the top.

Kind of like those cartoon characters that stroll off the top of the building and walk on air just fine - until they look down and realize how high they are.

Fitz doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd care how high up he was, seems more like a "well, one step at a time" kind of guy.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, and of course, I don't know him personally so I could be wrong.

In my opinion VY was diagnosed with BPD at some time in the past http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

which is actually pretty treatable in some lesser cases. I hope he works out, he does seem like he will try to fit in and hope he gets an opportunity. I was not very much in favor of bringing him in but if that was what Buddy (I don't really feel Chan liked it as much) and Chan want to try to do. I trust that they know what they are doing and hope for the best. The guy is a Bill now so he gets my 100% full support until he unearns it. BTW Brandon Marshall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Marshall has been diagnosed with it (and I had an ex who I firmly believe had it).

Edited by bowery4

"The catbird seat" was a poor choice of words by me.

I didn't think so. In fact I thought it was genius!

He knows he's here as the #2 no questions asked.

He acknowledges that you need to be ready because in this leaue anything can happen.

I expect Fitz to be more than serviceable this year. In fact I expect him to have a career year using the first half of last season as an example of what he can do. However if he gets hurt I expect Vince to come in and just light it up and take control of his career and that only benefits us.

Of course that scenario leads to qb controversy when (if injured) Fitz comes back. Then you have a problem. But I think it will have developed enough to prove itself not a Flutie Jhonson or Losman Edwards problem. One of these two guys is going to be our homerun.

Thank you

Go Bills

Go watch Fitz's interview then VY then Fitz again.

I didn't think so. In fact I thought it ("catbird seat") was genius!

He knows he's here as the #2 no questions asked.

He acknowledges that you need to be ready because in this league anything can happen.

I expect Fitz to be more than serviceable this year. In fact I expect him to have a career year using the first half of last season as an example of what he can do. However if he gets hurt I expect Vince to come in and just light it up and take control of his career and that only benefits us.

Fitz seems like a good man. However I've noticed a few things in the 3-4 interviews I've watched. He doesn't want to compete for the starting job. He's stated that he plays better and is able to make more confident throws when he's the undisputed starter. This is probably true for almost all QBs. In interviews he never fails to make a remark designed to ingratiate himself with the "great unwashed" of Buffalo. I think he wants to be the fan's choice and not the elite big brain from Harvard. The flannel shirts at Walmart remark is a pretty pointed effort in this regard, but there is something like this in almost every extended interview I've seen.

Fitz would be a more effective leader of the team itself, if he beat out the QB competition in practice and games. If Vince is sitting in the "catbird seat" (which I took back because it sounds overly predatory) this is why. Despite what you have read Vince is actually an outstanding leader when it comes to inspiring teammates and leading football teams to victories.

Actually the best thing that Fitz could do for himself is to put on the Dan Fouts' MFIC hat. He's got the beard for it. There was a bit of this in his last interview when he displayed a lot of confidence in his ability to read Ds. Fitz needs to win the first game of the 2012 season, then take this team over and start driving/riding his teammates, including Vince. That's the best thing he can do for himself.

Edited by caracara

This has nothing to do with analyzing Vince Young, it is just a thought. Could Brad Smith be the odd man out at QB? Smith was brought in to run the wildcat. Doesn't Young give you way more options running the wildcat?

He knows his role...To compete with Thigpen, or just fart in Thigpens direction and be the #2 QB because thats the talent equivalent of the 2. Unfortunately for him it takes more than talent to be a starting QB in this league, He's shown that he has matured in the since that he's not running his mouth about being the starter or competing for the starting job because in the back of his mind he has to be thinking that if he can sh*t together he can have a real shot. We all love Fitzs' character, leadership and guts but whether we admit it or not Vince is the more talented of the 2, but like I said before it takes more than talent, if Vince can grow as a player and soak up some of what Fitz has mentally and add it to what he has physically he could be something. I have a hard time believing after watching some of the things he did at Texas that he doesn't have the heart and desire to play this game. I

