USMNT

That's awesome news about the Pan-Am Cup. Hopefully it will become a permanent fixture. I could see it becoming a major event, on par with the Euro Cup.

USA vs. Brazil tomorrow night. Should be very interesting.

Heck yeah, if all of the S.American teams are in then it could have some serious staying power...if it were just CONCACAF then probably not huge interest but you through Argentina, Brazil, the "guays", etc into the mix then that takes the thing to a whole new level. I'm stoked.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in trouble...Brazil has some guy named "Hulk" starting at right forward! :o

I'm loving this attendance...they filled the place out against the Scots, and they are reporting over 70,000 in attendance at fedEx field tonight for Brazil :thumbsup:

LET'S GO BOYS!!!

Damn those Brazilians! I'm actually going to call this match a 3-2 loss. The PK goal after the Gooch hand ball was BS...and then there was another opportunity where the ball pulled a "magic bullet" right in front of the mouth of the goal and didn't go in...so that gives us two scores. Most of the first half was just pathetic on defense. We would have been better off just playing it back to the keeper and then running under the punt or something, cause we had no answer for Brazil's "full court press" type of play. What matters most in a friendly against this team isn't the win, though, it's whether or not we can create and take advantage of scoring chances. That's what I was looking for more than anything else, and even though the team was flat and sloppy for a lot of the match, we DID create more of the sort of chances that we could not create in the past against Brazil. They're clearly the better team, even when they're playing most of their young guns like Nemar, but I don't consider that loss as much of a disaster as the score would indicate. They may have even taken Brazil a bit lightly after the match vs Scotland., I dunno...but how they respond to this will be a good indication of where the team stands. A set back here and there is a healthy thing for this team.

Edited by ajzepp

Is it just me or are there a bunch of new terms for soccer that I do not remember?

I'm sure you have many new terms for soccer :)

I'm sure you have many new terms for soccer :)

Not busting chops but I grew up in the suburbs with soccer fields everywhere. Played 4 years, too. I never heard soccer pitch until I was 20something and all these other terms. I think the US soccer phase is passing on to LAX.

The handball on Gooch was a pretty weak call.

However his lack of defense on the corner kick was terrible.

Again it is a team game and the US team did make some good attacks.

The Brazillian keeper played an A+ match.

Not busting chops but I grew up in the suburbs with soccer fields everywhere. Played 4 years, too. I never heard soccer pitch until I was 20something and all these other terms. I think the US soccer phase is passing on to LAX.

I don't know if this is a possible explanation, but one thing I have noticed is how American soccer culture is less on an island and more adopting of the Euro culture, so I think a lot of the terms pertaining to the sport is a result of the American audience having greater exposure to the Euro and/or world soccer culture and becoming more indocrinated into it. I even find myself using terms that are more typical of the Euriopean side of things simply because I watch far more coverage of the euro clubs and euro events.

The handball on Gooch was a pretty weak call.

However his lack of defense on the corner kick was terrible.

Again it is a team game and the US team did make some good attacks.

The Brazillian keeper played an A+ match.

Yep, I think that Gooch's size worked against him there. He's the biggest dude on the field and as the announcers said, there's only so many places he can put his arms. Clearly it wasn't intentional, and to give them a PK was BS. I do think you're right about his play on the corner, as well. I also don't know wtf Howard was doing, cause if you watch his movements he sort of dives to his left for no reason. He took himself out of the line of the header and I can't figure out why. He had a defender to his left already, and the angle he was at was alreayd appropriate to defend the ball. I don't know if he thought the ball would carry to the Brazilian who was more in the center of the goal or what and he didn't expect the head to begin with, but he could have stopped that shot.

It really is amazing the level of talent on this Brazil team, including the keeper...I loved how the announcer said, "to Brazil, there is no such thing as a friendly..." indicating how important EVERY match is to their country...they're just on a totally different level than we are, BUT, we're moving in the right direction.

...I think a lot of the terms pertaining to the sport is a result of the American audience having greater exposure to the Euro and/or world soccer culture and becoming more indocrinated into it. I even find myself using terms that are more typical of the Euriopean side of things simply because I watch far more coverage of the euro clubs and euro events.

Yup. I recently caught myself referring to a good fast-paced game as “a rather incendiary fixture.”

It's due to the growth in soccer's popularity that you hear pitch, kit, boots, and keeper more than field, uniform, cleats, and goalie. People are watching a lot more games and getting used to the UK terms.

Yup. I recently caught myself referring to a good fast-paced game as “a rather incendiary fixture.”

:lol:

Every time I see this thread title, I think it has something to do with the US Marine Corp hiring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

LOL

That's awesome news about the Pan-Am Cup. Hopefully it will become a permanent fixture. I could see it becoming a major event, on par with the Euro Cup.

USA vs. Brazil tomorrow night. Should be very interesting.

4-1 result to Brazil.. bummer

Anyone know if tonight's game will be on TV in the USA?

Edited by ldandria

Ha soccer. I saw a neighbor playing soccer with his kids. I thought, hmm...he should just show them how to sew dresses!

On a serious note; is the US Olympic team decided yet? I ask because that's probably when I will start watching a little more of it.

Ha soccer. I saw a neighbor playing soccer with his kids. I thought, hmm...he should just show them how to sew dresses!

On a serious note; is the US Olympic team decided yet? I ask because that's probably when I will start watching a little more of it.

I smell a set-up! :ph34r:

I smell a set-up! :ph34r:

Being serious. When will it get down to players I will see competing for the US? Maybe I am just confused because all I ever see on ESPN is talk about a friendly vs. XYZ country and a certain player did not play for a certain reason. I wasn't sure if this was like the basketball team and they're waiting to really narrow it all down.

Being serious. When will it get down to players I will see competing for the US? Maybe I am just confused because all I ever see on ESPN is talk about a friendly vs. XYZ country and a certain player did not play for a certain reason. I wasn't sure if this was like the basketball team and they're waiting to really narrow it all down.

I'm pretty sure the boys didn't qualify for the Olympics this year, IIRC.