NFL announces major changes for 2013: extended Trade Dealine

I love these changes. 2 more weeks added to the Trade Deadline -from week 6 to week 8, 1 player per team can be brought off IR after week 8 and the original look of a football player is back with mandatory knee and thigh pads. With all the new materials available, these pads really don't weigh a player down or slow their speed. Plus, as it's mandatory, everybody is on equal footing. Im not sure what injuries they may prevent, but I'm glad to see these pads return - if only for the 'look'.

Thoughts?

I don't understand the knee and thigh pad thing. When I heard equiptment change I thought concussion helmet. Especially given the climate of the league currently. I think it is a waste of time to talk about knee pads at the owners meeting. It's as if the current state of affairs in the nfl doesn't exist

I love these changes. 2 more weeks added to the Trade Deadline -from week 6 to week 8, 1 player per team can be brought off IR after week 8 and the original look of a football player is back with mandatory knee and thigh pads. With all the new materials available, these pads really don't weigh a player down or slow their speed. Plus, as it's mandatory, everybody is on equal footing. Im not sure what injuries they may prevent, but I'm glad to see these pads return - if only for the 'look'.

Thoughts?

I don't understand the knee and thigh pad thing. When I heard equiptment change I thought concussion helmet. Especially given the climate of the league currently. I think it is a waste of time to talk about knee pads at the owners meeting. It's as if the current state of affairs in the nfl doesn't exist

I'd bet they think this will cut down on concussions due to leg hits to helmets. I buy it FWIW.

Like the IR rule change. I never really understood putting a player on IR when there is a chance that they could play at the end of the year. It's not like the player they replace him with is going to be a game changer.

Great news. I would like them to have all 53 players active on game days as well.

Like the IR rule change. I never really understood putting a player on IR when there is a chance that they could play at the end of the year. It's not like the player they replace him with is going to be a game changer.

Teams (most notably the Skins) would stash players on IR for the smallest of things. They'd tell a player "go get a concussion" and IR him for that. Then that player could practice with the team for awhile while they got him up to speed, or for the following season.

It is because there were teams which used to stash players on IR abusing system so they made it full year.

It is because there were teams which used to stash players on IR abusing system so they made it full year.

They should break the IR into two, an IR-with-no-return and an PUP list. Make the IR be a season ending thing. And a player in the PUP list with < 4 years of experience will be treated as a FA and other teams can sign him to their active roster. This will avoid stashing players on the PUP list.

I like the IR change. Maybe other teams do it too but it seems like the Bills would IR a guy for a minor injury that would only keep them out a few weeks just to open the roster spot. Troy Vincent and Kawika Mitchell are 2 names that come to mind. We ended up having to cut both of them because they were healed and ready to play before the end of the regular season. With this rule change we would not have had to do that. I wonder if the NFL would ever take it a step further and make it a little more like baseball. Something along the lines of having a 4 game DL, an 8 game DL, & season ending.

Quentin Jammer from the Charges has already come out and said he’ll take the fines before wearing the knee/thigh pads. Not sure what the big deal is. I know you may lose a tiny bit of speed with knee pads but it would be an equal playing field if everyone has to wear them and with technology today, they’d probably barely notice them. They wouldn’t be the thicker ones that most of us wore when we played. It would bring back some of that old school football player look. I do not think this will have any impact on concussions though. A knee to the side of the head will still have just about the same impact to the brain regardless of that thin little piece of padding.