I don't disagree that Vince is a more talented QB than Fitz - physically. The thing is, in this league, what makes a QB great - actually, just about every single excellent QB in the NFL, and there are some 12 or so who are really quality Franchise QB's, all possess this attribute - INTELLIGENCE. More than just intelligence, even, because look at Trent Edwards. He was smart, but he couldn't keep it together on the NFL field. A QB has to understand the offense, know where the ball should go, he's got to be able to read a defense, get into the head of a defensive coordinator and get a feel for where the defense is trying to attack, or what it is trying to do to him, and he's got to be able to process all that in something like 10 to 20 seconds, 3 to 7 of which are while the bodies are flying all around him, and he's got to be able to maintain a presence of mind to get the ball out and in the right place.

Now, if a QB can do all that mentally, he doesn't have to have the best arm. Even if he's only accurate 75 percent of the time, he'll still be able to lead a functional offense, and even a good one. But, on the other hand, if a QB has all the physical tools to throw the ball anywhere, but he can't determine where the appropriate place to throw it is, or if he can't handle the pressure, then it is all for nothing.

That is the real competition here. If Vince Young were to really grasp the offense enough to make smart reads and if he were able to pick up on reading defenses, then he could be a starter for probably 23 or 24 teams in the NFL, including Buffalo. But, if Fitz improves his mechanics, and brings the erratic throws and interceptions down considerably, then he'll be a premier QB, as well, and Vince will only get a chance if Fitz gets injured. This is all in the head for Vince, and we can't judge whether or not he is matured or different until there is adversity in his face, until he has to handle stuff that is difficult or situations he doesn't want, and then we'll see. I'm hoping he turns it around here in Buffalo, and that the Bills have two top QB's to turn to. Vince, with Lee's play scheming, could be very dangerous 5-10 plays a game.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Fitz seems like a good man. However I've noticed a few things in the 3-4 interviews I've watched. He doesn't want to compete for the starting job. He's stated that he plays better and is able to make more confident throws when he's the undisputed starter. This is probably true for almost all QBs. In interviews he never fails to make a remark designed to ingratiate himself with the "great unwashed" of Buffalo. I think he wants to be the fan's choice and not the elite big brain from Harvard. The flannel shirts at Walmart remark is a pretty pointed effort in this regard, but there is something like this in almost every extended interview I've seen.

Fitz would be a more effective leader of the team itself, if he beat out the QB competition in practice and games. If Vince is sitting in the "catbird seat" (which I took back because it sounds overly predatory) this is why. Despite what you have read Vince is actually an outstanding leader when it comes to inspiring teammates and leading football teams to victories.

Actually the best thing that Fitz could do for himself is to put on the Dan Fouts' MFIC hat. He's got the beard for it. There was a bit of this in his last interview when he displayed a lot of confidence in his ability to read Ds. Fitz needs to win the first game of the 2012 season, then take this team over and start driving/riding his teammates, including Vince. That's the best thing he can do for himself.

Astute observations, well written. Post more - we need your intelligence around here.

Thanks, BillnutinH-town. Just to be straight up, I'm a big VY fan, not that objective, and I think he should be starting in the NFL, but since his signing in Buffalo I've come to really respect the organization, and fans on this board (most of them). I'd love to see a Bills resurgence and a Lombardi Trophy in Buffalo. No city deserves it more. There needs to be a playoff game in Buffalo this year, 2012. I hope Vince can contribute to that somehow, even in a small way. Go Bills!

You bring a good point and that is really the scariest thing. Fitz doesn't have a 16 game season. He has an 8 game season.

The schedule is backloaded for a November December Run. They can be 3-5 and still finish 11-6.

So if the team is 3-5 and VY is working hard in practice, what is going to happen then?

You can wear the MFIC hat all you want, if you don't get Ws that hat is going to get blown away real quick.

Since you mention the MFIC hat:

Edited by Why So Serious?

Fitz doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd care how high up he was, seems more like a "well, one step at a time" kind of guy.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, and of course, I don't know him personally so I could be wrong.

The thing is, it's not just about whether you care. The media cares and there's orders of magnitude more scrutiny and attention once the team starts winning.

