Moorman being challenged

eball

I think Powell has to beat him out at two positions to keep the roster spot. Moorman has proven to be a reliable holder on FGs and PATs--Powell also held in College--but this will be about comfort with Lindell. Moorman probably has a slight edge here but it can be overcome.

In terms of pure punting ability and directional punting -- Powell, based on watching him play a bit in the ACC, is a very good young punter who can punt for distance and accuracy at the upper NFL level. I can't ever remember in 10 games or so of watching him seeing anything that resembled a shank. Very consistent. Love the way he uses the strategic Rugby punt....

Edited by JoeF

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell will be given a excellent chance to win the job... if he is consistant and shows he belongs he will stay with the Bills... Moorman as good as he is. is now 35 years old... He would most likely be picked up by another team if released... BUT Powell has to have a very good showing in the preseason... It is possible he could and the Bills would be all the better for it for Moormans days or years are numbered.... A great Bills player...

This kid is doomed for failure. Anyone who was trained by Greg Cater is in big trouble. Don't you remember that Greg Cater is the source for the popular phrase 'He catered it'! This refers to a 20 yard shank off the right side of the foot.

Seems to me this thread mirrors one from a different Bills Board about 11 years ago when Tom Donahue brought in an NFL Europe scrub that had failed to make Seattle's team 2 years running to challenge Chris Mohr.

At the end of camp Mohr was sent packing for this scrub named Brian Moorman in a decision many said the Bills would regret. 11 years later I doubt they regret it.

Seems to me this thread mirrors one from a different Bills Board about 11 years ago when Tom Donahue brought in an NFL Europe scrub that had failed to make Seattle's team 2 years running to challenge Chris Mohr.

At the end of camp Mohr was sent packing for this scrub named Brian Moorman in a decision many said the Bills would regret. 11 years later I doubt they regret it.

Are you really trying to equate Mohr and Moorman?

Mohr played for the Bills for 10 years.

He played professionally for 16 years.

I think TJs post was excellent.

Not so much as players, but as the current storyline goes, Yes. Buffalo was seen to be fine at punter with an aging Mohr who was replaced with a young gun in Moorman, a move that at the time many seemed to think was a mistake.

The question now is it Moorman's turn to be replaced. And for the record I believe Mohr was 34 when Moorman was brought in.

and thanks San Jose.

Edited by tjprime

Powell put 23 of 57 punts inside the 20 last year, or 40%. Over the past three seasons combined, Moorman is at 26% (62/237). During his heyday ('06-'08), Moorman was at 37% (86/232).

The signs of decline are clear.

This is huge, as it's one of DeHaven's priorities this year (a worse drive start for the opponent's offense). Even if Powell is Moorman's equal during preseason, we need to shop the older player around.

This is huge, as it's one of DeHaven's priorities this year (a worse drive start for the opponent's offense). Even if Powell is Moorman's equal during preseason, we need to shop the older player around.

Inside the 20 is kinda a BS stat, as a punter with a good offense that stalls at midfield more frequnetly will land in the 20 than a Trent Edwards offense that stalls at their own 20. The best stats way to judge a punter's effectiveness is net average, touchbacks, hang time, and the subjective idea of outkicking coverage. Aesthetically speaking, he hasn't hit the booming 70-80 yard punts lately, but not many can, however those can be more dangerous since he would outkick the coverage in the process. The stats do indicate that he had the best gross average of his career last year, but also had a high number of TB's, and a slightly below his career average net.

So, it is safe to say that his leg still has a bit left to it, but he needs to control the directional punting that much more.

I'm not sure stats are that important. I thinks it's timing and actual performance. When pinned deep in our zone does he a boom a big kick? When around mid-field can he kick out of bounds inside 10 yard line?

I agree. Plus, clears up some cap space, and could bring us a late round pick from some team desperate for a punter.

I think Powell has to beat him out at two positions to keep the roster spot. Moorman has proven to be a reliable holder on FGs and PATs--Powell also held in College--but this will be about comfort with Lindell. Moorman probably has a slight edge here but it can be overcome.

In terms of pure punting ability and directional punting -- Powell, based on watching him play a bit in the ACC, is a very good young punter who can punt for distance and accuracy at the upper NFL level. I can't ever remember in 10 games or so of watching him seeing anything that resembled a shank. Very consistent. Love the way he uses the strategic Rugby punt....

These are the tough realistic moments for those of us who are fans. Brian Moorman has been our one clear and consistent Pro-Bowl level player during the last ten years. We each have special moments that we remember his abilities running a fake punt but perhaps it has been his contributions to the Buffalo community that have made him a true Pro-Bowl quality person.

That being said ... he is 35 years old. Powell excelled in college. His punts are almost amazing especially with his collegiate ability for placement.

Our Buffalo Bills for the first time in recent memory are a team that will have to cut quality players because even better players are on the roster. This is definitely going to happen on our defense, perhaps on the offensive line, and some of us would say among the receiving corps. It also may result in a quality player and man named Brian Moorman finding himself playing for another team this year (I have no doubt that he better than at least half the punters in the league) if this young rookie shows that his current abilities and future potential will help the Buffalo Bills more than the memories of Moorman.

Let the competition begin!

I stopped reading after this.

:bag:

Then you are a fool. I explained why it is a BS stat on the basis of how good your team's offense is. Moorman's highest % of in 20 punts were during the Holcomb/JPL/Trentative era, where the offense would die out at midfield, frequently. Inside 20 is more of a stat of how often did the offense die out in between the 40's.

This kid is doomed for failure. Anyone who was trained by Greg Cater is in big trouble. Don't you remember that Greg Cater is the source for the popular phrase 'He catered it'! This refers to a 20 yard shank off the right side of the foot.

You don't have to be great at doing something in order to coach someone else on how to do it.

Then you are a fool. I explained why it is a BS stat on the basis of how good your team's offense is. Moorman's highest % of in 20 punts were during the Holcomb/JPL/Trentative era, where the offense would die out at midfield, frequently. Inside 20 is more of a stat of how often did the offense die out in between the 40's.

You have absolutely no evidence to support this. I defy you to breakdown the game logs to prove what I KNOW to be a completely false statement: that drives more frequently stalled in parts of the field more favorable to inside-the-20 punts during a specific period of time in Moorman's career.

Plus, anyone who watched the Bills last year and the year before can attest to the fact that Moorman flat out MISSED opportunities to put one in the coffin corner by chronically booting it into the endzone.

You want to cut someone while they still have something in the tank rather than waiting for too long and they are on empty. That last year is wasted at that position if you wait to long. I could see Moorman getting cut for the new kid.

Edited by Fan in San Diego