Nix or Polian ?

One of the worst moments in Buffalo Sports History was when Polian was fired. That being said Whaley should get the job when Nix retires. If Polian wants to come back in some capacity where he is involved with scouting but he reports to Whaley (highly unlikely though), I would be okay with that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what Nix has done so far. He's built a team with depth, but we still need to see if Fitz is the QB to take us where we need to be. Anyone trying to dismiss Polian's work because he had Kelly here and was able to draft Collins (who did well early) and Manning is a fool. So you're saying Polian was lucky or smart? He could have drafted Ryan Leaf over Manning, but he chose wisely. He built the Bills into an AFC powerhouse, the expansion Panthers into the NFC Championship game within 2 years, and the Colts have won a Super Bowl and have been to the playoffs 10 of his 14 years... does anyone really want to dismiss that? Seriously? I pray that the moves that Nix has made will pan out, and I'm happy with the way he's rebuilt the team, but it's only speculative on how it plays out on the field. Let Buddy have his day, he's earned it, but I loved Polian as our GM and hated to see him gone.

Nix is doing a great job, why even bring this topic up? Silly article if you ask me.

The premise of the article is strange to be sure considering the euphoria going around with this off-season. However, I thought it would be useful to get everyone's opinion as Polian is quite revered around some circles here.

Does Nix get the benefit of a #1 overall pick with one of the best QB prospects ever coming out? Because that helps the process along. Polian is a very good GM but he is also a fortunate one. He had Kelly on the roster already & got a #1 overall pick in Bruce Smith. He drafted Kerry Collins with a #4 overall pick. Then, he got Manning with a #1 overall pick.

As much as people want to make out the draft like it is rocket science, it isn't. It's al ot of luck. And once you get the QB, everyone else falls into place. If the Bills lose one more game and get to pick Big Ben instead of settling for Losman, TD is being praised on this board. If Luck is as good as people think he is, then whoever the Colts' new GM is is thought of as a genius.

I get people are mixed on Fitz. But it seems like Nix is building a quality team around him. If Fitz fails, a new QB will step into a much better situation than any Bills' QB in a long time.

NICELY PUT

Don't underestimate Polian's decision on this. At the time, Manning and Ryan Leaf were like a dead heat as to which to take first. That according to all the experts. He was smart enough to take the right one

I would take Polian over any GM in football past or present. You guys comparing him to Nix can't be serious. Polian has been a big winner everywhere he went

There you go, ruin the mirage.

Seriously Polian has done a lot more than he gets credit for here. Letting a Colts team "rot" LOL!

Maybe someday someone should layout a GM complete list of responsibilities. Most here have no idea.

Polian has done a hell of a lot more other than draft Q-Backs anywhere he has been. His kid is also gainfully employed with

another team. It's funny how a GM who hasn't shown anyone the baby yet, is more popular than one of the best GM's

in NFL history.

Go Bills!

Seriously Polian has done a lot more than he gets credit for here. Letting a Colts team "rot" LOL!

Maybe someday someone should layout a GM complete list of responsibilities. Most here have no idea.

Polian has done a hell of a lot more other than draft Q-Backs anywhere he has been. His kid is also gainfully employed with

another team. It's funny how a GM who hasn't shown anyone the baby yet, is more popular than one of the best GM's

in NFL history.

Go Bills!

:thumbsup:

Bills fans comparing Nix to Polian is like comparing apples to super bowl contenders, 4-12 & 6-10 compared to 4 trips with the Bills.... a 2x with the Colts, a SB win with the Colts.... 10 years of winning for the Colts org. Not to mention taking an expansion club to the NFC Championship after one year in Carolina. Bill Polian is a certain HoF GM / president and arguably the best GM the NFL has ever seen, if not the very best over the last 40 years.

You can opine all you want about the #1 draft pick and Polian walking into great situations with top draft choices. But the reality is that many many teams have had that first overall pick many times and screwed it up again and again. So many first round picks used on QB's or other players on teams that failed to even make the playoffs much less the SB. One great player isn't going to suddenly take a team to the SB, it takes a team!

