Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

So Brees was a perfect fit for the system his coach wanted him to play in and he won a super bowl? What an ass

Agreed.

I hate the system argument sooo much. I hear it with Brady all the time too. Who isn't a system QB?

You know who would be really good in a Bills uni? Drew Brees. Different system, but I bet the same results. Why? Cause the dude is a HOF QB.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I hate the system argument sooo much. I hear it with Brady all the time too. Who isn't a system QB?

You know who would be really good in a Bills uni? Drew Brees. Different system, but I bet the same results. Why? Cause the dude is a HOF QB.

I know. When the systems based on accurate downfield passing, mobility in the pocket, and complex reads... The reason he's on such a great system is because the system doesn't have to hide any big weaknesses.

I don't think people get "system qb" refers to someone you have to hide with a system, not someone that makes the system

He couldn't throw til the start of the next season. Even then it was an issue. Of course it was tough to get guaranteed dollars. Fact is they could've not franchised him the year before, or not offered him at all. Offering 5 years 50m, even without big promises was a good deal. I also enjoy how you neglected how good he played in that other system.

Lol taking a ahot at me after egg all over your face for not presenting the full terms of the his "great" 50mm deal he mysteriously turned down (because it was really only 2mm Double lol) System isn't the right word for why they soured on him in SD, talent was. They were regarded as the most talented team in the league yet couldn't even get to the big one, let alone win it. Brees had a penttient for laying eggs in the playoffs, even losing a home game to the mighty chad Pennington. That plus being undersized and injured spelled the end.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Lol taking a ahot at me after egg all over your face for not presenting the full terms of the his "great" 50mm deal he mysteriously turned down. Double lol. System isn't the right word for why they soured on him in SD, talent was. They were regarded as the most talented team in the league yet couldn't even get to the big one, let alone win it. Brees had a penttient for laying eggs in the playoffs, even losing a home game to the mighty chad Pennington. That plus being undersized and injured spelled the end.

I think your mixed up. Rivers had the bulk of that talented team acquired in the eli trade on his resume. The 12-4 season was the only playoff game drew had on his record with SD - didn't realize that loss Qualified as a reputation. That and he brought them back down 10 in the 4th to a missed nick Kaeding kick from 40 in overtime before losing. It's ok.

31-42 for 300+ and 2 tds is an awful playoff game.... He did throw that pick after all.

Is it that hard to say he was a pretty good young player?

Edited by NoSaint

Never said be wasnt. He was a good player with question marks about his ability perform in post season and stay healthy. Ie could he be great? Obviously the chargers and others had their doubts. Heck Miami opted for that dud culpepper over him. The team that stuck their neck out for him was Payton and the saints. And do I think he benefitted greatly under Payton's system and the teams overall support? Yeah damn straight I do. Only ring on his finger proves it. Why can't you admit that?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Never said be wasnt. He was a good player with question marks about his ability perform in post season and stay healthy. Ie could he be great? Obviously the chargers and others had their doubts. Heck Miami opted for that dud culpepper over him. The team that stuck their neck out for him was Payton and the saints. And do I think he benefitted greatly under Payton's system and the teams overall support? Yeah damn straight I do. Only ring on his finger proves it. Why can't you admit that?

:beer::lol:

If his shoulder healed, he was regarded as an emerging qb crossing that threshold. It wasn't like he had a ton of question marks. Hence teams were willing to go after him with high ceiling deals, that let them out if the surgery failed. Of course having a good coach helped - but there are very few qbs that could run the SP playbook wide open and further drew has helped create that playbook. The schemes good because they have a guy that is smart, has a quick release, possibly the most accurate arm in the league, and can go downfield.

Baloney. He wasn't a lock to be "crossing the threshold" in anyone's mind. He was the qb of the consensus most talented team in the nfl who were headed in reverse going 9&7 finishing 3rd in their division versus 12&4 the year prior. his lone playoff appearance the year prior was a loss at home to the underdog jets wherein he coughed up a very costly pick and managed to produce only 17 pts All your fantasizing that he walked on water when he arrive on new Orleans shores won't change that.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Baloney. He wasn't a lock to be "crossing the threshold" in anyone's mind. He was the qb of the consensus most talented team in the nfl who were headed in reverse going 9&7 finishing 3rd in their division versus 12&4 the year prior. his playoff appearance the year prior was a loss at home to the underdog jets wherein he coughed up a very costly pick and managed to produce only 17 pts All your fantasizing that he walked on water when he arrive on new Orleans shores won't change that.

Yes, he was given a deal with 20m guaranteed without being able to throw a ball because he was a limited talent qb that's lucky to have his coach. You win.

Baloney. He wasn't a lock to be "crossing the threshold" in anyone's mind. He was the qb of the consensus most talented team in the nfl who were headed in reverse going 9&7 finishing 3rd in their division versus 12&4 the year prior. his lone playoff appearance the year prior was a loss at home to the underdog jets wherein he coughed up a very costly pick and managed to produce only 17 pts All your fantasizing that he walked on water when he arrive on new Orleans shores won't change that.

Rivers had the talented team (plus the emergence of Vjax) that your speak of and did squat w/it as well.

And do you really think it was talent that SD soured on, or the fact they had a top 5 QB draft pick waiting in the wings. Money was an issue too.