That has to be an issue to deal with, mentally and in terms of sheer time management and avoiding distraction, no matter how even-keeled a guy is by nature.

Young has certainly "been there, dealt with that" both for better and for worse.

Fitz was a significant winner in high school and at Hahvahd (undefeated his Sr year) - and in the Ivy Leagues, the fencing team gets just about as much

You bring a good point and that is really the scariest thing. Fitz doesn't have a 16 game season. He has an 8 game season.

The Organs of Generalization around here have really run amok.

Pop Quiz: How many 16 game seasons has Fitz played?

If you want to get all scaredy on the basis of (your answer here), be my guest!

VY is a terrific athlete , on the short list for best best athlete at his position. Fitz is not. VY is highly decorated, runner up in heisman, BCS winner , 1st round pick (3rd overall), winning record as starter in nfl, offensive rookie of year, 2x Pro bowl . Fitz? none of the above. Issue with VY has been maturity. With how he's handling the press these days id say he grown up a lot, like a real pro now there too. VY will be the starter, just a matter of when at this point

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

VY is a terrific athlete , on the short list for best best athlete at his position. Fitz is not. VY is highly decorated, runner up in heisman, BCS winner , 1st round pick (3rd overall), winning record as starter in nfl, offensive rookie of year, 2x Pro bowl . Fitz? none of the above. Issue with VY has been maturity. With how he's handling the press these days id say he grown up a lot, like a real pro now there too. VY will be the starter, just a matter of when at this point

When? When Fitz can't do the job better!

Nice post, very eloquently written, and there seem to be a couple of misapprehensions here.

Fitz IS the undisputed starter. He competed for the starting job, he won it scrambling and taking hits and sparking the team to "put the scare on" the Ravens, and since then, it's his. He doesn't need to win the first game to show this, I'm sure he wants to beat the Jets though. He doesn't need to take the team over, that's already (quietly) been done. Thigpen came in last year talking about "competing for the starting job" and after training camp he said "it's Fitz's team right now, that's very clear".

There are different ways to lead, and Fitz isn't a "drive your teammates" kind of leader. Whether or not he'd be better if he was, moot point - he is who he is.

The starter gets more reps and more time in practice. I can see no reason why it would make Fitz more effective to divide the snaps and time with the "ones" in a "quarterback competition". (I can see why Vince Young would benefit from that). I don't see Gailey creating that situation. 2 years ago, Chan chose the QB who was better in camp and in practice, and learned he wasn't better on Sunday. Even if VY looked better in camp and in practice, Gailey will look at VY record with the Iggles as representing gameday performance his 1st year with a new system and say "hmmmmmm" .

I have not heard the comment "(Fitz)'s stated that he plays better and is able to make more confident throws when he's the undisputed starter.", and I watch and listen to every Fitz interview since he's been in B'lo. I think that may be a subtle misremembering or misquote of something he said that alters the meaning. Several of FItz's best career games, just lighting the place up throwing, were coming in as the backup with the team way behind, (including his first NFL game, in StL - still remembered, set records). It would be kind of a strange statement for him to make in the face of his game logs. However, I think it is true that any QB benefits from more practice and more attention from the QB coach and more time with the "ones" and likely that leads to more confidence.

I am pulling for Vince with all my heart to succeed if he enters a game in B'lo and to rescue his career, because he's insanely physically talented and maybe he didn't get a fair shake or good coaching in Tenn. Let's not get off the rails here going from wishing VY the best, to postulating somehow it would be better for Fitz (and by implication the Bills) to create a QB competition or prosing about VY's "outstanding leader" capabilities when that isn't the "noise" around the league. The "noise" may be wrong - I hope it is. Right now VY needs to show leadership by accepting his role as the backup, learning the Bills offense, and supporting Fitz. In no way would it benefit Fitzpatrick or the Bills to create a "QB competition" and divide up the practice time and the coaching attention.