Polian is a winner and whatever team he was in charge of, that team became a winner!

Right now everyone is high over the fact that the Bills finally got a pass rusher in Mario Williams....never mind that it took 3 years,and 100 million dollars to get here. Same thing with the O line, that finally after 3 years Nix decides to add a top draft pick to bolster it. 4-12 & 6-10 we all can hear that baby screaming but still haven't seen anything yet. 3 years of drafting in the top 10 and still no franchise QB. This years team still has some holes and is still very thin as several positions. For the love of gods green earth, Nix hasn't even had a winning season yet

Last year the Philly Eagles had a "dream team" with all those top free agents and went 8-8. With pro bowl Mick Vick at QB, pro bowl OT in JP, pro bowl WR in DeSean Jackson, pro bowl CB in Asante Samuel, pro bowl kicker in David Akers.

Buddy Nix has had 3 years, and although I like what he has done with the team this year in regards to free agency and the draft. This team still has to prove it can win with Chan Gailey calling plays all season.... regardless of injuries. The Packers won the SB with 15 players on IR.

So, if 72 something Buddy Nix decided to retire and there was a chance for the Bills to bring back Bill Polian ( who is also in his 70's)...I'd say, hell yeah!

I agree that Polian has done more than he gets credit for with some TBD posters, and "that was then, this is now"

I'd love to share the laugh - maybe you could share the joke? What else do you call it when:

1) a team plummets from playoff contention to picking 1st in the draft due to the loss of one 35 yr old player

2) said 35 yr old player had neck surgery of chancy and sometimes prolonged recovery in the offseason

3) despite 2) there was no discernable plan to acquire a quality, capable QB backup during the draft or FA, resulting in a scramble to lure a retired 39 yr old QB from retirement with minutes to learn the playbook just before the start of the season

4) there Colts never built a defense to match the quality of their offense

Sounds like "team rot" to me. What do you call it.

I think Buddy has done a decent job given the constraints he has to work with, and I give him a solid A on paper for this off-season. :thumbsup:

Polian, the future HOF-er, is still the obvious choice though for me, and it's not even close. Let Nix be his head scout, and we'll have the best of both worlds

I agree that Polian has done more than he gets credit for with some TBD posters, and "that was then, this is now"

I'd love to share the laugh - maybe you could share the joke? What else do you call it when:

1) a team plummets from playoff contention to picking 1st in the draft due to the loss of one 35 yr old player

2) said 35 yr old player had neck surgery of chancy and sometimes prolonged recovery in the offseason

3) despite 2) there was no discernable plan to acquire a quality, capable QB backup during the draft or FA, resulting in a scramble to lure a retired 39 yr old QB from retirement with minutes to learn the playbook just before the start of the season

4) there Colts never built a defense to match the quality of their offense

Sounds like "team rot" to me. What do you call it.

Well I'll tell ya. Since both you and I are "fans".Also, since we have zero inside knowledge of the Colts organization (or any for that matter) other than interweb hearsay. I have told my assistant to get a hold of Isray and Polian I want to debrief them, and will get back to you pronto. I'm sure their explanations along with the coaches will share some light as opposed to a moron saying the GM (and the GM only) left a NFL powerhouse franchise rot after their HOF Q-back went down.

Nix and Whaley.

I don't understand why Roth would even suggest this. Stupid IMO considering it's pretty clear there's a plan in place for Whaley to take over. Not to mention Nix has done a pretty good job.

Which brings up a good point, how much influence does whaley have in the building of our current roster?... are we giving him his due, or is he simply the beneficiary of nix's expertise?...hmmm

Polian seems like he does good turning a team around (aka, getting some first overall great QB's) but can't sustain for very long. Once Kelly was gone, the Bills were essentially done for the rest of his tenure. In Indy, no Peyton=no team last year. Hopefully Nix can put down a good foundation for a decent amount of time (nothing lasts forever)

Polian was fired years before Kelly retired.