Edited by stony

Never said brees was a bum, I said he was good. Clearly I'm pointing out factors which raised question marks about him, providing balance to "he walked across the gulf waters on his way to new Orleans" perception some have.

And yes having rivers waiting in the wings made him more expendable in SD.

I probably saw Jim Kelly play in person about 12 times.

But the best quarterbacking performance I've ever seen was when Brees lit up London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Aaron Schobel, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Lawyer Milloy, Sam Adams, and Jabbari Greer to the tune of 48-14 in 2005.

Brees was flawless as he quickly found receivers and threw perfect balls which defeated tight coverage… over and over again. I'd swear the only incompletions were passes that his receivers dropped.

Granted the weather was perfect that day but I never imagined that a quarterback could throw with such touch and accuracy. Every throw had perfect location, velocity, and trajectory.

The performance was a revelation.

I doubt his offensive coordinator that day was the same offensive coordinator he's had in New Orleans.

In fact I know it's not the same OC.

But it is the same quarterback.

I probably saw Jim Kelly play in person about 12 times.

But the best quarterbacking performance I've ever seen was when Brees lit up London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Aaron Schobel, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Lawyer Milloy, Sam Adams, and Jabbari Greer to the tune of 48-14 in 2005.

Brees was flawless as he quickly found receivers and threw perfect balls which defeated tight coverage… over and over again. I'd swear the only incompletions were passes that his receivers dropped.

Granted the weather was perfect that day but I never imagined that a quarterback could throw with such touch and accuracy. Every throw had perfect location, velocity, and trajectory.

The performance was a revelation.

I doubt his offensive coordinator that day was the same offensive coordinator he's had in New Orleans.

In fact I know it's not the same OC.

But it is the same quarterback.

Yea - there are a few of those games I've seen that are just unreal. Precision I've never imagined. 72% on the season with 5500 yards was just ridiculous to watch and requires such consistency. If he played til the end of all the games he would've possibly broken 6k yards and 50tds. That's video game numbers.

Pete Carmichael (saints OC) was actually the qb coach for SD. That staff was pretty stacked on the offensive side.

Edited by NoSaint

Yea - there are a few of those games I've seen that are just unreal. Precision I've never imagined. 72% on the season with 5500 yards was just ridiculous to watch and requires such consistency. If he played til the end of all the games he would've possibly broken 6k yards and 50tds. That's video game numbers.

Pete Carmichael (saints OC) was actually the qb coach for SD. That staff was pretty stacked on the offensive side.

Holy Crap!

Carmichael was on both staffs?

I apologize and stand corrected.

+1

Brees was the lynchpin to changing the fortunes of a franchise that spent 40 years in the basement. He's not only the unquestioned leader of the Saints but has been public figure #1 in his city while it recovered from the worst disaster any US city endured in a century. Brees is worth the entire salary cap all by himself for what he has meant to New Orleans.

you said it and i agree.

People forget that part sometimes. I think he is worth it whatever he asking for.

Might be his last contract so he might hold out.

If you want to be paid like the man, like the face of the franchise, then you suck it up and show up until the deal gets done. You can't be the leader of a franchise and then pull this holdout bull. Fred Jackson played well beyond his contract for two years, and never once held out. He acted like the face of the franchise.

While the Saints burned, Brees played his fiddle.

Never said brees was a bum, I said he was good. Clearly I'm pointing out factors which raised question marks about him, providing balance to "he walked across the gulf waters on his way to new Orleans" perception some have.

And yes having rivers waiting in the wings made him more expendable in SD.

:lol:

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

Well I disagree and I think he's being a selfish punk. That argument can be flopped over and one can say he should sign the deal being offered because its the right thing to do for the team. This guy who everyone thinks is pure as the driven snow is trying to take advantage of the saints at a desperate time.

Look at it from their perspective. This year they know will be a write off. So all that money brees wants will be wasted in 2012 Looking to 2013 when they get their coach back and some hope there'll likely be a rebuilding element. he'll be 34 at the start and 35 at playof time. This team needs money and cap space to rebuild, and with Brees demanding to be highest paid player he severely hampers their capacity.

Not that I'm a saints fan, but because breeis being such a selfish ass, I hope they hold their ground and do what's economically rational and right for that team in the longer run, and make him play this season on the 1 year franchise tag. .

Exactly and that is what I would do. Look the guy was good, not great, in SD. Only after getting with the HC and system they ran down there did he do well. I say you take him out of Peytons system and he is maybe a top 10 QB at best and that is a maybe. I feel he is screaming for a contract because he knows this and he will be exposed and never get the Big money after this season.

Holy Crap!

Carmichael was on both staffs?

I apologize and stand corrected.

I stand corrected. Carmichael was a quality assistant. Brian schotenheimer was qb coach. Staff also had cam Cameron as OC, clarence shelmon (later a coordinator also) and Hudson houck as line coach.... And of course Marty.

Exactly and that is what I would do. Look the guy was good, not great, in SD. Only after getting with the HC and system they ran down there did he do well. I say you take him out of Peytons system and he is maybe a top 10 QB at best and that is a maybe. I feel he is screaming for a contract because he knows this and he will be exposed and never get the Big money after this season.

Glad to see you don't just confine your ridiculous opinions to the Bills.