Minor point: I don't think Fitz is trying to "ingratiate himself" with any "great unwashed". By all accounts, it's part of who he is to try to find something in common with everyone and he's been like that since Harvard. He wears t-shirts and jeans and throws Sunday potlucks for his neighborhood. Attending an Ivy League school doesn't make one a Brady-like preppy snob; Fitz went to Hahvahd as a kid from a working family in 'Zona (a member of the "great unwashed", and that's who he stayed. You can disagree with me if you like, that's cool. The Walmart flannel shirts thing was "over the top" to me because living in the midwest, I have a love-hate relationship with Walmart (the killer of Main Street USA). In fairness, I have a number of friends who claim Walmart makes the best flannel shirts and they prefer them to any others.

I agree Joe, maturity was one of the biggest problems, that along with Jeff Fisher trying to turn VY into something he's not, which is your typical pocket QB. VY is a very gifted athlete that has been given a golden opportunity now to play under a coaching staff that will taylor fit the Offense to Youngs skill set. Vince will also be able to work under a highly intelligent veteran QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick who will also help in the mentoring process. Its a win, win situation

Best case scenario is VY gets a chance to watch on the sidelines for at least a full season, but one day this will be Vince Youngs Football team in my opinion.

I agree Joe, maturity was one of the biggest problems, that along with Jeff Fisher trying to turn VY into something he's not, which is your typical pocket QB. VY is a very gifted athlete that has been given a golden opportunity now to play under a coaching staff that will taylor fit the Offense to Youngs skill set. Vince will also be able to work under a highly intelligent veteran QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick who will also help in the mentoring process. Its a win, win situation

Best case scenario is VY gets a chance to watch on the sidelines for at least a full season, but one day this will be Vince Youngs Football team in my opinion.

Um...why would Chan and the coaching staff tailor-fit the offense to Young's skill set when he isn't the starter? Wouldn't it make more sense to tailor the offense to Fitzpatrick's skill set? And actually, what's the evidence from last season that Chan actually tailored the offense for Fitz, or showed flexibility to change the offense mid-season? IMO he acted like he had Rodgers or Brees under center, even after Fitz got speared in the ribs and couldn't breathe - pass pass pass pass pass pass pass.

And why would this "one day be VY's football team" when he's signed to a one-year contract? We get all stressed about not having our starters like Levitre and Byrd locked up for more than this year, let alone our "planned Man at QB". That would be very poor planning on the part of our FO if your and Jt6P's opinions are correct, piss poor planning in fact if they have any notions in this direction. You got a guy you think might be your long term starter, you want him locked up before he shows anything other teams may want, or your team's pocketbooks are in deep kim-chee.

Something doesn't compute here with this happy strategy y'all are outlining. Just sayin'

Edited by Hopeful

This is a golden opportunity for VY from a coaching perspective, I think he realizes as much, and it could turn out to be a golden opportunity for the Buffalo Bills somewhere down the line. I also expect Chan Gailey to make use of VY this season.

It will not surprise me to see VY get a handful of plays, much the way Gailey began phasing Kordell Stewart into the game years ago...

NOOOOOOOOOO! This is how QB controversies get started. I do like the idea of him as the backup over Thigpen though (subject to his play in camp/preseason of course).

This has nothing to do with analyzing Vince Young, it is just a thought. Could Brad Smith be the odd man out at QB? Smith was brought in to run the wildcat. Doesn't Young give you way more options running the wildcat?

This makes a lot of sense to me but still cracks the door open to controversy. With all of the WR prospects we have (granted, other than Stevie none jump out as studs but they do seem to be NFL caliber) would we really need Smith at WR? With VY playing the wildcat position we would upgrade the pass potential (I don't recall Smith even completing a pass in it) and we could keep a better WR. The only thing I'm not sure about is if VY is considered the backup QB can we bring him in before the 4th quarter and still put Fitz back in? Could we get around it by just listing him as a WR and throw him out at that position in the wildcat every once in a while? The down side of this (other than possible controversy) is that VY would be a downgrade to Smith's run ability. Let's face it, the wildcat is 95% run and Smith seemed to have a knack for squeeking through for the 1st down. Okay, I think I just talked myself out of this too. :unsure:

Edited by UpperDeck