Bill is a very good GM and is very respected in NFL circles. He turned around the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, and Indianapolis Colts. He is multiple time NFL executive of the year award winner, and was the GM for 6 Super Bowl's and 8 Championship games in the last 25 years.

His resume speaks for itself. I like Nix. I like Polian.

in NFL history.

Go Bills!

+1 :worthy:

:thumbsup:

Bills fans comparing Nix to Polian is like comparing apples to super bowl contenders, 4-12 & 6-10 compared to 4 trips with the Bills.... a 2x with the Colts, a SB win with the Colts.... 10 years of winning for the Colts org. Not to mention taking an expansion club to the NFC Championship after one year in Carolina. Bill Polian is a certain HoF GM / president and arguably the best GM the NFL has ever seen, if not the very best over the last 40 years.

You can opine all you want about the #1 draft pick and Polian walking into great situations with top draft choices. But the reality is that many many teams have had that first overall pick many times and screwed it up again and again. So many first round picks used on QB's or other players on teams that failed to even make the playoffs much less the SB. One great player isn't going to suddenly take a team to the SB, it takes a team!

Polian is a winner and whatever team he was in charge of, that team became a winner!

Right now everyone is high over the fact that the Bills finally got a pass rusher in Mario Williams....never mind that it took 3 years,and 100 million dollars to get here. Same thing with the O line, that finally after 3 years Nix decides to add a top draft pick to bolster it. 4-12 & 6-10 we all can hear that baby screaming but still haven't seen anything yet. 3 years of drafting in the top 10 and still no franchise QB. This years team still has some holes and is still very thin as several positions. For the love of gods green earth, Nix hasn't even had a winning season yet

Last year the Philly Eagles had a "dream team" with all those top free agents and went 8-8. With pro bowl Mick Vick at QB, pro bowl OT in JP, pro bowl WR in DeSean Jackson, pro bowl CB in Asante Samuel, pro bowl kicker in David Akers.

Buddy Nix has had 3 years, and although I like what he has done with the team this year in regards to free agency and the draft. This team still has to prove it can win with Chan Gailey calling plays all season.... regardless of injuries. The Packers won the SB with 15 players on IR.

So, if 72 something Buddy Nix decided to retire and there was a chance for the Bills to bring back Bill Polian ( who is also in his 70's)...I'd say, hell yeah!

Nicely put!!

I think Buddy has done a decent job given the constraints he has to work with, and I give him a solid A on paper for this off-season. :thumbsup:

Polian, the future HOF-er, is still the obvious choice though for me, and it's not even close. Let Nix be his head scout, and we'll have the best of both worlds

So how about this?

As another poster pointed out, Polian is 3 years younger than Nix.

With his track record Polian should theoretically still be able to land a GM position considering all the accolades.

So let's see how ardently Polian is pursued. If he's highly regarded within the NFL, he'll be a GM again next year at this time.

This offseason, besides the Indy job which Polian left, the Titans, Raiders, Rams, and Bears all had GM openings.

FWIW, Polian didn't interview for any of them although I think the Raiders had made a decision just about the time Polian was fired.

So how about this?

As another poster pointed out, Polian is 3 years younger than Nix.

With his track record Polian should theoretically still be able to land a GM position considering all the accolades.

So let's see how ardently Polian is pursued. If he's highly regarded within the NFL, he'll be a GM again next year at this time.

This offseason, besides the Indy job which Polian left, the Titans, Raiders, Rams, and Bears all had GM openings.

FWIW, Polian didn't interview for any of them although I think the Raiders had made a decision just about the time Polian was fired.

He may not want it, especially at his age. He has absolutely nothing to prove.

But since you want to play speculation, let's say all the GM jobs suddenly become available, and both Bill & Buddy want to be a GM. IMO Buddy will have one opportunity, and that is here in Buffalo, while Bill would have several. That's not a Buddy slam either, it just is what it is, Polian has accomplished what Nix has not.